Thread: Washington: bye bye, gas cars

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Washington: bye bye, gas cars

Apparently nobody missed you.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Apparently nobody missed you.

Not True. Kap'n is an OG and one of the most knowledgeable, helpful and friendly people you'll ever run into here. I've missed him a lot and I hope you get the opportunity to know him better.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Not True. Kap'n is an OG and one of the most knowledgeable, helpful and friendly people you'll ever run into here. I've missed him a lot and I hope you get the opportunity to know him better.

Chuck
    +1 - a genuine guitar slinger with a lot of class! Miss you, amigo!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Edit: whatever
    Last edited by S. Cane; 04-12-2022 at 06:09 PM.

https://ethanolfacts.eu/question-pos...sing-biofuels/

I’ve always thought that Ethanol is a way better option but hey: electric is trendy… Nevermind the coal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcane View Post
    https://ethanolfacts.eu/question-pos...sing-biofuels/

I’ve always thought that Ethanol is a way better option but hey: electric is trendy… Nevermind the coal.
    Actually, ethanol really sucks as it has a very short shelf life and buggers up the fuel system in any engine it is left in for any extended period of time. Locally, our premium gasoline is ethanol free and it is the only fuel I have run in the collector cars and motorcycles that I have owned that don’t get run often, and in the lawn mower and snow blower that get seasonal use. I’ve had ethanol related carburetor issues in a couple of instances.

Corn-Based Ethanol Is Actually Worse For The Environment Than Gasoline, Study Finds

Incidentally, there is a school of thought that believes (with some actual evidence) oil is not derived from decaying organic material, and may be, as has been reported, the earth's second-most abundant liquid. This is the "biotic" versus "abiotic" debate. Still, there is no evidence to support the position that petroleum is scarce and will run out (not to mention that it could be less harmful to the environment that electricity/battery fuels and the like).

Oil As A "Fossil Fuel" Is Fake Science
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    Actually, ethanol really sucks as it has a very short shelf life and buggers up the fuel system in any engine it is left in for any extended period of time. Locally, our premium gasoline is ethanol free and it is the only fuel I have run in the collector cars and motorcycles that I have owned that don’t get run often, and in the lawn mower and snow blower that get seasonal use. I’ve had ethanol related carburetor issues in a couple of instances.

I wasn’t talking about ethanol being a good fuel: it is just cleaner that electricity for cars.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Corn-Based Ethanol Is Actually Worse For The Environment Than Gasoline, Study Finds

Incidentally, there is a school of thought that believes (with some actual evidence) oil is not derived from decaying organic material, and may be, as has been reported, the earth's second-most abundant liquid. This is the "biotic" versus "abiotic" debate. Still, there is no evidence to support the position that petroleum is scarce and will run out (not to mention that it could be less harmful to the environment that electricity/battery fuels and the like).

Oil As A "Fossil Fuel" Is Fake Science

As far as I read, cane based ethanol is not.

the whole ethanol thing was a scam from the beginning and lip service to environmentalism, while not doing anything truly beneficial except enhancing the portfolios of the already wealthy.

My Honda Accord went from getting 400 miles a tank full to 300 miles when they switched, overnight. It was in fact the very first time I ever ran out of gas in my life. It was not a fluke, I never got that mileage back. There's no way in hell that burning 33% more fuel to go the same distance served any use to protecting the environment. The gas did not get any cheaper, and in fact cost more.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Nah, not a scam.

The thing about ethanol is that it can be produced and burnt with less environmental impact than gas (not by using soy or corn), and flex cars are IMHO a better option than going all electric, regarding what Roger said somewhere above: freedom of choice.

We have used sugar cane ethanol here for decades. It’s cheaper than gas and has less bad emissions.

All I’msaying is: I’d rather start using ethanol than being forced to buys fucking electric car that will use mostly dirty power.

I'll probably get drummed out of "the club" for saying this, but I've now reached the age where I don't give a 5h!+ about saving the environment. Most of the people on the planet are just wasting oxygen, anyway.
    Striving to be ordinary

Most of the people on the planet are just wasting oxygen, anyway.
    I'm not quite that jaded but without a doubt there are a lot of atmospheric thieves among us. Many of them reside in Washington DC......

