Thread: 1966 Fender Mustang bass decal ID?

Forum Member

1966 Fender Mustang bass decal ID?

Hey all, I posted a ton of pics and whatnot over in the Talkbass Forum re: this question:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/196...#post-26229622

I'm looking for some insight into whether or not this "Customized" decal on this 1966 Mustang is original. The general consensus is it must have been applied after the original purchase, as no one has ever seen one. The bass looks completely stock inside and out, so nothing to indicate anything "custom" about it. My understanding of it's history is limited to a friend who bought it used in Sudbury, Ontario Canada around 1978 he thinks. It has pretty much been in the case this past 20 years or so and he never did any mods. to it since he's owned it. The decal sure looks like it's underneath the original nitro? finish. Anyone have any further information that this could possibly be factory or def. an aftermarket application?

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: 1966 Fender Mustang bass decal ID?

The decal appears to be an afterthought, applied long after the bass was built.

I can tell you one thing with certainty though -- those "paddle" tuners are worth nearly as much as the entire instrument.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Yeah, I guess they're quite rare these days. But these little "starter" basses are all the rage nowadays, I've seen them priced anywhere between $3500.00 to $8000.00 on average.....then there's this.

.https://reverb.com/ca/item/3418359-1...d-all-original

People be crazy....

Quote Originally Posted by lwender View Post
    Yeah, I guess they're quite rare these days. But these little "starter" basses are all the rage nowadays, I've seen them priced anywhere between $3500.00 to $8000.00 on average.....then there's this.

.https://reverb.com/ca/item/3418359-1...d-all-original

People be crazy....
    good lord. that would have been a 50 dollar and a pack of smokes back in the late '70s. Maybe just the pack of smokes.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    good lord. that would have been a 50 dollar and a pack of smokes back in the late '70s. Maybe just the pack of smokes.
    +1

Look what's happening to Fender's vintage "starter" amps......I remember when you could buy a used Vibro Champ for fifty bucks. Now they're over a grand!
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."