Thread: Where are all the TOOBZ!?

Where are all the TOOBZ!?

So, it's been since 2017 since I've built an amp, but I have recently had the urge to build a Super or Vibrolux Reverb (AB568 in the BF chassis), and started digging up my old sources for parts.

First of all Mouser doesn't let you order resistors in anything less than 100 anymore, and I can't find my favorite Heyboer Transformers I used to use. But most importantly, all my previous sources for tubes have little to zero in stock anymore and the prices are bananas!

Kind of depressing.

Anyone have any luck finding good tube selections and decent prices recently?
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Re: Where are all the TOOBZ!?

The Chinese factory burned down, Russia has banned the export of tubes, and JJ just can't keep up with demand. So I would expect prices to remain high and tubes in short supply for the forseeable future.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

JJs are good. I was a fan of TungSol and TAD, too.

But I'm not surprised considering world events the last couple of years that this would happen.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,

-Edmund Burke

Tung Sol is one of the Russian brands, along with Sovtek, Electro Harmonix, Svletlana, etc. Even though the factory is owned by an American, they can't export at least until the end of this year. I doubt the factory can survive financially that long. TAD just tests and grades tubes and sells them under their name, just like Ruby and Groove Tubes.

Amplified Parts sells resistors in lots of 5.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Forum Member

TJ, if you haven't got a chassis yet, I have an aluminum one I picked up for a Vibrolux build, but never got around to it. Tube holes and transformer cut out only, front and rear are blank, I bought it cheap!

Hmm, I just read on Electro Harmonix website that "The export restriction on Russian tubes has been resolved for now. We are accepting new orders, processing backorders, and hoping to resume shipping in April". But there will likely be a hefty tariff applied to tubes shipped to Western Europe and the US. Canada is imposing a 35% tariff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    TJ, if you haven't got a chassis yet, I have an aluminum one I picked up for a Vibrolux build, but never got around to it. Tube holes and transformer cut out only, front and rear are blank, I bought it cheap!
    Appreciate that! I have a chassis with circuit board and faceplates sourced already however.

Still not committed to the project yet. Will post here with updates when I do.

-Edmund Burke

I bought them all 10 years ago.

Well, I have a bunch. Maybe not all of them. Unlikely I'll need any. I'm 64. The males in my family have not lived past 77. I probably have a lifetime supply.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

I have a drawer full I bought from a touring musician several years ago. He said before the tour, he had his amps checked out, and re-tubed, and for all the years he toured,never had a failure on the road. I've used some, and they all work great!
    (Dan, I'm 73, and figuring on at least another 10!)

I have quite a few used tubes I removed from my amps over the years, not because they were necessarily bad, but because new tubes used to be cheap. And I have a few new 12AX7's. The only tubes I don't have immediate spares for are a pair of EL84's in my Carvin Vintage 16.