Thread: New Player Amp suggestion

Forum Member

New Player Amp suggestion

Hello there,

I am a new bass player, and I am looking for guidance to buy my first amp. I bought a Fender acoustic bass CB-60SCE. Which Amp you will recommend me to get?

Re: New Player Amp suggestion

welcome to the forum. I'd start with something small for practice, like a Fender Rumble combo which come in many different sizes/wattage. The smaller, the less expensive. It's been a while since I looked at any, but I'm given to understand that many bass amps have features like built in tuners, audio input for external music sources, line-out for going direct to the PA, recording console, some even have MIDI. The more features, the higher the price.

What do you plan to do with the bass? Play in church, coffee houses, jam with friends, play gigs for money? If you plan to play out for money, you might consider a solid body bass down the road. I'm a guitar player that dabbles in bass, I've always been electric and except for my first instrument, always solid body. I would say that >99% of the people I see playing bass are playing solid body instruments. If you only plan to play at home, then an acoustic bass is fine.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

Thank you Dan for your response. I am planning to learn just to play at home, it was always a dream for me that I always put in the back burner until recently.

I will look the Fender Rumble Amps, nothing over the top, just something solid to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Nheko View Post
    Thank you Dan for your response. I am planning to learn just to play at home, it was always a dream for me that I always put in the back burner until recently.

I will look the Fender Rumble Amps, nothing over the top, just something solid to start.
    Pawn shops used to be a good place to find some cool used gear, but now they know what the stuff is selling for on online marketplaces, so there aren't really any bargains. I bought this 1968 Bassman amp for $100, and the Gibson SB450 for $200 in the late 80's. I still have and use both.

But, as Dan suggested, for practicing at home a small solid state bass amp combo will be just fine.

"When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top