Thread: Reverb on/off button to footswitch

Forum Member

Reverb on/off button to footswitch

Hi everyone!
    I just become a happy owner of a fender Hot Rod deluxe amp.
    after first rehearsal I have a question to You guys. Is there anyone who modified / created a footswitch by adding reverb on/off button to it.
    from my humble understanding, adding spdt button to the wire that goes to reverb housing from the amp may work. highlighted on picture below. But this solution feels not elegant.. Maybe there are better ideas?
    Maybe we can spread this topic to additional option: effect loop on off button. That is really helpful when you have number pedals in loop and by pressing 1 FX on/off button, one can control all those pedals.
    I have marshall JCM 2000 and all those features are there (pic below), so why that can not be done on Fender?

Forum Member

Re: Reverb on/off button to footswitch

this reverb signal wire

which JCM2000 do you have? I had a JCM2000 DSL 50 head but it didn't come with a pedal like that. It's been a long time since it's been gone so I don't remember the back panel very well.

Man, I miss that amp. Been trying to find one but they don't come up for sale very often.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

The switching circuits in those amps use resistors/diodes to regulate the voltage sent to the IC that controls the function.

In theory, I guess you could interrupt the reverb send or return signal wire with a switch, but it could add a lot of noise to your signal. My "guess" is that the switches on your Marshall footswitch and the Hot Rod footswitch control relays on the pcb that switch signal flow on the pcb. I haven't looked at the schematic for either amp. As a practical matter, how often do you turn reverb on or off during a song, where it would need to be footswitchable?
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

I'm in way over my head here, but as Sérgio said, there's more expertise here than anywhere else on the 'Net.

What you ask should be possible (I think). My first "real" amp was a Pignose 150R Crossmix (it's in my garage; I don't know its condition). Its main selling point (as I recall) was a footswitch that allowed one to "crossmix" channels, thus allowing a clean and a dirty channel, switchable by a tap of the foot. I don't know what it would take to accomplish what you're seeking, but where there's a will...

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

The easiest and most practical solution is to use a stand-alone, foot-switchable reverb pedal and ignore the amp's on-board effect. Fender themselves make some pretty nice ones and there are others as well.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Unless they've changed anything the HRD has a solid state reverb so phantomman's suggestion seems the most practical to me. I'd also suggest you consider ditching reverb and using delay instead. It will add the fullness without muddying up the mix.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    which JCM2000 do you have? I had a JCM2000 DSL 50 head but it didn't come with a pedal like that. It's been a long time since it's been gone so I don't remember the back panel very well.

Man, I miss that amp. Been trying to find one but they don't come up for sale very often.
    its jcm2000 tsl100