Thread: Desperately need some wiring help

Forum Member

Desperately need some wiring help

Hey guys, so I've got a problem. First off, I'm a fairly new guitar builder, and I'm currently working on rebuilding an old Silvertone HSS strat copy for a younger person who's ready for his first electric. Never worked on a strat before. So anyways, this Silvertone had a shorted pickup, so I went ahead and ordered a 70's Squier HSS set for it. Everything was complete, just had no jack attached. I noticed there were 2 black ground wires, so I soldered one to the trem claw, and one to the ground on the jack. However, I then noticed that the hot wire that went to the jack really had 2 wires inside. The main wire is grey, inside is a tiny white wire, and also a non-insulated silver shield wire of a bigger gauge. I assumed the white is the hot, and the silver is the ground, and wired it accordingly, soldering the silver one onto the same spot as the black ground on the jack. Needless to say, they're not working! It's worth noting that the Silvertone's jack only had 2 tabs, I've seen jacks with 3 contacts, do I need to be using one?! Where did I go wrong? I've only built a few guitars, mostly LPs, CBGs, and a PRS clone, and never used or even seen pickups with 3 grounds... If anyone has any helpful advice, I would be beyond appreciative, and so would this youngster (he bugs me about his new electric every day lol)

Forum Member

Re: Desperately need some wiring help

BUMP

I will pay someone for an answer, how about that? Certainly somebody on a Fender forum has wired a damn guitar before right?

Re: Desperately need some wiring help

If you have a DMM, I'd disconnect the wires that you soldered to the jack and trace them back to where they're coming from.