Thread: Truss Rod Strike washer removal help

Truss Rod Strike washer removal help

I'm working on a Strat neck that I need remove the strike washer from in order to expose more threads on the truss rod. Any advice on the best tools or method for this? I'm finding myself a bit frustrated at this point using a small allen key that I filed into a chisel shape that may just be scratching the washer more than prying it out. Any advice is much appreciated.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/v9nFsuDcmVXyAh1K7

Re: Truss Rod Strike washer removal help

The only think that comes to mind for me is to drill a couple of holes thru the washer, so it splits into 2 or more pieces. Then you may be able to use a dental pick or some instrument with a "hook" on the end of it to get under it where you drilled the hole(s) and pry it out.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    The only think that comes to mind for me is to drill a couple of holes thru the washer, so it splits into 2 or more pieces. Then you may be able to use a dental pick or some instrument with a "hook" on the end of it to get under it where you drilled the hole(s) and pry it out.
    That’s a great idea and I hadn’t thought of it. I’ll give it a shot and thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog2112 View Post
    That’s a great idea and I hadn’t thought of it. I’ll give it a shot and thanks for the advice.
    Assuming there are more threads further up the truss rod, you will have to deepen the pocket in the wood so you can put a new strike washer in. Hopefully you can drill out some wood evenly around the truss rod to deepen the pocket. Put a piece of tape on your drill bit so you can measure the depth of each hole. You may have to use a sharp object to flatten out the bottom of the pocket so the strike washer sits flush.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Assuming there are more threads further up the truss rod, you will have to deepen the pocket in the wood so you can put a new strike washer in. Hopefully you can drill out some wood evenly around the truss rod to deepen the pocket. Put a piece of tape on your drill bit so you can measure the depth of each hole. You may have to use a sharp object to flatten out the bottom of the pocket so the strike washer sits flush.
    Yep, I’ve got the Stew Mac wood removing bit that will deepen the pocket evenly. I think if I can just get this washer out I should be good to go.

Yep, I’ve got the Stew Mac wood removing bit that will deepen the pocket evenly. I think if I can just get this washer out I should be good to go.
    I bet it's really wedged in there if you ran out of threads on the truss rod. I didn't know StewMac had a bit for that. Is it like a mini hole saw?

Take some pics of the process if you can.

I bet it's really wedged in there if you ran out of threads on the truss rod. I didn't know StewMac had a bit for that. Is it like a mini hole saw?

Take some pics of the process if you can.
    Michael - you are a genius. It worked out well to drill the washers and pry them out. It turned out there were 2 washers in there which was not my expectation.

For a little more context, the issue I was up against was that my customer's strat neck had way too much relief and the truss rod nut was at it's limit. So I used the truss rod rescue kit that Stew Mac sells and I have to admit it worked very well. Once I had the washers out of the cavity, I used the wood removal die to remove about 7 mm worth of wood, then used the thread cutting die to clean up the old and newly exposed truss rod threads. I did not have to cut new threads as the rod already had some length of unexposed threads.

I updated the pics in the link below to include the original adjustment nut that was on the neck, the wood removal die, the thread cutting die, one of the 2 washers that were painfully removed, and the final result with the new (longer) truss rod nut in place.

Thanks again Michael for the excellent suggestion.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/suQDiLAHjqGsEcJJ7

I'm glad my suggestion resulted in a successful effort. I am only seeing your original photo in the link from your last post.

I'm glad my suggestion resulted in a successful effort. I am only seeing your original photo in the link from your last post.
    Hmm...try this link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/suQDiLAHjqGsEcJJ7

Or maybe refresh or clear your cache? Should be updated and when I click on the link the page opens to all 5 pics?

Hmm...try this link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/suQDiLAHjqGsEcJJ7

Or maybe refresh or clear your cache? Should be updated and when I click on the link the page opens to all 5 pics?
    I see all of the pics now with the new link you posted.