Thread: Grabbed a 2017 Mustang player

Forum Member

Grabbed a 2017 Mustang player

Well I'm 59 , played since I was 16, about 22 years ago had a accident at work that jacked up my left hand which made it hard to articulate so I gave it up , admittedly I was never good ,would say a seasoned intermediate player

Sold everything but the Takamine, dug it out a few weeks ago and started sitting on the porch and started doing exercises , picking and fingerings trying to get the muscle memory

Well caught the bug , seen a Fender 112-90 Amp for $125 in a local pawn shop. 90's Amp, put half down on it , they had a silver MIM Mustang that caught my eye in perfect condition. Doesn't even look like it's been played , has the P90 pickups

Well grabbed some old tools that I do not use anymore went back and worked out a even swap for the guitar , going to go pick the Amp up Friday, I'm pretty happy with both the Amp and guitar

Forum Member

Re: Grabbed a 2017 Mustang player

I want to give it a some tlc , like fretboard conditioner , clean the bridge and machines,etc

What would you recommend for strings for it , I read where the shorter frets are more slinky

Forum Member

Oh , it's the real pretty silver with pearl guard , p90 pickups , rosewood fretboardwhat does a Mim Mustang run , they had $850 on it , thought that was high , am I missing something?

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Congrats on your return to the passion and welcome to the forum.

We'll need pics of the new acquisitions of course......

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

850 might be a bit high but then so are many things these days. Welcome to the forum and back to guitar playing. I had a 5 year layoff from playing after breaking my left hand in a motorcycle accident, back in '78. 5 years later, after a super close call with industrial machinery, I woke up and realized how much I would have missed playing if I had been but a tick of a second slower. The last *counting on fingers and toes* 39 years have gone by too fast.

Fretboard conditioners abound. Doctor Fret is good. I have Formby's Lemon Oil Treatment, the 12 oz bottle will outlive me. Depending on how dry the rosewood is, once a year or every other year is usually enough. Put a little on a piece of cloth or paper towel, you don't want it dripping that's way too much. Just enough to put a wet sheen on the fingerboard. Let sit about 10 minutes and buff dry with cloth or paper towel.

Beware of GAS ( Gear Acquisition Syndrome). It pervades the internet and is highly infectious. Makes the latest version of some recent pandemic pathogen seem like a rock in comparison. It's even here in this forum and now it's too late for you. Mwuahahahahaha. Resistance is futile, prepare to be assimilated. Plus we have fresh-baked cookies
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

Thanks fellas , yup picked up some Lemmonn oil fret conditioner , plan on restringing both and giving both a good cleaning while the strings are off

The Takamine really faired well for being in storage for so long , no noticeable fretboardshinkage , neck is straight ,strings even all the way down and throws a nice sound

Figure I will try and build up on the acoustic and play the mustang for a treat until I can get the fingers to cooperate again

I will get a pic up Friday when I pick up the Amp, got a nice 10 ft patch cord on the way

Love these new clamp on tuners , that's really new to me