Thread: Delay pedals that work well w no effects loop?

Forum Member

Delay pedals that work well w no effects loop?

I recently picked up a custom shop low power Tweed twin which is great but as you know it doesn’t have an effects loop. all the delay pedals that I’ve tried running in front with the amp cranked sound jittery messy and unmusical. Any suggestions? I would love to get one of those Stryman timeline pedals and one of their reverb pedals but figure since they were digital they would sound even worse than the analog pedals I have. As a sound reference I’m wanting to get the big delay sound of David Gilmour Eric Johnson etc,, Thanks

Re: Delay pedals that work well w no effects loop?

Quote Originally Posted by RBrown View Post
    I recently picked up a custom shop low power Tweed twin which is great but as you know it doesn’t have an effects loop. all the delay pedals that I’ve tried running in front with the amp cranked sound jittery messy and unmusical. Any suggestions? I would love to get one of those Stryman timeline pedals and one of their reverb pedals but figure since they were digital they would sound even worse than the analog pedals I have. As a sound reference I’m wanting to get the big delay sound of David Gilmour Eric Johnson etc,, Thanks
    Considering tons of touring and recording professionals use the Strymon pedals, I'm guessing they sound pretty damn good. TBH I haven't used them myself - but all those guys can't all be wrong.
    Another option might be a tube reverb unit like Fender's vintage and reissued ones, or there's tons of clones and kits available.
    I do presume you've messed with the settings on the ones you have tried, of course? as the amp goes up sometimes you do need to adjust the levels - what sounds good quiet doesn't always sound good loud.
    I also don't know the amp that well, is there an effects loop you can try it through?
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Forum Member

Re: Delay pedals that work well w no effects loop?

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    Considering tons of touring and recording professionals use the Strymon pedals, I'm guessing they sound pretty damn good. TBH I haven't used them myself - but all those guys can't all be wrong.
    Another option might be a tube reverb unit like Fender's vintage and reissued ones, or there's tons of clones and kits available.
    I do presume you've messed with the settings on the ones you have tried, of course? as the amp goes up sometimes you do need to adjust the levels - what sounds good quiet doesn't always sound good loud.
    I also don't know the amp that well, is there an effects loop you can try it through?

well,,, The problem I was having was I was running my universal audio OX at the wrong ohms into the Tweed twin!! I was running it at four ohms and it should’ve been eight. Holy hell what a difference. At four I was basically floor boarding a car in third gear so everything sounded strained on the verge of exploding. Now it’s smooth and purring like a kitten. :) I got the Strymon blue sky and the dig delay pedal running them both upfront and they sound great now.