Thread: Tilt back legs worth using?

Forum Member

Tilt back legs worth using?

Hi, I just got hold of a new tonemaster blonde twin which sounds great, havent had a chance to gig it yet due to catching "IT" this weekend and having to cancel my gigs. It sounds great in the house, but am wondering if the tilt back legs will make a difference to the sound at gig volume without the stage contact of standing free? Anyone have any experiance of using tilt back legs on any amp?

Re: Tilt back legs worth using?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterVV View Post
    Hi, I just got hold of a new tonemaster blonde twin which sounds great, havent had a chance to gig it yet due to catching "IT" this weekend and having to cancel my gigs. It sounds great in the house, but am wondering if the tilt back legs will make a difference to the sound at gig volume without the stage contact of standing free? Anyone have any experiance of using tilt back legs on any amp?
    oh, jeez. That's almost as bad as crashing your motorcycle the day of a gig. Get well soon. I do not have any experience with tilt back legs, though.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

In fifty-five years of owning and playing Fender amps I have NEVER found need for the tilt-back legs.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

What I like better than using tilt back legs is to place the amp on a stand. I have this one from On Stage Stands. It can support up to 100 pounds (if I remember correctly) and is adjustable. If nothing else, it makes it easier to adjust the controls as they are closer to eye level. It would probably be a 2 person job to get a Super Reverb or Twin Reverb up on the stand, but I use it with my smaller amps.

(Sorry for the out of focus photo, I just grabbed my phone to take a quick shot)

"When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    What I like better than using tilt back legs is to place the amp on a stand.
    +1

My "stand" is generally an extension cabinet as with this Dual Showman enclosure propping up my Twin Reverb......

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

TFF Stage Crew

When I was gigging regularly in the '90s, I used the tilt-back legs on my Super Reverb at every chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    What I like better than using tilt back legs is to place the amp on a stand. I have this one from On Stage Stands. It can support up to 100 pounds (if I remember correctly) and is adjustable. If nothing else, it makes it easier to adjust the controls as they are closer to eye level. It would probably be a 2 person job to get a Super Reverb or Twin Reverb up on the stand, but I use it with my smaller amps.

(Sorry for the out of focus photo, I just grabbed my phone to take a quick shot)

the face of every guitar I own would be gouged to hell and back by my leaning in and trying to read the controls with my crappy vision.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I've always been a chair guy. I prefer the sound with the amp up off the floor for small venues, If it's a stage then on the floor with an iso pad.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I always have flight cases made for my amps, and use them as stands wherever I practice/gig:

Otherwise I just put them on a stand or crate if there's one around (I prefer a crate, some stands aren't safe):

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    I've always been a chair guy. I prefer the sound with the amp up off the floor for small venues, If it's a stage then on the floor with an iso pad.
    Me too, I like the amp to be a bit higher from the ground. Sounds better to my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcane View Post
    Me too, I like the amp to be a bit higher from the ground. Sounds better to my ears.
    Higher frequencies are more directional, meaning if you have the speaker pointing in the direction of your ears, you will hear the "true" sound the speakers are producing. Bass frequencies spread around the room, so your position relative to the speakers will have limited effect on what you hear. However, bass frequencies can accumulate in the corners of rooms, which is why studios use "bass traps" to reduce this unwanted effect.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PeterVV View Post
    Absolutely. Just finished 15 gigs with a band that had the most reserved stage volume I've ever experienced. But I stilled needed to hear myself. I tilted the amp back and aimed it right at my head. It was perfect. I had all the volume I needed and was still well within the controlled stage volume levels. That was with a '65 Deluxe. It didn't have tilt back leg but I wish it had. I have them on my Blues Deluxe and I'm about to put them on my '59 Bassman.
    Anyone see any instructions on how to install them properly?

Quote Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
    Absolutely. Just finished 15 gigs with a band that had the most reserved stage volume I've ever experienced. But I stilled needed to hear myself. I tilted the amp back and aimed it right at my head. It was perfect. I had all the volume I needed and was still well within the controlled stage volume levels. That was with a '65 Deluxe. It didn't have tilt back leg but I wish it had. I have them on my Blues Deluxe and I'm about to put them on my '59 Bassman.
    Anyone see any instructions on how to install them properly?
    I would measure the exact position of the 2 screws on your Blues Deluxe, then measure the side of the Blues Deluxe and '59 Bassman, and adjust the screw positions on the Bassman to account for the size difference of the 2 amps side panels. The tilt back legs also come in different lengths, for different height amps. Your Bassman probably needs the 19" legs, as it's about the same size as my Super Reverb.

Edit: If you would like the measurements of the 2 screws on my Super Reverb, let me know.
    Last edited by Michael Smith; 06-01-2023 at 05:21 PM.