Thread: Mod Shop Pickups

Mod Shop Pickups

Hi, new member looking for input on the current pickups available in the Fender Mod Shop, I’m doing a build with a relatively modern look and features. I don’t gig much anymore and mostly play either directly into Logic or GarageBand, or through a Helix LT pedal (sometimes only the pedal with headphones). Because of this, I’m less interested in the ‘native’ sound of the pickup, and more how it will work with effects and modeling.

I’m leaning toward the “Generation 4 Noiseless” (or Noiseless HSS), because noise can sometimes distract or cause me to reposition, and again I’ll be modifying the sound (has anyone used these?) I’m also considering something ’different’ from my vintage Strats, like Texas Specials, but am open to most of the available options, considering my use case. I haven’t heard most of these pups.

This page shows the Strat Mod Shop options, you can click pickups to see what’s available (some don’t let me choose the part colors I want, but most are good). Thanks for your thoughts.

https://www.fender.com/en-US/mod-sho...181900706.html

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Mod Shop Pickups

Your question is akin to asking the soda jerk behind the counter at Baskin-Robbin's what each of the thirty-one ice cream flavors tastes like.

Basically, you pays your money and you takes your chances.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by AudioHTIT View Post
    I’m leaning toward the “Generation 4 Noiseless” (or Noiseless HSS), because noise can sometimes distract or cause me to reposition, and again I’ll be modifying the sound (has anyone used these?)
    I’ll simplify the post …

Has anyone used or heard Fender’s “Generation 4 Noiseless Pickups” (standard or HSS)? Do you have an opinion about them?

No, but I've struggled with Fender Noiseless pickups over the years. You CAN make them sound halfway decent with enough mods and an EQ.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I’ll simplify the post …

Has anyone used or heard Fender’s “Generation 4 Noiseless Pickups” (standard or HSS)? Do you have an opinion about them?

Now it’s definitely easier to reply.

Some folks, myself included, don’t like noiseless pickups. Others, like Phantomman, like them. Me, I did listen to most of the Fender noiseless options, and didn’t get along at all. I’m partial to Fat 50s on strats.

What exactly are your needs regarding pickups?

Deleted, formatting messed up

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Some folks, myself included, don’t like noiseless pickups. Others, like Phantomman, like them. Me, I did listen to most of the Fender noiseless options, and didn’t get along at all. I’m partial to Fat 50s on strats.

What exactly are your needs regarding pickups?
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    No, but I've struggled with Fender Noiseless pickups over the years. You CAN make them sound halfway decent with enough mods and an EQ
    Thanks for the replies, I was up against a deadline as I wanted a solid rosewood neck which was just discontinued. I’ll admit I was mostly going for a ‘look’ with this build, it’s similar to a Strat I had sometime back, but took it a little further.

As I mentioned above, I mostly play through a Helix LT modeler or directly into Logic via a Focusrite, it sounds good, but noise sometimes distracts me or causes me to move around to make things quieter (especially with headphones). Hence my interest in the noiseless options, and because of the modeling, less concern about live or native sound.

This will actually be my fourth Strat — Vintage ‘65 (purchased new), Mod Shop ‘50s build (w/late 50’s Pups), Acoustisonic, and this ‘modern build’, so definitely a whim. In the past I’ve preferred vintage options, and disliked the look of HSS pups, but I decided to be more flexible and modern, I chose the HSS Noiseless. I’ll find out in a few weeks how it works out.

Here are a couple photos of the build and my choices:

(maybe not, guess I’m too new for attachments)

An option to Fender's noiseless pickups are those made by DiMarzio. I prefer the Virtual Vintage types for their tone and the fact that they are visually indistinguishable from standard single-coil Strat pickups. No additional body routing is required, they're compatible with 250KΩ volume and tone pots, they're quiet as a church mouse, and sound quite authentic. I do own a couple of Strats fitted with Fender's SCN pickups and they sound 'hokay' but not near as Stratty as the DiMarzio's.

Picked it up today, HSS noiseless pups. Haven’t plugged it in yet and still can’t post photos, I’ll give it more time tomorrow.

I’ve been a bit busy with spring mowing, but have now had a chance to play this a few times. I’m enjoying my newest Strat, it plays well, though I’m still getting used to the unfinished neck, and I like the looks too, similar to something I did with another Strat back in the 80’s. The noiseless pickups work well, not as nice as my vintage ‘65 or 50’s build Strats, but I’m mostly playing it through a Helix LT and there’s plenty of ‘modeling’ gong on, definitely enjoying how quiet they are. My first locking tuners too.

I’m doing a bit of blackening on this now, but here’s how it arrived from the Mod Shop.

Edit: Also first time I’m linking to Google Photos, please let me know if there’s any problem viewing this.

I can see your guitar photo just fine. Ya, you have to save your photos to a hosting site and put the link here for them to appear.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Nice guitar. And cool pillow, too!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    I can see your guitar photo just fine. Ya, you have to save your photos to a hosting site and put the link here for them to appear.
    Thanks for the confirmation, you used to have to jump through hoops to link to Google Photos, they finally made it easy, just wasn’t sure others could see it.

Looks sorta "Gilmore-ish".

I like it!

HARMONICA ALERT! HARMONICA ALERT! HARMONICA ALERT!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

The only instrument you get better at by sucking more.
    Mark

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Nice guitar. And cool pillow, too!
    Thanks!

I have two pillows, think I found the covers and my wife stuffed them.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Looks sorta "Gilmore-ish".

I like it!
    … but blacker!

I like too how the skunk stripe looks against the rosewood neck …

There should be a picture of the 'backside' here, but my Google Picture links aren't always working.
    Last edited by AudioHTIT; 06-29-2022 at 03:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    The only instrument you get better at by sucking more.
    Though I wish I could, I can’t actually play them. Our other guitar player (who does play harp) sometimes forgets his, I bought these for him to play when he’s here. They do make good accessories!
    Last edited by AudioHTIT; 06-28-2022 at 08:19 AM.

Though I wish I could, I can’t actually play them. Our other guitar player (who does play harp) some forgets his, I bought these for him to play when he’s here. They do make good accessories!
    Buy one for yourself and play around with it -- they're not that difficult to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Buy one for yourself and play around with it -- they're not that difficult to learn.
    My wife bought me one years ago, I tried for a while, just never clicked with me. Think I’m going to try and get my niece into it, maybe drive my brother nuts