Thread: The Sunday Thread for May 22, 2022

The Sunday Thread for May 22, 2022

Well, I was waiting for someone to start a Sunday thread, but the forum seemed a bit deserted, so here it goes.

We hit our first 90°+ weather yesterday. As is typical for this region, Spring is one day and then it's Summer. Next, will come today's expected thunderstorms.

I thought to myself this morning how "comfortably numb" I am. I have guitars I enjoy playing, my credit score is high, my debts are low, my health is good (for a person my age) and I want for nothing. I finally broke down and bought a new sofa to replace the one I've had for over 15 years. This one has power recliners, USB charging ports, two electrical outlets in a fold-down table and cup holders galore. I can see how people become couch potatoes! I vow not to become one.

Several baptisms taking place at church today, so I hope to be witness. Other than that, it's reading, playing guitar, maybe watching some baseball and staying out of the heat.

Be well, everyone.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Re: The Sunday Thread for May 22, 2022

Awaiting to play a couple services today at church. After that it’s some chores around the house then off to see the new Downton Abbey movie.
    I’ve been to Highclere Castle twice.
    Mark

Hot here, too in Connecticut. I participated in a strategic planning session with Discovering Amistad yesterday (we own the ship, The Amistad), and the organization is finally ready to step up and start blossoming. The last organization was responsible for the ship when it was built 20 years ago, and pretty much ruined it - after 15 years the ship needed $1.3 million to be restored. The state took it back over, and the new organization was formed to bring it back to pristine condition. We now have the ship in good shape (mostly - with a real plan to continue that work) and a new Executive Director to keep things going in the right direction. We also have better funding to ensure we keep it up, and a new strategic partnership with Mystic Seaport, where it is housed when not sailing throughout Long Island Sound. It was fun being in a facilitated session where I wasn't the facilitator - that doesn't happen too often.

It will be hot today again - we'll do a trip to Home Depot this morning to get some supplies.... we have several ongoing projects that need attention. Then, no matter how hot it gets, I have to mow the lawn - it is getting really high and I haven't been able to get on it in over a week. This time of year it could stand to get cut twice a week.

Then it will be time to crash for a while. I got a new laptop last week and need to play around with it so I can review it. (Acer Predator, 12th gen I9 processor, 32 GB RAM, GeForce RTX 3800 video card... this baby screams!) ... I love being an Amazon Vine Voice!!!!! I'm amazed at how cool it stays for a laptop with that much juice... but I'm not surprised the battery lasts around a half-hour when it gets pushed. I also have a HiFi wireless DAC that needs to be tested and reviewed. So far I'm not really impressed - the wireless signal is nowhere near as good sounding as straight from a CD.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Sunny Sunday morning here. After my gallon of coffee I picked up a guitar and spent the rest of the morning jamming over some blues tracks and jazz standards.

Rheumatoid is making it more difficult to play. I suspect I have other hand issues as well. Last night, I played for about an hour, and when I went to bed, my hand was hurting so bad I thought I'd puke. And yet, I won't stop playing. I keep my hand splinted most of the day and night. I have a rheumatoid doc, but his office is so incompetent that I'm doubting the quality of care. I won't even get started on a doc I have for another condition--the doc prescribed a fatal dose of one of my meds, and if my pharmacist hadn't caught it, I might not be here now. Medical care in Northwest TN--guaranteed to kill you before your time.

And yet, life is beautiful. I love this time of year, watching the plants grow and seeing everything so green and alive. Every day, I drink coffee and survey my one acre for new plants, growing ones, flowers, etc. I've got other struggles, but life is beautiful as long as I can breathe and appreciate the smallest leaf to the starry sky.

There's poetry in a blade of grass--just ask Walt Whitman who, to quote the beginning of a poem, said:

Spontaneous me, Nature,
    The loving day, the mounting sun, the friend I am happy with,
    The arm of my friend hanging idly over my shoulder,
    The hill-side whiten’d with blossoms of the mountain ash,
    The same late in autumn, the hues of red, yellow, drab, purple, and light and dark green,
    The rich coverlet of the grass, animals and birds, the private untrimm’d bank, the primitive apples, the pebble-stones,
    Beautiful dripping fragments, the negligent list of one after another, as I happen to call them to me or think of them....

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

This is our second 90F day in a row. Sometimes we get our hottest days of the year in May. We're not feeling the heat, though- we're recovering from covid and the house is sealed like a vault with the AC on (we'll feel the electric bill!). They say we should ventilate the house, but my allergies this time of year can be much worse than covid has been for me (that's not an exaggeration, and covid has sucked)!
    We're felling quite a bit better- we're at the point where you're mostly functional, bored as hell, and stir crazy!

I listed my Heritage H-150 on CL on May 13th and have let the ad languish without bumping it because we still haven't tested negative.

It’s a 55° overcast sky Sunday here on the western shore of Lake Michigan but we still took the new Vette out for a fun breakfast run…really enjoying this car!

Hope all have a great Sunday and new week!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    …really enjoying this car!
    Glad the force-projection FTX went well

Any pics?
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Glad the force-projection FTX went well

Any pics?
    OK

the heat is on today, outside that is. A/C seems to be keeping up. Our neighbor across the street is an A/C tech and loaded 1.5 pounds of refrigerant last week into our system. Gave us a great price. Would have been 3 times as much to go with the big dog company of the area.

Sold one guitar this week, working on the next 2 simultaneously. I took apart my P bass/Jazz neck build. Going to put the VM Jazz bass back together and get it listed. Find the parts for the precision bass build. I have a neck that needs holes drilled and to put a finish on it. This is from a project I started over 4 years ago. I haven't decided how I'm going to apply the finish. I might go with a tru oil rub. The rosewood is nice and black and probably in need of some oiling by now. Polish the frets, maybe need to file the fret ends. Bring the drill press in from the garage, put it on my bench. Since I won't want that hanging in my office for too long, I'll have incentive to get the project done.

Then the Epiphone LPC and the Sterling bass. Keep momentum moving. Start looking for used miter box/radial saw for working on music room. Got gobos and bass traps to build.

*edit - gracious, forgot to post this. been working on guitars all day. BTW - the a/c in this house is inadequate to stay on top of the weather conditions. My sister the architect commented last year that the rating of the unit was not enough for the size of the house. She was not wrong. We're probably going to have to put in a window unit to supplement the central a/c. It's just too damn expensive to buy a whole new unit right now. It's a 2 ton machine and we should have a minimum of 2.5, preferably 3 tons for this house. this is what happens when people cheap out on shit.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

A definite steamer here today. |went for a run with the running club this morning, did some religious school end-of-year celebrations with the kiddo, then went out for lunch and took him to a minor league baseball game today for his birthday. When we got home, the family across the street was having a graduation party for one of theirs so we went over.
    Most of the day outside, so I'm more than a little wilted. Drank plenty of water, but even so, I had one beer at the game and it hit me pretty hard. Gonna cool down a bit through the week, though, I hear.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.