Thread: Velcro:

TFF Stage Crew

Velcro:

I'm completely redoing my pedalboard from the ground up. Usually I bolt my pedals directly to the board so they stay put, but this time around I decided to try some 2" Velcro. Anybody have any tips/pointers/advice?
    Thx

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Velcro:

My pedalboard is small (five stompboxes) and everything is held fast with velcro. I've never had any issues with shit falling off or wandering out of position. The board itself is housed in a zippered attache-styled case.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I've had great result with good, name brand Velcro. The "Industrial" version that you get at the hardware store. The "velcro" that came with my Pedaltrain pedalboard was absolute rubbish and ended up in the trash really quickly (disclaimer: that was years ago-maybe they've improved it since then)!

I use velcro, but then you get those pedals whose "feet" are unremovable so that you've got so little room for velcro that it's hard to make the pedal stick.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I use velcro for all pedals except for the RAT, which has tall rubber feet. No problem whatsoever.

Forum Member

I guess I more or less "collect" pedals, and tinker with them, but often I trade for a pedal, and someone has covered the bottom with velcro. I use 3M velcro, but only on the area above and below the label on Boss pedals, I can turn the pedal board upside down, and nothing falls out!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    I guess I more or less "collect" pedals, and tinker with them, but often I trade for a pedal, and someone has covered the bottom with velcro. I use 3M velcro, but only on the area above and below the label on Boss pedals, I can turn the pedal board upside down, and nothing falls out!
    It seems like using anything more than 1 to 1.5 square inches of Velcro on each end of the bottom of the pedal is a waste- especially in my case, where I'm using a Pedaltrain pedal board that has rails that only contact those areas. Also, although folks often say that they have no problem with Velcro over a pedal's label, they seem to have a problem with it when I'm selling a pedal!

One final concern- every time I try to type "Velcro", I type "Velcor" and have to go back and fix it!

My beef with Velcro is that the pedal never feels firm when you stomp on it. They have a squishy feel. I had a Boggs box that would bypass the pedals (which were always on) and it has solid switches hard mounted. (It also has a clean/affected blender). Actually its around here somewhere. If you're interested I'll see if I can find it and send to you. May have an old rack box for your effects too. Nice thing is you don't need to bend over to tweak! That's the route I'd recommend if you have the money since it's easy and solid and you don't need a huge pedal board. Stage space at most clubs is at a pretty high premium. The other system I use (and really like!) is the BOSS pedalboard with the foam cutouts to hold your effects. Never had a single issue with it in several years and the pedals are solid and the wiring is clean. And it travels really well, you can just toss it into your vehicle and not worry about it. Mine probably lived in the car for about 6 months once.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Rather than Velcro, I use something else similar. I think the name is 3M extreme fastener. You can find it at HD or Lowe’s. Much heavier duty. Strong enough for heavy pedals such as wahs, expression pedals, even my Fractal controller. They even have a level of them known as permanent. PS: no squishy feel with this stuff.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotc...PESF/306769393
    Mark

TFF Stage Crew

3M makes a product called Dual-Lock. Maybe I'll give it a try

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

That’s it! That’s what I use.
    Mark