Thread: Tuner pedals:

TFF Stage Crew

Tuner pedals:

anybody using a TC Electronics Polytune or a Peterson Strobostomp? I need opinions

Re: Tuner pedals:

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    anybody using a TC Electronics Polytune or a Peterson Strobostomp? I need opinions
    I like the Polytunes. They are easy to read in any light condition and they seem accurate. I also have a couple Polytune clip-ons that are really good for the same reasons.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I got a Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ST-300 in the metal housing. At the time of my search, they were a different housing of plastic. I found one in Japan and bought it. A little over a year later, apparently they started making them again in metal housing.

Love this tuner. Like to get another as a backup.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I like the TC Electronics UniTune clip on but haven't tried their PolyTune pedal. I imagine it's really good.

Like Dan, I use a Sonic Research Turbo Tuner, but I think mine is an ST-200. It's an awesome tuner!

To me, the key to a digital tuner working well at getting a guitar in tune has more to do with the interface than the accuracy of the tuner itself.

Cogs, I have never used either of the pedals you asked about but one thing I've learned over the years is that tuner pedals can be really bad about buffering and drop your signal way down. I've used the BOSS for years and it seems to be OK in that respect, but others I had to loop out to keep things sounding good. Just an FYI.

I dig my Boss because I have it setup for tuner bypass, that way if I change guitars I can just hit the tuner pedal and no noises or putting the amp on standby. Your speaker will thank you :)

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

TFF Stage Crew

The Sonic Research pedals are pricey! And used models are just not out there, unlike the TC Electronics & Peterson tuners. 1st gen Petersons are pretty cheap, but they are huge & would take up a lot of sq. inches on the board

I really like the Korg Blackout Tuner. I have one on my bass board, the other on my guitar board. I went through two Digitechs that died during gigs. The Korg is easy to tune to, and its range of "hearing" is respectable--Nothing gets my low B on the 5 string but it does so well. It's accurate and durable.
    Last edited by ch willie; 04-22-2022 at 06:15 AM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Well I’ll chime in. I have an old Peterson StroboStomp. Got it before I went digital (Fractal) in 2009. One of the few pedals I kept as it’s accuracy and sensitivity is enough to allow me to intonate guitars during setup within a cent of I’m paying attention.
    it’s old, ugly, but it works. Has even served as a DI box at times.
    Mark

Forum Member

I do own a Peterson clip on, and really like it, seems more precise when you watch the bars than the LEDs on my Strobo Clip or Boss TU-3. I had a Korg Blackout, and it was fairly easy to use, (I let it go with some other pedals, and a pedal board.)
    The steel players really like the Petersons for their ability to make customized presets, but I've heard good things about the Sonic Research on the forum also.

Consider a rack mount as well. Most of the pedals have dubious precision whereas putting one in your rack gives you a greatly expanded scale. Running it off of your power conditioner will tend to make it less "jumpy" too, along with no reliance on batteries or wall warts supplies that are notoriously noisy.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim