Thread: Other than Rock and Blues, the Music You Like Is...

Other than Rock and Blues, the Music You Like Is...

Many of our "what are you listening to..." thread, much of our focus on TFF is about the usual suspects: Hendrix, SRV, Buddy Guy, BB, Clapton, Trower, Beatles, etc. But what do we listen to when it's not rock or blues?

I like 60s and 70s pop. I often listen to Neil Diamond, James Taylor, Beech Boys, Roberta Flack, Linda Ronstadt, and all the one hit wonders like the under-appreciated Maria Muldaur. So many more pop songs from the beginnings of the recording industry til the 80s really.

Orchestral music of all kinds, including big band, classical, some jazz. Right now, symphonies. Ralph Von William, Mahler, and Brahms especially at the moment.

Novelty songs: DOA, Pencil Neck Geek, Dead Puppies, Fish Heads---Dr. Demento stuff. Weird Al. Ray Stevens's silly ones.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Other than Rock and Blues, the Music You Like Is...

I have long been a fan of contemporary ambient and what some erroneously call "new age" music. I noted recently the passing of Vangelis, who was one of the giants of the genre. There has been a fascinating evolution of what I sometimes refer to as "adult intrumental" music. I $ubscribe to a few streaming offerings and listen to a few others online that are free. I enjoy listening while I'm reading, exercising, or just relaxing.

By the way, I find ambient guitar way out of my league. The technology and creativity is just beyond me.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I enjoy "new country" from about the mid '90s onward......Little Texas, Travis Tritt, Tobey Keith, Reba, Shania, Brooks & Dunn, etc.

I think Brent Mason and Vince Gill are two of the most underrated guitarists on the planet.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

reggae
    classical - particularly Mozart, Berlioz, Beethoven
    Motown or does that fall under the rock category?
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Jazz.

PM:

Vince Gill is amazing. He's one of the few country musicians I really enjoy hearing. Much respect.

I love Berlioz too, Dan.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    Motown or does that fall under the rock category?
    Vintage Motown generally falls into the "R&B" genre while modern songs are usually categorized as "adult contemporary".

Vince Gill's performance of "Oklahoma Borderline" at Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival is pretty impressive. He tells a funny story about it also, how the audience started to go for a break when the "country guy" was introduced, but returned to their seat's once he ripped into the song.

I like 90's country, Brooks & Dunn, Rodney Crowell, etc. and even some classic country, George Jones, Conway Twitty, Willie Nelson, in addition to classic rock and blues.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

With 60 years “under the belt” as a pro musician I can honestly say that I have played and really like just about every type of music we have been exposed to. I’ve played rock, blues, country, rhythm and blues, polkas, jazz and Souza marches. I was doing stuff like “Foggy Day In London Town” and “Take Five” when my friends were being introduced to Freddie and the Dreamers and I was playing six nights a week in a night club act at seventeen years old. Probably the strangest music I’ve played was in a band called The Happy Schnapps Combo…polkas, ya gotta love it.

TFF Stage Crew

I went through a phase a couple years back when I was listening to & trying to learn a lot of western swing. Junior Barnard & Eldon Shamblin in particular, although there are a lot of guys that never got the noteriety they deserved. Lately I've been working on my gear more than my music, though

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    PM:

Vince Gill is amazing. He's one of the few country musicians I really enjoy hearing. Much respect.

I love Berlioz too, Dan.
    Another Berlioz fan here. I have 6 different versions of Harold in Italy and love them all. My favorite would be Dutoit with the Toronto Symphonie (Zuckerman on the Viola). Any 60's 70's rock, country rock, southern rock and early music (Medieval, baroque, etc..)
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

I'm not ashamed to say I like "New Mexico" music, even sing a few tunes when we jam. It is really great dance music, and you don't need to speak Spanish to appreciate it!
    This guy was dubbed the "King of New Mexico music" by our governor several years ago. He is also my brother in law's nephew, and his live shows are a lot of fun.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KlN4UK_Fb4

I listen to a lot of Hip Hop and Rap on the boat. And of course, I've been a Deadhead for over 50 years. Once in a while you get shown the light.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    I'm not ashamed to say I like "New Mexico" music, even sing a few tunes when we jam. It is really great dance music, and you don't need to speak Spanish to appreciate it!
    This guy was dubbed the "King of New Mexico music" by our governor several years ago. He is also my brother in law's nephew, and his live shows are a lot of fun.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KlN4UK_Fb4
    Ah, la música por la cantina......muy buena!

Tráeme por favor mas tequíla.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post

Back in my pilot days I remember flying over Texas, tuned into the border blasters, listening on the ADF. With a smuggled beer in my hand.

Good times!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post

Oh, man... Tequila. I remember the last time I tried to drink it. A drink called Ranch Water. I don't even wanna try to remember the rest of the night.

Forum Member

Tequilla was a mainstay in my younger drinking days, beer and shots! The last time I had a shot was too many years to remember!
    I the shop I apprenticed in, my bosses Guard buddies would come by after work, and we would have a beer or two. We had the radio on the only local station which starting about 5:00 was "Serenata Mexicana". One of the guys working with us said, "You know what kind of music that is?", "that's beer drinking music!"
    Last edited by Bill Moore; 06-01-2022 at 03:42 PM.