TFF Stage Crew

Lol

Forum Member

We never developed the ethanol system here like Sergio has there. Oil is/was cheap, (and could be again), except for politics, so the only reason to add corn to fuel was buying farmers votes. In Mexico there were riots after the rise in corn prices.
    Laker is right about the short life of ethanol added to fuel, (it sours), but also attracts moisture, and if not used in a timely matter rusts things. (I think that why manufactures started using plastic fuel tanks).
    As far as the "enviromental" benefits, none can be proven, the earth has been warming at the same pace since the 1800's when we started coming out of "the little ice age". As CO2 has risen to over 400 PPM, (that's parts per MILLION), temperatures have not risen at the same pace. No one can/will explain how 1 molecule of a substance mixed with 10K other molecules can trap/hold heat to affect anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    We never developed the ethanol system here like Sergio has there. Oil is/was cheap, (and could be again), except for politics, so the only reason to add corn to fuel was buying farmers votes. In Mexico there were riots after the rise in corn prices.
    +1!

Checked the price of cereal lately?

A jumbo box of Kellogg's corn flakes is now over nine bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Laker is right about the short life of ethanol added to fuel, (it sours), but also attracts moisture, and if not used in a timely matter rusts things. (I think that why manufactures started using plastic fuel tanks).

Exactly, corn is not a big part of our agroindustry as it is of yours.

IIRC even sweeteners in the US are made of corn, whereas here we use sugar cane for everything. It’s a way cheaper option.

We have been using Ethanol as an alternative to gasoline since the late 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcane View Post
    Exactly, corn is not a big part of our agroindustry as it is of yours.

IIRC even sweeteners in the US are made of corn, whereas here we use sugar cane for everything. It’s a way cheaper option.

We have been using Ethanol as an alternative to gasoline since the late 70s.

Yup. "High-fructose corn syrup" is a cheaper (and unhealthier) substitute for sugar. America's "silent epidemic" is that some 53% of the populace (by my reckoning, that's more than half) is either diabetic or pre-diabetic. It's America's sugar addiction. According to the
    National Institutes of Health, "The scientists found that the overall prevalence of diabetes in the U.S. population was 12-14%, depending on the definition of diabetes used. Of those with diabetes, 25-36% may be undiagnosed. In addition, 36-38% had prediabetes, in which blood glucose levels are higher than normal but not high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes."

Striving to be ordinary

Yup. "High-fructose corn syrup" is a cheaper (and unhealthier) substitute for sugar. America's "silent epidemic" is that some 53% of the populace (by my reckoning, that's more than half) is either diabetic or pre-diabetic. It's America's sugar addiction. According to the
    National Institutes of Health, "The scientists found that the overall prevalence of diabetes in the U.S. population was 12-14%, depending on the definition of diabetes used. Of those with diabetes, 25-36% may be undiagnosed. In addition, 36-38% had prediabetes, in which blood glucose levels are higher than normal but not high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes."

True DAT! I cut out all excess sugar from my diet a year ago and lost 50 pounds. I used to drink a 2 liter bottle of soda almost every day. Now, for the first time in over 20 years, my blood sugar is below 100 (94!). It was 120 a year ago. All my vitals are "normal" and I feel great. As I understand it, if you are going to make ethanol as a fuel additive, corn is the least efficient source - cane sugar is supposed to be better... but I heard that years ago and don't know how true that is.

You have me thinking, though - it's not too far out of the way to pick up a dozen ear of corn for dinner tonight - it's is in season and delicious!!!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Problem is that if "Big Sugar" gets its way the Florida Everglades will be pretty much destroyed. It's already huge problem to see what's going on in Florida.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Problem is that if "Big Sugar" gets its way the Florida Everglades will be pretty much destroyed. It's already huge problem to see what's going on in Florida.
    It wouldn't be an issue if the US ended its boycott of Cuban sugar.