Thread: Momentary switch build:

TFF Stage Crew

Momentary switch build:

I am going to build a couple tap-tempo switches but never knew it would be so complicated. Am I looking for a "normally open" or "normally closed" switch?
    Thx

Re: Momentary switch build:

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    I am going to build a couple tap-tempo switches but never knew it would be so complicated. Am I looking for a "normally open" or "normally closed" switch?
    Thx
    Can you send me the circuit diagram? I'm going to GUESS you want normally open and probably a DPST configuraton. You might only need a SPST but the extra side is nice. There are some weirdo DT foot switches but they're pretty rare so you really need not worry about that part. If you get one buy a lottery ticket, lol.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I should add too that you want a momentary and not a latching switch for a tap temp too. Some effects use non-latching with a flip-flop and others use latching.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

TFF Stage Crew

Yes, the term "momentary" is in the thread title. There is no circuit diagram. The switch has two lugs & so does the Jack. My question is about 5he kind of momentary switch I need

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

While I’ve not looked at a schematic, upon press should be on. At rest off. Otherwise if you’re not using the switch, it will be constantly sending signal. No Bueno
    Mark

Yep, with no circuit diagram we can only guess, but I'd say get a momentary NO such as this

Soft Click SPST Momentary Foot Switch | Pro Grade Off-(On) (lovemyswitches.com)

Are you simply extending the switching from another device? A little more info on what you're building and we can get you dialed in. I probably have a few around here I can send you if you need them.

If you're replacing one you can just use a test lead across the contacts and see how the device reacts. If it reacts when you short the contacts it's a NO.

Chuck

TFF Stage Crew

I'm looking at building something similar to a Boss FS-5U. In the past couple of days I've figured out that its probably going to be the "normally off" type

You get it sorted or do you still need help?

TFF Stage Crew

Up to my elbows in my Volvo the past couple of days. Pretty sure I just need a "normally open" switch

Forum Member

My grand daughter contacted me last week looking for an obsolete tool for her boyfriend's 86! I was able to point to a more affordable meter, and suggest a few procedures that may fix his idle problem. I haven't heard back!

TFF Stage Crew

That's what I'm driving, an '86 240 DL. Looks like it has a collapsed valve spring which is just a fancy way of saying it is broken. So right now we are just going to get a fresh head & rebuild/recondition the old one

Forum Member

He has a 900 Turbo, I did a little research, and it uses the LH fuel system. There is some feedback through/from the ECM, but not like American cars of the time. It is more like the older Bosch systems, (I remember the early FI VW's had a separate set of points to trigger the injectors!)
    Broken springs used to be fairly common, I have an adapter to pressurize the cylinder with shop air, (and keep the valve closed), while compressing the spring and replacing it. (I haven't used it in years!)

My twin-charged XC90 is a sealed motor. Doesn't even have a dipstick! All I can add is windshield washer fluid. Anything else is dealer work, lol.