Thread: Daddy's Junky Music 30th Anniversary Strat

Daddy's Junky Music 30th Anniversary Strat

I just ran the serial number on my Fender '70s Classic Strat on Fender's site and they came up with the following-

Model#: 0130106321 Description: DADDY'S 30TH ANNIV. 70S STRAT Date: 09/2002

Daddy's Junky Music was a small chain of music stores in New England from 1972 to 2011. They were a great place to buy used gear. I miss them.

I knew the guitar was a 2002 '70s Classic Strat, but I didn't know about the Daddy's connection. I doubt that there's anything special about the guitar. It's a nice playing, light (7-1/2 pound) ash Strat with a rosewood fretboard. When I bought it, it was in a nice rectangular TKL hardcase, rather then the Fender gigbag. Now I wonder if Daddy's sold them that way.

Here's a crappy rainy day pic-

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Daddy's Junky Music 30th Anniversary Strat

A nice guitar indeed!

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I'm not usually a fan of rosewood fretboards on Fender electrics, but this one looks absolutely terrific!

Also, my sense of humor is tickled by the name of the shop!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I just found a thread on these guitars on another forum. 50 were made and they had a special tremolo cavity cover on them. Unfortunately, that was missing when I bought my guitar and I put a regular one on it. Still, not very "special". I find it odd that Fender actually gave them a model number.

Maybe it's for the better- if it had the commemorative tremolo cavity cover on it, they might've wanted more then the $500 that I paid for it!

Not my guitar-

They were based in New Hampshire. Where's DanTheBluesMan?

They did an 22nd Anniversary G&L ASAT Classic in 1994.

Oh, and apparently, GC uses the name now! They moved into Daddy's Boston store near Berklee College of Music in 2012. It's very convoluted how these things develop.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Outlet/...Music/?N=16728
    Last edited by Don; 04-06-2022 at 01:37 PM.

I got a Roland Music Workstation from a Daddy's here in Connecticut. It was my wedding present from Mrs. Junkie. It recently died after a 20+ year run. The keyboard, that is. Mrs. Junkie and I are solid!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I'm not usually a fan of rosewood fretboards on Fender electrics, but this one looks absolutely terrific!
    I prefer the look of maple fretboards, but prefer rosewood fretboards on guitars with small frets for feel. My finger tips drag on the glossy surface of a finished fretboard, especially in hot weather. This seems to be caused not only by the feel of the glossy finish, but the thickness of the finish.
    Last edited by Don; 04-07-2022 at 10:21 AM.

Don, that is pretty freaking cool. Man, I really miss Daddy's Junky Music. The only times I didn't go there at least 2-3 times a week was from Black Friday to Jan 1st, as they were in the south end retail district of Nashua.

2011? Damn, it's been almost 11 years since they closed. I was in there the Friday before it happened. Played a nicely refurbished blackface Concert 4x10. It was one of those times when the guy working there said to turn it up louder. I spent all weekend running over ways to swing buying that amp. I went the next week and the door was locked and a sign in the door saying sorry and thanks.

Every time I see that guitar, I look for one like it for sale. Dang it, no luck. If you ever want to sell it, let me know.

Did you know the guys from Godsmack used to work in the Nashua store?
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    Did you know the guys from Godsmack used to work in the Nashua store?
    I did not know that, but I read that Hirsh Gardner of the band New England managed the store on Mass Ave in Boston when it was Daddy's and later when it was a Guitar Center.

I also miss them, though I was more of an EU Wurlitzer guy, them being around the corner from me. Then GC opened not far away. |I don't know that was the cause of EU going out - they were on the way down before that, but GC was definitely the final nail in the coffin. |The times I went to Daddy's, I was usually underwhelmed, mostly the one |I stopped at was Shrewsbury, MA. But |I had a similar with the Dedham one, I'd stop there once in a while on mt way home from work, then they were suddenly closed.
    But what I really lament is the lack of local chains that'll have a little more pull to get more interesting things from the vendors, but also the bigger footprint for more interesting used gear.
    At this point the shops I have near me are GC and Music Go Round, one small place that it mostly school band instrument rentals and lessons, plus one more whose status is unclear - I haven't seen any activity there for years, the grass outside isn't cut, and there have been the same couple drum kits in the window since I was a kid.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

we have very little in the way of independent stores left around here. GC is in Nashua and Manchester, and Portsmouth. There's little band instrument shops that have been there for years. Many of the small places are long gone. Progris Music shut down in the late '70s or so, Johnny the proprietor was already up there in age when I was a pup taking lessons there. Disco killed the local music scene and his store with it. Hampshire music was the love child of a long time band director of the school systems, he passed away, store's long gone. Lake Street music was a one man show, gone. Daddy's Junky Music closed abruptly in 2011. Ted Herbert's left their Elm street location and are now a band instrument/lesson in a strip mall on some forlorn side street.

About the only thriving independent place is Manchester Music Mill, and I worry about them. They took over the used market when all the other places were failing. Lately they've been doing more and more new instruments, but their store hasn't gotten bigger so the used stuff less prevalent. yes, I know. Reverb, CL, FBMP, and the other online sell-your-crap sites have sopped up a lot of the used gear, so good for them for adapting, I guess.

When I was getting rides to the chiropractor, I was able to look at the various plazas along the way, something I can't do while driving. I've seen a small shop with the very inventive name "Indie Music" LOL. I want to check them out sometime.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

We used to have an EU Wurlitzer on the other end of the town I live in. I used to go there a lot.

As far as what's left around here, I bough the guitar that I started this thread about at a little mom & pop band instrument and teaching store, Symphony Music in North Dartmouth, MA. They don't have a lot of new gear that would appeal to us, but occasionally get some cool used stuff.
    Empire Guitars in Providence is 15 minutes away and has a cool selection of over priced vintage gear and some cool new stuff.
    Ray Mullen in Swansea, MA is half an hour from me and is a Dr. Z, PRS, Eastman, Martin, Nash, and Mesa (?) dealer. I go there the most and have bought a good amount of Dr. Z, Strymon, Martin, and Mesa gear from them.
    Matt's in Weymouth, MA is similar to Ray Mullen, but I think has a better selection.
    The Music Emporium in Lexington, MA is less than an hour away and is awesome!

That's not counting the city of Boston and that there are probably still 5 Guitar Centers within an hour drive from me, so I guess I'm pretty fortunate.

Before they closed down, I bought most of my gear from LaSalle Music in Connecticut. IO bought my first Gibson from them in 1973 and 4 others afterwards. I got most of my Guild's through Union Music in Worcester when he handled the close-out sale for Fender when they sold off Guld. I like the Little Guys!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

That's one beautiful Strat!

Forum Member

Love your Guitar!

...and still looks like brand new!

Quote Originally Posted by rudkowski View Post
    Love your Guitar!

...and still looks like brand new!
    Thanks! It's in great shape!