Thread: now that was inconvenient.

now that was inconvenient.

first world problem, i know. Don't know if I'm getting down about my original generation SE phone starting to show its age. I wanted to get 10, maybe 15 years out of it like my little Samsung. Geez, it was impossible to text on that thing. But it worked like a phone should. They're telling us owners that we'll have unsupported phones ... 'in the future', whenever that may be. No date.

i was kind of hoping for 4 more years out of this phone, which would still be less than i got from a second hand popup phone. Am I the asshole for expecting 10 years, double digits out of a phone?
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: now that was inconvenient.

Once these tech sharks have a hook in you the line they reel you in with grows shorter with each passing day.

Welcome to the new world order.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Remember the term, "Planned Obsolescence?"
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    first world problem, i know. Don't know if I'm getting down about my original generation SE phone starting to show its age. I wanted to get 10, maybe 15 years out of it like my little Samsung. Geez, it was impossible to text on that thing. But it worked like a phone should. They're telling us owners that we'll have unsupported phones ... 'in the future', whenever that may be. No date.

i was kind of hoping for 4 more years out of this phone, which would still be less than i got from a second hand popup phone. Am I the asshole for expecting 10 years, double digits out of a phone?

Until recently iPhones lasted much longer than average cell phones. Mine usually go on for nearly a decade until they start stumbling.

Nearly everything "convenient" and high-tech these days depends on what I consider to be one of man's greatest inventions: The battery.

No battery lasts forever, though.

Many device makers make it extremely difficult to replace the batteries in their machines. Planned obsolescence.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Nearly everything "convenient" and high-tech these days depends on what I consider to be one of man's greatest inventions: The battery.

No battery lasts forever, though.

Many device makers make it extremely difficult to replace the batteries in their machines. Planned obsolescence.
    Replacing an iPhone battery is a 6 inch putt. Only takes a few minutes. Batteries are on Amazon. Better yet, go to the mall and pay the kid 5 bucks to change it. Some things require maintenance. Cars, boats, airplanes, all need the batteries replaced periodically. Phones are no different.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim