Thread: Hey, Sérgio: Felix Grant

Hey, Sérgio: Felix Grant

At lunch today I happened to reminisce about my younger self, back during my post-college years. I remembered listening to a radio personality in the Washington, D. C. area who had a very long (1945 to 1993) radio career with his weeknight program, "The Album Sound," which featured and introduced many new and upcoming jazz musicians to the D. C. area.

One of the credits given to Grant was that he introduced Brazilian music - notably the bossa nova - to American audiences. From the Felix Grant archives:

This radio pioneer played a pivotal role in promoting Brazilian and Jamaican culture in the United States by introducing bossa nova and reggae music to American audiences. It was for this reason that Mr. Grant was dubbed the “Ambassador of Music.” His honors included Brazil’s highest award, the Order of the Southern Cross; recognition from the DC government, including plaques, proclamations, and the designation of Felix Grant Day in 1985; and the naming for him of a music-radio library at the University of Jamaica. He was chairman of the Brazilian–American Cultural Institute and president of Partners of Brasilia.
    Maybe it was Kilian's post of March 9 that was playing on my subconscious. In any event, I've never had the opportunity to discuss this sort of cross-culturism with a Brazilian, and thought you might find this tidbit interesting.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Hey, Sérgio: Felix Grant

This is such a great topic! I’m on my phone right now: sit tight and as soon as I’m home with a computer I’ll write a proper reply!

Well, Fred, here I am. Sorry for the slightly delayed reply.

Bossa Nova is one of the genres I love. I have a deep and special admiration for one of its main founders, Antônio Carlos 'Tom' Jobim. Bossa Nova is a rare chemistry between Brazilian samba and American jazz, as balanced as a well prepared mojito. I never took the time to work on it on the guitar, but as a listener, I love that music just as much as I love rock n roll or blues.

What I find the most interesting about Bossa Nova is that it is not only a distinct Brazilian rhythm, it is also considered by many as a particularly refined jazz style. I live in Northeastern Brazil but I know Rio de Janeiro very well, and everytime I was there I looked for the right places to listen to Bossa/Jazz, buy records, even got haircuts in the very barber shop Tom Jobim would attend.

I own several records I can recommend to you later, but these two are my personal favorites, both Verve originals featuring João Gilberto, Tom Jobim and Stan Getz. João Gilberto is also one of the greats but I confess I prefer Tom’s works:

I didn't know anything about Félix until now. I'll read about him, for sure.

Feel free to tell me more about your tastes in Bossa Nova, and to ask me anything you like!
    Last edited by S. Cane; 03-21-2022 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Grammar and spelling

Hey Sérgio, I've never heard Antônio Carlos Jobim referred to as "Tom," that's quite something!

All the names you listed are familiar to me. Astrud and Jaoa Gilberto first came to my attention as a kid in Bangkok, Thailand, as Girl From Ipanema took over the airwaves! Its infectious and catchy rhythms and upbeat presence were unlike anything I'd heard (considering I was then hearing Elvis and Beatles, that's saying a lot!).

While jazz isn't my main musical focus, I spent a number of years hunkered down learning Mickey Baker's guitar stuff (almost all of which I've since forgotten!) and listening to the likes of Stan Getz, Joe Pass, Chuck Mangione, Kenny Burrell, and the more contemporary stuff, like Return To Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, and Weather Report.

I guess I figured I'd never play as good as any of them, so I went back to the "easier" stuff, like Eric Clapton & friends.

Turns out I'm not as good as any of them, either. But now I'm OK with that.

Returning to the States following Bangkok, I became aware of Felix Grant's show on the local radio, and it was a nighttime gig, so with interviews and personal vignettes, he provided a lot of insight into what is sometimes a "shadowy" musical realm.

Grant was the person who located the birthplace of Duke Ellington, in Washington, D. C. Today, there's a landmark marker on the spot, and Grant is credited with helping unearth the local history of one of jazz's greats.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

You might also like these guys. They made a very fine Bossa- and Samba- based indie rock that is really authentic. Seen them live once.