Thread: 60th anniversary thomann american special telecaster pickups?

60th anniversary thomann american special telecaster pickups?

Hello,
    Im happy to be a member of Fender forum community.
    I have a 60th anniversary thomann american special telecaster and I would like to know if the pickups are Texas special or vintage style or standard single coil.
    Thank you in adva'ce for your contributions.

Re: 60th anniversary thomann american special telecaster pickups?

Hi, and welcome to The Fender Forum (TFF). It might help if you provide some photos, since there is a lot still unknown about your guitar.

First, you say it's a Thomann. Thomann is a European label, and sells guitars under its own Harley Benton brand as well as from others, such as Fender. So, is yours a Fender you acquired from Thomann? Does it say Fender on the headstock? Of course, that alone isn't going to prove it's an actual Fender, as the old joke goes something like, "Fender only made 1,500 of that model, of which only 3,476 are still available." Partscasters are a fact of life. That may be partly the reason behind your question.

I have a 60th Anniversary Fender Telecaster, the Limited Edition with badge and matching case, of which only 1,000 were made (mine is number 531, as specified on the neck plate).

The pickups on mine are Custom Shop 51 No-Caster Telecaster Pickups. But that doesn't mean yours is the same. An American Special these days comes with Texas Specials single-coils, but again, without photos one can't be sure. We may never be 100% sure, but we can get closer with a visual inspection...
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Last edited by Sonicsurgeon; 04-12-2023 at 09:34 AM.

Thank you for your answer. Finally I found it is Pickup Custom Shop 51 Nocaster Set.
    But I don't know the distance between the strings and the pickups, any idea?
    Last edited by Sonicsurgeon; 04-12-2023 at 09:50 AM.

You can measure the distance from the strings to the pickups with a straightedge. But that's maybe not what you're asking. I'm not sure there is a "specified" height requirement, and much of what you'll hear from me and others will be along the lines of, "What gauge strings are you using? What's your playing style? Do you bend/barre/pluck/hammer/stroke? Do you use pedals?" In essence, what sound are you striving for?

The more technical folks here might weigh in with specs and recommendations, but I play by feel. If a guitar feels and sounds good to me, I let it be. If not, then I start investigating: neck relief, fret buzz, etc.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    You can measure the distance from the strings to the pickups with a straightedge. But that's maybe not what you're asking. I'm not sure there is a "specified" height requirement, and much of what you'll hear from me and others will be along the lines of, "What gauge strings are you using? What's your playing style? Do you bend/barre/pluck/hammer/stroke? Do you use pedals?" In essence, what sound are you striving for?

The more technical folks here might weigh in with specs and recommendations, but I play by feel. If a guitar feels and sounds good to me, I let it be. If not, then I start investigating: neck relief, fret buzz, etc.
    Thank you

Forum Member

The early "Special" Telecasters used Hwy 1 pickups, I put a set in a Squire I had, and they were much like the "Texas Specials", the bridge was a little hotter. Also the pole pieces aren't staggered.

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/O...8023A_SISD.pdf