Thread: Everybody Wants To Get In On The Act

Everybody Wants To Get In On The Act

Who doesn't know the name Marshall? One of the top names is amps and speakers, known around the world for their "wall of sound" (to borrow a term from Phil Spector). Well, it seems Marshall now wants in on the portable speaker action, with the release of three new items. Apologies in advance for the image sizes.

The Marshall Emberton Portable Speaker. Bluetooth, stereo, rechargeable battery, 20-hour run time. $170, US.

The Marshall Stanmore II speaker. A choice of Bluetooth 5.0 with aptX, 3.5mm, or RCA inputs to deliver lifelike sound from the compact speaker. A companion app allows you to fine-tune the sound with EQ presets and adjust the intensity of the LED lights on the top panel. $350, US.

The Marshall Kilburn II speaker. About the size of a lunch box. $280, US.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Everybody Wants To Get In On The Act

Not to steal your thunder but I saw a Marshall Bluetooth-compatible speaker at our local Best Buy about two years ago. It was larger than those depicted above, nearly as big as a Princeton Reverb. I think the retail on it was around $329.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Not my thunder, Phantomman, you're free to "steal" whatever. I have a weird affinity for portable Bluetooth-enabled speakers. Almost daily, I pump music from a computer stream to a Bose Mini II Soundlink.

If I'm out cleaning my cars, or in the back yard gardening, I carry a Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay A2.

Striving to be ordinary

When I saw that Marshall speaker at Best Buy I e-mailed an acquaintance at FMIC in Scottsdale and told him that Fender should be building something similar, perhaps with blackface or silverface cosmetics. I'd spring for that.

I thought that, too (although I don't know anyone at FMIC). I think VOX has similar offerings.

Striving to be ordinary

Just a point of clarification: I Rock and Roll parlance, The Wall of Sound refers to the Grateful Dead's sound system that debuted at the Cow Palace on March 23, 1974. It was the pinnacle of live sound never to be duplicated. Unfortunately it proved too labor intensive to set up and tear down and was dropped after that tour, but it was righteous.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Just a point of clarification: I Rock and Roll parlance, The Wall of Sound refers to the Grateful Dead's sound system that debuted at the Cow Palace on March 23, 1974. It was the pinnacle of live sound never to be duplicated. Unfortunately it proved too labor intensive to set up and tear down and was dropped after that tour, but it was righteous.
    I tried to find the article that listed the logistics of getting the Wall Of Sound into Red Rocks, Colorado. They had to unload the 4 semis into smaller trucks, and then unload those into yet smaller vehicles to actually get into the venue. I think something like 35 vehicles total were involved.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I tried to find the article that listed the logistics of getting the Wall Of Sound into Red Rocks, Colorado. They had to unload the 4 semis into smaller trucks, and then unload those into yet smaller vehicles to actually get into the venue. I think something like 35 vehicles total were involved.
    Where did they find room to seat the audience?

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post

Yes! Prominently that. There’s also Phil Spector’s ensemble production system.

The Dead’s wall was nothing short of fascinating.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Not my thunder, Phantomman, you're free to "steal" whatever. I have a weird affinity for portable Bluetooth-enabled speakers. Almost daily, I pump music from a computer stream to a Bose Mini II
    I love my little Bose Mini II, that's a tough act to follow, so much sound from a little box. The only thing I think would improve it would be an Aux input jack so I could use my old Ipod that is bluetoothless.

A couple of years ago my local MicroCenter had 2 pallets of these Jawbone Jambox Mini's. They were priced at $20, so I picked up 2 of them. Each speaker has 2 drivers and produces a surprisingly loud and clear sound. Each speaker is stereo, but if you have 2 of them you can pair them so they act as a traditional stereo pair.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Forum Member

A few years ago a friend had a JBL Charge 2 that I really was impressed with, a short time later he bought a newer model and gave the little speaker to me.
    I thought the JBL was really great until I heard the Beats Pill speaker my sister in law has, smaller, louder, and I swear deeper bass response!

My Jambox Mini has a deep bass response for a 2 x 6 inch enclosure. Supposedly the weight of the battery is part of the system that produces the low end. It makes a loud thump when you power it on. It also has a 1/8 inch input jack that I sometimes use when I want to listen to baseball on my small cheap radio thru the speakers on the Jambox.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

wow, listening to baseball on the radio. I haven't done that in forever.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    wow, listening to baseball on the radio. I haven't done that in forever.
    I think starting this year, they will broadcast it over IHeart Radio, so I can listen on the computer. My AM radio reception thru my SONY receiver is kind of poor, but the cheap little transistor radio works OK if you point it in exactly the right direction, lol.