Thread: The First Sunday in May

The First Sunday in May

Well, here I am watching Kolchak the Night Stalker and starting this thread at a tic after midnight. I just got in the door from the gig I’ve played the last three nights in the pit band at an annual charity fund-raiser. Next week Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings we do it all again and it sure has been a fun thing to do.

Hope all have a great Sunday and new week.

Re: The First Sunday in May

Happy Sunday, everyone! May Day is like Christmas for the Left. I remember living behind the Iron Curtain and watching as the tyrants hauled out and paraded all their 'toys.' I think everyone is too beaten down by reality to attempt that kind of circus today.

I'm going to spend some time becoming familiar with my new toy today. I've been letting it acclimate, so today it gets its maiden voyage.

Yesterday, I started getting caught up with my back yard. The three weeks I spent at sea allowed the undergrowth to become overgrown, so I got some big yard bags and have been at work filling them up. The forecast calls for rain, so I may not get it all done, but at least I've gotten a good start.

Of course, there are photo to curate, so I'll be spending indoor time doing that. Nearly 1,100 taken during my trip, so it's fun reliving the experience by cropping, highlighting and trying to turn the mundane into something more. The story of my life.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

We have a dumpster and we're clearing out years of stuff! It feels good!

It also feels good that I sold a 2x12" cabinet on Friday and someone's supposed to come over to buy the Mesa Fillmore today! The Mesa Mark Five:25 may be next- a Princeton Reverb with a great distortion pedal is better, but I have a dysfunctional desire for amps with built in tube overdrive.

today I will combine my need for doing massive amounts of laundry with spending time in the cellar with my new toy. My brother is away until Tuesday so I have but a little time to blast without repercussions. I want to try to get all my electrics through the half stack before then. Then I tuck the speaker cab with amp back into the wall of boxes until the music room is done. My incentive to complete the task is very high now for some reason.

Of course it is the first nice day we've had in weeks, should hit the scorching blistering high of 70. Which means they have to roll out the cold water warning. I'm neither a boater nor fisherman, I won't be going onto (or into) any non-heated bodies of water before mid-July at the absolute earliest. August is pretty much the only month warm enough for swimming for me, and forget about the ocean. Only after a 4-5 day heat wave and even then it's barely tolerable.

After the failed procurement of the p bass from Japan, I'm still waiting for my refund which they said would be immediate. I'm trying to resolve this through eBay, they tell me to click on a link they say is in my order information except it isn't there. As far as eBay is concerned, the item is still on its way. The seller emailed me and said they don't have it. I wonder if I should go to Paypal now and get them on the case.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Howdy, my dear friends.

Going through hell regarding stress and a properly diagnosed post-covid neurochemical anxiety disorder (COVID: don't try this at home, kids!). Struggling with the meds, and I tell you, boys: it's been a ROUGH couple of weeks. I've never been a weak dude, but I gotta say that this MF'cking virus does hit hard on some of us, in many different ways. Being a family man and having both my old folks and my wife and daughter/stepdaughter is what's helping me the most.

The situation is even worse because I am having to survive without my band activities. Band practice is virtually impossible, as our day job schedules are no longer compatible and I live 80 miles from the capital, where the band is based. So... shit. No gigging since November 2019! Recording my songs is kind of away from me too, as I need the boys to put together drums, bass, voice and my guitar.

Anyway, enough whining. Not my thing, really. At least it never was.

Breakfast with wife and stepdaughter, watched some TV and shopped for groceries. Then came to my old folks' to check on them and decided to stay and have my usual Sunday evening's 6-pack of Budweisers with the old man, he just finished his 10th or 12th reading of "The old man and the sea" and we discussed a lot of big game fishing (which he used to master) and baseball (you know, Joe DiMaggio and the Yankees).

Picked up my black strat for some blues but lacked enthusiasm, so it's back in its case and I'm finishing my beers while browsing the internet as dinner gets ready (I bought the ingredients for a spicy bot of baked beans with brown sugar and a lot of bacon to indulge myself with a comfort 'cowboy' dinner before facing another week. I work like a horse, and I bought this, so as Hemingway would say," 'I've got a right to eat this kind of stuff if I'm willing to carry it', Nick said.").

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

A beautiful day here. Low to mid 70s and no humidity. After church. I did a couple top down drives (got about 4 hours in), did some chores, and now putting strap locks on a couple new straps. (1 a replacement for the Duesenberg (it wasn’t padded), the other for the Dingwall (it was sharing a strap with the Ric))
    Hoping to hear more in the next day or 2 on some great paying sidework. Hoping I convert it to a FT W2 gig. If so, there’s a used Gibby CS R9 in my sights.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    A beautiful day here. Low to mid 70s and no humidity. After church. I did a couple top down drives (got about 4 hours in), did some chores, and now putting strap locks on a couple new straps. (1 a replacement for the Duesenberg (it wasn’t padded), the other for the Dingwall (it was sharing a strap with the Ric))
    Hoping to hear more in the next day or 2 on some great paying sidework. Hoping I convert it to a FT W2 gig. If so, there’s a used Gibby CS R9 in my sights.
    That reminded me that I need some straplocks for my Rickenbacker.

I highly recommend Walker and Williams straps. They are my go to now (yes I tend to have a strap unique to each instrument ). They are quite well made and they even have an Amazon store

I needed their regular length 4” wide double padded (B-4B) in black for the Dingwall. They just got more in stock.
    Mark

I highly recommend Walker and Williams straps. They are my go to now (yes I tend to have a strap unique to each instrument ). They are quite well made and they even have an Amazon store

I needed their regular length 4” wide double padded (B-4B) in black for the Dingwall. They just got more in stock.

I own one of their straps and I do like it:

However, I was referring to strap locks. Rickenbackers are Schaller-equipped and even come with the appropriate strap buttons, so I guess I'm gonna need a Schaller friendly set.

Oh yes. I use Schaller style as well. That strap in your picture, view it in a dark red. That’s the strap for my Ric 360/12

My 2009 360/12 and 2018 4003 both came with strap knobs that automatically accepted Schaller lock parts on the strap alone.
    Mark

Our day here started off with overcast skies and occasional raindrops with temps in the low 40°s. The bummer was that I just had our new Corvette detailed and wanted to bring it home as pristine as it was when finished. After juggling the clock and Mother Nature, we managed to get the car home and garaged with no road slop added to it’s finish.

Somehow i never checked in yesterday... We had yard cleanup to do. Wind knocked over a rotted tree a week or so ago and we had to get rid of it. My little Greenworks electric chainsaw actually made short work of it - with an 8" trunk at the base. Got the mower ready, did the lawn and "summerized" the snowblower.

Today (Monday) is Mrs. Junkie's and my 24th anniversary. I wasn't sure we'd make it, but once she quit drinking life has been wonderful. She is calling May 17 her sober date - it will be one year on the 17th since she realized alcohol no longer controlled her life. She actually hasn't had a drink in nearly two years, but the struggle continues.

I'm up early since there was some kind of heavy equipment grinding up the streets all night. The sucker made on hell of a racket. Why they pick a work night to do this, I'll never know....
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain