Thread: Not Because of Jaco--Pickguard Removal

Not Because of Jaco--Pickguard Removal

I have listened some to Jaco but not enough to say I'm a fan. I've just never liked my tort pickguard.

I've obviously got to figure out how to hide the screw holes, control gaps, and the round hole. I'm not skilled enough to make those parts match the finish, so I'll figure out something tasteful.

The first photo is with filters, the second unedited.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Not Because of Jaco--Pickguard Removal

It depends on how handy you are. Maybe a different color pickguard would work? Or a specialty one, like wood (figured maple, stained like the body might look cool) or leather maybe.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    It depends on how handy you are. Maybe a different color pickguard would work? Or a specialty one, like wood (figured maple, stained like the body might look cool) or leather maybe.
    I appreciate the suggestion, but I really like the vibe without a pg. I'll think about a solution. I'm in no rush. I know I like it a lot better without the tort. If I did consider another pickguard, I'd more than likely look for an anodized gold one.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I agree that the pickguard-less look is pretty spiffy. If you don't play with a pick, it's just superfluous. Perhaps you can just fill the holes with wood putty and then paint over them? Or maybe even take a cue from the late Alvin Lee.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I agree that the pickguard-less look is pretty spiffy. If you don't play with a pick, it's just superfluous. Perhaps you can just fill the holes with wood putty and then paint over them? Or maybe even take a cue from the late Alvin Lee.

Well, I won't have to go that far.....maybe. I've got a wood plug for the circular thing. I have to get something removable to cover beside the metal tone/vol plate in case I need to get to the wiring there. Now if I played as well as the late great Alvin Lee, I might consider all those stickers.

TFF Stage Crew

Looks cool. If a pickguard is absolutely necessary, a clear one would be best to maintain that stripped down hot rod look

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    Looks cool. If a pickguard is absolutely necessary, a clear one would be best to maintain that stripped down hot rod look
    Thanks. I like it much better. That body is really too beautiful to cover it with plastic if I don't have to.