Thread: 1964 Fender Mustang guitar case identification

Forum Member

1964 Fender Mustang guitar case identification

Hello,

I have a Fender Mustang that my dad passed on to me years ago, I was told it was a 64 model. I've seen many Mustangs online over the years but for some reason the case I have for this one doesn't look like any of the other early Mustang cases I've seen. This one is all black with white stiching, no Fender logo, red interior. Is this an original Fender case for this Mustang or something else? My dad was the second owner and aquired it sometime in the late 60's and its the only case it's ever had to my knowledge. Any help would be appreciated.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/ts87qJ9

Re: 1964 Fender Mustang guitar case identification

My guess is that it's "something else."

I'd say that maybe half the guitars I have are stored in non-original cases. Some of them I bought without a case and added a case later.

I don't put too much stock in "original" cases. Perhaps the one exception is my 2006 LE 60th Anniversary Telecaster. The case is a nice touch, but it's the guitar that counts!

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

I'd like to find out if this is an original Mustang case because I feel it would add value to have a matching case. The fact that it looks different from all the other Mustang cases makes me wonder if this is possibly a very very early case released during the first production year in 64, making the guitar itself one of the first ever made as well. If someone told me it was an aftermarket case and not Fender then who was making aftermarket cases back in 64? I can't find another example of this case anywhere which I find very interesting and it's something I'd like to solve if possible.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Fender did not "make" cases back in 1964. They contracted through Victoria Luggage Company to build them specifically (but not exclusively) for FEIC up until the mid '70s when they closed down. G&G then became Fender's new source of hardshell cases.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Fender did not "make" cases back in 1964. They contracted through Victoria Luggage Company to build them specifically (but not exclusively) for FEIC up until the mid '70s when they closed down. G&G then became Fender's new source of hardshell cases.
    Interesting Phantomman. I just looked at the label on the "Fender" cover for my 1969 Super Reverb and sure enough, Victoria Luggage Co. Inglewood, Calif.

@64Stang. Look for a label similar to the one in my picture to authenticate that it's an original case.

"When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    @64Stang. Look for a label similar to the one in my picture to authenticate that it's an original case.
    I'm not certain that the VLC label ever appeared on any of their guitar cases. As I recollect though, the early Mustang (and Duo-Sonic) HSC's looked similar to the Strat and Tele cases except that the Tolex (or Nubtex) covering was supplanted by a silver, non-textured material with random black speckles.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I'm not certain that the VLC label ever appeared on any of their guitar cases. As I recollect though, the early Mustang (and Duo-Sonic) HSC's looked similar to the Strat and Tele cases except that the Tolex (or Nubtex) covering was supplanted by a silver, non-textured material with random black speckles.
    Yes! I had a '66 Mustang and the case had a silver and black covering that I called skark skin, kinda (but not really) like a men's suit. I don't know when that started or ended, though.
    Last edited by Don; 05-26-2022 at 10:01 AM.

"Sharkskin" is a good descriptive, Don. These type of cases were original to the Mustang when the guitar was first introduced to Fender's line and remained so up until VLC closed down. IIRC this was about the same time that FMIC upgraded the Mustang with ash bodies and sunburst finishes. Cases for those latter instruments were made by G&G and were likely covered in black Tolex with black leather end caps.

The history on Fender's cases is something I find fascinating.

Thanks for the info, guys!

I've never seen or heard of a Fender Mustang case like yours. The case design is unlike any other Fender case I am aware of. The stitching on the leather trim on the case has a familiar look to it, as do the corner brackets on the ends, but the latches and handle are not something I've seen Fender use before. While your Mustang guitar fits fairly well in that case, there looks to be extra room at the bottom strap button area, which leads me to believe that it is/was an aftermarket case that happened to fit the Fender Mustang pretty well.

Of course, I am no expert and learn new things about Fender every day.

As an aside, I was born in Fullerton, California, in 1952, and lived there the first 20 years of my life. I was a huge Fender fan growing up there from about the age of 12 on. My next door neighbor and garage band mate, Greg Leisz (look him up), ordered a new Fender Mustang when they were first introduced and had to wait a few months for Fender to catch up with the early demand for that model. His Mustang came in the same style case mentioned above in this thread; typical rectangular shape construction, with that grey/black pebble covering, with bright orange satin lining. I don't think it had a Fender badge of any kind on it.

You can see some pictures of one here:

https://www.stillkickinmusic.com/pro...30186565238820

Hopefully someone with more Fender Mustang knowledge will find this thread and provide us with more definitive information. At this point, I would not consider your case to be an original Fender case for that model, but it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong on these kinds of details.
    Last edited by BobbyMac; 05-29-2022 at 06:46 PM.
    Born in Fullerton, California in 1952