Thread: Clapton, COVID & U. S. Tour

Clapton, COVID & U. S. Tour

Eric Clapton has tested positive for COVID and has canceled several dates on his current European tour. At the same time, a brief U. S. tour was announced.
    [Eric Clapton has announced a brief run of U.S concert dates for later this year with Jimmie Vaughan.

The guitarists will start in Columbus, Ohio, on Sept. 8, then head to Detroit, Chicago and Pittsburgh, before wrapping up things with a pair of shows at New York's Madison Square Garden on Sept. 18 and 19.

The list of concert dates can be seen below.

Clapton's band will include Doyle Bramhall II, Paul Carrack, Nathan East, Sonny Emory and Chris Stainton, with Sharon White and Katie Kissoon on backing vocals.

These shows will be Clapton's first performances in the States since fall 2021 when he played a series of dates across the South. Before launching that tour, Clapton, a noted vaccine skeptic, stated he wouldn't perform at venues that required proof of vaccination. (This promise was ultimately not fulfilled.)

Clapton has also spoken openly about his disapproval of the U.K.'s lockdown restrictions, including vaccination requirements, and has collaborated several times with fellow vocal anti-lockdown advocate Van Morrison. They've recorded several recent songs together.

Clapton is currently on tour in the U.K. and Europe. Tickets for the upcoming run of U.S. dates will go on sale on May 20 at Clapton's website.

Eric Clapton U.S. Tour 2022
    Sept. 8 - Columbus, OH @ Schottenstein Center
    Sept. 10 - Detroit, MI @ Little Caesars Arena
    Sept. 12 - Chicago, IL @ United Center
    Sept. 13 - Chicago, IL @ United Center
    Sept. 16 - Pittsburgh, PA @ PPG Paints Arena
    Sept. 18 - New York, NY @ MSG
    Sept. 19 - New York, NY @ MSG
    Source: https://ultimateclassicrock.com/eric-clapton-jimmie-vaughan-2022-us-tour/[/SIZE]
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Clapton, COVID & U. S. Tour

Seems like a great opportunity to see him live. Getting to watch these guitar idols is getting more and more rare, as they age and pass away. I'd grab a ticket ASAP.

I recently saw a thread somewhere else about the OP having seen him play in London last month, it was a nice show.

I wouldn't mind seeing him but for the ticket prices. I paid 125 dollars back in the Blues From The Cradle tour, for seats against the back wall of the upper balcony. About as far from the stage and still be in the same building. This was after SVR was killed and the first news report said that Eric was amongst the dead. An hour later they corrected the report and I decided I was going to see him next opportunity no matter what.

This is 20 years later. I've seen him, crossed it off my list. Now if Jimmy Page were to do a tour, that I would go see. I've seen Jeff Beck so Jimmy is the last of the big 3 (former Yardbirds) I need/want to see.

Pete Townshend is another I want to see. Ditto Mark Knopfler. And of course, Macca. I've seen Peter Frampton (1976). Dave Gilmour (1990's)

Gary Moore's gone. Phil Lynott's gone. Peter Green. George Harrison. John Lennon.

Weird how they're all British
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing him but for the ticket prices. I paid 125 dollars back in the Blues From The Cradle tour, for seats against the back wall of the upper balcony. About as far from the stage and still be in the same building. This was after SVR was killed and the first news report said that Eric was amongst the dead. An hour later they corrected the report and I decided I was going to see him next opportunity no matter what.

This is 20 years later. I've seen him, crossed it off my list. Now if Jimmy Page were to do a tour, that I would go see. I've seen Jeff Beck so Jimmy is the last of the big 3 (former Yardbirds) I need/want to see.

Pete Townshend is another I want to see. Ditto Mark Knopfler. And of course, Macca. I've seen Peter Frampton (1976). Dave Gilmour (1990's)

Gary Moore's gone. Phil Lynott's gone. Peter Green. George Harrison. John Lennon.

I don't disagree all the way around. I saw Clapton a few times 15 or 20 years ago. I'm honestly good on seeing him again. I saw Page with the Black Crowes - a great show, but I wouldn;'t mind seeing him again. Gilmour I saw with Pulse tour, |I want to see him again.
    I've never seen Macca (or Ringo for that matter) - though my father-in-law's girlfriend has an in, the cost is astronomical for Paul.
    Same with Knopfler - I was going to see him a ways back, but he broke his shoulder or something and cancelled the tour.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

TFF Stage Crew

I've seen Knopfler a couple times. As a coincidence, he was Clapton's 2nd guitarist on tour (in 1988, maybe?), & just a few years ago w/a small combo opening for Bob Dylan. He's one of my favorite artists but Ironically I've never seen him headlining w/Dire Straits or his own band

I just tested positive for Covid. I wonder if Clapton wants to come over, hang out, and play guitar, while I praise his tiny bits of talent and show him how to play. :)
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I just tested positive for Covid. I wonder if Clapton wants to come over, hang out, and play guitar, while I praise his tiny bits of talent and show him how to play. :)
    Oh no, dude. Did you feel something coming on and get tested? So far 6 people I know have tested positive in the last 2 weeks.

Hey, maybe you can answer a question for me. When did Clapton play an Explorer, what era/albums? I've got one on order with the store that sold me my Deluxe.

It just came on and got worse in 24 hours. I’m ok. Just totally exhausted. Chills. Bone ache. Reminds me of a moderate flu. I’m a couch potato now. Excellent Explorer news, Dan.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Hey, maybe you can answer a question for me. When did Clapton play an Explorer, what era/albums? I've got one on order with the store that sold me my Deluxe.

I read that Clapton played a '58 Korina Explorer during his 1974-1975 tour. Purchased from Alex Musical Instruments in New York.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Thanks for posting that, OS!

thanks, OS

looks like it was around the 461 Ocean Boulevard era, which is when I started to get into Clapton's solo career.

TFF Stage Crew

You can't see it well in the pics, but I believe that was the one he had "circumcised"
    Here's a reissue:

what did he do to it?

Those amp heads look like Music Man sixty five reverbs. I wonder where they are now? Reverb has a few from that era at a "reasonable" price.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    You can't see it well in the pics, but I believe that was the one he had "circumcised"
    Here's a reissue:

Oh my! That is a pity! The charm of the Explorers are their ridiculous proportions.

TFF Stage Crew

what did he do to it?
    He cut the pointy end off the bass side of the butt