Thread: noise on fender amp

Forum Member

noise on fender amp

I use a fender telecaster thinline going through a fender princeton amp I get a lot of buzz once i plug my guitar in ,all the electrics have been checked in the church where I play , I used to use a noise gate in the past in a rack system I had which worked great, question is there a adapter I can plug into the amp ,then my guitar into that, instead of having a noise gate unit on the floor
    thanks

Re: noise on fender amp

Quote Originally Posted by stupots View Post
    I use a fender telecaster thinline going through a fender princeton amp I get a lot of buzz once i plug my guitar in ,all the electrics have been checked in the church where I play , I used to use a noise gate in the past in a rack system I had which worked great, question is there a adapter I can plug into the amp ,then my guitar into that, instead of having a noise gate unit on the floor
    thanks
    What do you call buzz? Is it hum? Does your Tele have single coils? Does it hum only when you let go of it? There are several reasons why this is happening, and some of them are entirely normal.

Forum Member

hi, the pickups are single coil but the buzz is annoying ,when i used to use a noise gate in my rack the amp was perfectly quite, that has been sold on some time back, but a simple plug in noise gate would save all my aggro,I done want to have any floor units as space is limited

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Shielding your guitar, using only high-quality cables, and plugging your amp into a power conditioner *may* help but single-coil pickups are by nature noisy and susceptible to EMI/RF interference. Switching to noiseless pickups would eliminate the problem but you may not find their tone to your liking.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Is there noise while you are playing? If not, your fix is already there. Vol knob. Turn to 0.
    Mark

Is the amp an older version?? Might be filter caps, or a funky ground.. I recently discovered a cool trick that is phasing the filaments so they are all in phase for the preamp and them reverfsed phase for the power amp.. Cleaned up a few of my noisy amps.. I have found that tubes can cause noise as well..
    -NOCD

Dog Groomer to the Stars

Forum Member

thanks
    So, this has stock Tele pickups? Which model of pickups?

I bought a Squire Paranormal Offset Tele last Saturday and as usual, it was noisy. Really noisy. I was going to change the strings anyway and after those came off, I removed the screws and looked at the wiring, which was typically unkempt and in no way capable of rejecting noise, so I twisted the wires to the pickups and jack- it helped a bit, but didn't do much. Twisted pair wiring has been used for over 100 years for telephone and other wiring, including ethernet cabling because it rejects noise without the need for shielding and it helped with the noise when I had a Baja Player's Club Tele but ultimately, it's the missing connections to ground that need to be corrected. The Baja had a Copper-plated plate under the neck pickup with a ground wire, but the neck pickup's cover was ungrounded and it turned out that the Offset Tele's cover wasn't grounded, either.

I made sure the cover wasn't soldered at the edge by bending the tabs and pressing it away from the coil and it slid off easily. Then, I pushed it down and bent the tabs, bared the base metal and soldered a wire to it. Once that had cooled, I wound the wire around the twisted wires and soldered it to the back of the volume control and turned up the amp's volume control- the little buzz can now be almost totally eliminated by touching any of the grounded metal parts on the guitar, like the controls, bridge or strings.

Make sure that pickup cover is grounded.

Honestly, I don't know why they can't do this at the factory.

thanks
    Hello.
    There are noise gate pedals available that you can use to eliminate the unwanted buzz from your guitar signal. These pedals are compact and can be placed on your pedalboard, taking up very little space. Some examples of noise gate pedals are the Boss NS-2, TC Electronic Sentry, and MXR Smart Gate.

thanks
    Also change your position... that may stop the hum. They call it "spinning like a top". also check your string ground. Other than that, shielding, or in extreme cases, star grounding. but I've only had to do that when rewiring a double neck Gibson SG.... which was a pain....
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Forum Member

A few years ago, I had an Amp build start up on my kitchen table, I plugged my Tele in and played a while, but there was a lot of hum. The next day, I plugged in again to troubleshoot the hum, but it was gone, I played a while, and my wife came through and switched on the light, hum returned, that light is on a dimmer! (Single coils hate dimmers!)

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    A few years ago, I had an Amp build start up on my kitchen table, I plugged my Tele in and played a while, but there was a lot of hum. The next day, I plugged in again to troubleshoot the hum, but it was gone, I played a while, and my wife came through and switched on the light, hum returned, that light is on a dimmer! (Single coils hate dimmers!)
    Rheostat-dimmer RFI noise is a well-documented phenomenon. Neon lights are another.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    I did not know that! the things you learn here.... :)
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

If you live (or play) in an older building, the electrical lines may be unshielded or of poorer quality. If that's the case, it's probably worth looking at a line conditioner that will help relieve interference. Sweetwater has a bunch of them.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c960--Power_Conditioners
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    If you live (or play) in an older building, the electrical lines may be unshielded or of poorer quality. If that's the case, it's probably worth looking at a line conditioner that will help relieve interference. Sweetwater has a bunch of them.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c960--Power_Conditioners
    I always use a power conditioner.

That said, a power conditioner is not going to stop RF from unshielded lines.

A dummy coil is your best defense for that. I have a HSS Strat that's always nearby for noisy venues. The other thing is to use a noise gate and stay off the compressor if the hum is bad.

For the Tele, it's your only guitar that does it then get the meter out and check for continuity between the strings and the input jack ring. If it's open then that's the first thing to work on. Next would be shielding. Contrary to many, ahem, "experts" I've never personally had shielding affect the tone on my guitars. I just use the dirt cheap aluminum tape used for installing your dryer hose.

I have it around because

a) I have a clothes drier and
    b) We use it to put metal trim on fishing lures. You can emboss with scale patterns and then put candy colors over it. Looks boss!
    c) works good for RF shielding musical equipment, creating ground planes, etc.

Chuck
    Last edited by Offshore Angler; 04-05-2023 at 06:15 AM.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim