Thread: Chickin' Pickin'

Forum Member

Chickin' Pickin'

If anyone is interested, one of the mods on the "other" Fender Forum (FDP) liked my CD, started a thread about it, and an .mp3 has been posted. Go to Moe's Tavern and scroll down to "Hidden Talent on the FDP"-- the thread was originated by MSB. I played all the instruments on it-- electric and acoustic guitars, harmonica, bass, banjo, etc.

Forum Member
    How do you do that "chicken pickin'" thing? Is a Tele required or is a Strat usable?

Suggesting that people from this board go visit the EffDeePee might be unwise.

Forum Member
    Bring it over here! Let's hear this? I won't visit that other site. Never have, never will.

Forum Member
    I wasn't trying to start nothin'. I just don't have a clue about how to post an .mp3-- someone else posted it over there. A Tele is the guitar of choice for that kind of stuff, but I don't find a Strat at all unobjectionable-- it's more of how you approach it/ the technique than whether it's a Tele or a Strat.
    Last edited by 59 Strat; 08-01-2002 at 04:07 PM.

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace
    Originally posted by Tremo
    How do you do that "chicken pickin'" thing? Is a Tele required or is a Strat usable?

Suggesting that people from this board go visit the EffDeePee might be unwise.
    Strats are very usable for chicken pickin. My biggest chicken picker influence the late Eddie Shaver always used strats. Anyone who thinks a strat won't doo, check out Billy Joe Shaver's "Live Unshaven" album. Eddie was a monster.

Forum Member
    Yea-- didn't he play an old, beat up vintage Strat? I LOVE that tune about "... I got a good Christian raisin' and an eighth grade education-- ain't no need in you a treatin' me this way"-- the chick from the B-52s was in the video-- is that the guy?

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace
    That's him. I've got some recordings of him when he was 15 on Austin City Limmits (playing the same strat). It was in the early 80's. He was a monster back then also. Him and the early 80's Vince Gill stuff is what got me hooked:-)
    Last edited by Fendercrazy; 08-01-2002 at 04:57 PM.

Forum Member
    Was he Billy Joe's son? I don't really know a lot of Billy's Joe's stuff, but the aforementioned tune was killer. I recognized him (Billy Joe) in a Robert Duvall movie a while back-- he is a good actor, too.
    Last edited by 59 Strat; 08-02-2002 at 05:54 AM.

Forum Member
    Standin' at the crossroads, shoutin' at the devil.
    Chicken pickin' takes practice! You put either your thumb and index finger, middle finger, or ring finger on the same string. First, you pull up with your finger. Immediately afterward you pluck down with your thumb. Also, both fingers must be on at the start of each repetition. The thumb mutes the finger and them creates the second, clear tone. This process can only take a fraction of a second, similar to a delay set at a very short time setting. I've seen players go into a chicken pickin' solo and shatter people's minds as well as their eardrums. Cool effect in my opinion! :)
    The man with magic hands.

Forum Member
    I tend to call any of that Telewackin' stuff chickin' pickin', but my tune isn't the "clucky" thing you're taking about. My tune is the country style of picking where I'm using a combination of a pick and my ring and middle fingers-- Brent Mason and a lot of those Nashville cats do it.

Are there any Bob Wills Texas Playboys CD sets avail?

I was at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame last week and Eldon Shamblin's Strat was there. Very early model.

I guess they were more of a Texas Swing Band though.

brianf
    Oh Man!!! I never knew Fender made amps too!!!

Forum Member
    Stroker-- I went out today and dug up the tune we were talking about-- I didn't realize it until you mentioned it, but the Shaver tune ("Georgia on a Fast Train") is very similar to my instrumental-- right down to the beat, my guitar and even my harmonica lines. That had to be a subconscious influence. Funny how music is so cyclical...

http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.htm...-08-0219:51:44
    Last edited by 59 Strat; 08-04-2002 at 08:26 AM.

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace
    Originally posted by 59 Strat
    Stroker-- I went out today and dug up the tune we were talking about-- I didn't realize it until you mentioned it, but the Shaver tune ("Georgia on a Fast Train") is very similar to my instrumental-- right down to the beat, my guitar and even my harmonica lines. That had to be a subconscious influence. Funny how music is so cyclical...

http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.htm...-08-0219:51:44
    Very cool:) My band opened for Wade Hayes last Saturday. We played mostly origionals but pulled out Georgia On A Fast Train. We are opening for Marty Stuart on the 17th and will probable add Billy Joe's "Hottest Thing In Town" to the list. Fun shit to play!

Stroker1

Forum Member
    Stroker-- I've probably listened to that Shaver tune, seriously, 50+ times since you mentioned them. Do you hear the similarities?
    It is funny as hell to me, because I have always loved that tune, but it never crossed my mind when I recorded my instrumental. I recently heard that Billy Joe died a few months back.

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace
    Originally posted by 59 Strat
    Stroker-- I've probably listened to that Shaver tune, seriously, 50+ times since you mentioned them. Do you hear the similarities?
    It is funny as hell to me, because I have always loved that tune, but it never crossed my mind when I recorded my instrumental. I recently heard that Billy Joe died a few months back.
    Billy died too? That sucks. His son Eddie died around last new years.

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace
    Billys still kickin. http://www.billyjoeshaver.com/

Stroker!

Forum Member
    Maybe the guy meant Eddy-- heroin overdose-- man, that sucks. Good to know Billy Joe is still alive anyway.
    Last edited by 59 Strat; 08-17-2002 at 12:24 PM.