Thread: Jensen Neo Hot Rod Deluxe Question

Forum Member

Jensen Neo Hot Rod Deluxe Question

Been using a friend's stock Hot Rod Deluxe while my amp has been down. Band I use it with plays Motown, Stax, Chic, dancey type stuff. Sounds just great with my Tele neck pickup. So much so I've been looking at used ads. Found a bargain, but owner has a Jensen Neo 12-100 speaker in it. Less weight is really attractive, as is the high wattage on the speaker. Just don't want to lose the top end the stock speaker has. Listened to some clips of the speaker, but can't really get a good tell on it as most play with gain and distortion. Don't want to drive there and try it out only to find it's not to my liking. Anyone use one in their HRD ? I'm not looking for crazy highs, and generally keep the treble around 4-5, but I like good high extension so you know it's there if you need some extra spank. I've played through Jensens before and they have all been fine in that regard, just never tried one of their neos. I've read opinions of the neo models, Stealth, Tornado etc and the one in question from British voiced to neutral to warm, which is fine, but how is the top end? Would you describe it as a bright speaker overall ?

Re: Jensen Neo Hot Rod Deluxe Question

Finding any Hot Rod Deluxe that still works is a minor miracle in itself. Some folks had decent experiences with the HRD but it seems that they were never up to the rigors of gigging which as you know, finds the chink in your gear's armor rather quickly.

But yeah, the HDR does has a nice "spank" to it if you can live with the solid state reverb - which ain't half bad. I think the closest sounding amp to the HRD is probably the AC30.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim