Thread: When did Fender start using tilt-back legs?

When did Fender start using tilt-back legs?

I was looking closely at my 1969 Super Reverb and noticed the tilt-back legs have "patent pending" stamped near the bottom. They almost look like new, no corrosion or rust, but that's the case with the rest of the metal parts on the amp also. It came with an original heavy Fender cover, so I suspect the prior owner never gigged with it and kept it covered when not in use.

I have seen replacement "vintage style" legs for sale from various sites, but not "patent pending" ones. I suspect they may be original, but would like to know when they first started being used by Fender to determine if the "patent pending" ones would have still been on amps built in 1969. By the way, since the Super Reverb is so tall, the legs measure 19 inches, compared to 16 inches on my Super Twin Reverb.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: When did Fender start using tilt-back legs?

As near as I can tell, the tilt-back legs were introduced in mid-year 1960 but only on selected 'professional' models. These amps were all of the "piggy-back" variety (Showman, Bassman, Bandmaster, and Tremolux). Later on they became factory-installed standard on several of the combos as well. Initially, all legs were stamped "PAT. PEND." with one of each pair also marked with a serial number formatted as 'SXXXXX', 'MXXXXX', or 'LXXXXXX' with the letter corresponding to the size of the leg: S = 14-inch M = 16-inch, L = 19-inch. At some point the application of the serial number became haphazard, with some pairs unnumbered while others were marked by a serial on both legs. Ultimately the serial numbers were discontinued but the 'PAT. PEND' script remained until circa 1972 when the supply of these legs was exhausted.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    As near as I can tell, the tilt-back legs were introduced in mid-year 1960 but only on selected 'professional' models. These amps were all of the "piggy-back" variety (Showman, Bassman, Bandmaster, and Tremolux). Later on they became factory-installed standard on several of the combos as well. Initially, all legs were stamped "PAT. PEND." with one of each pair also marked with a serial number formatted as 'SXXXXX', 'MXXXXX', or 'LXXXXXX' with the letter corresponding to the size of the leg: S = 14-inch M = 16-inch, L = 19-inch. At some point the application of the serial number became haphazard, with some pairs unnumbered while others were marked by a serial on both legs. Ultimately the serial numbers were discontinued but the 'PAT. PEND' script remained until circa 1972 when the supply of these legs was exhausted.
    Thanks for the information Phantomman. Neither of my tilt back legs has a serial number as far as I can see. When I was researching this earlier today, I did see some photos of the patent pending legs with a serial number stamped into the legs, but since mine don't have a serial number, that got me to thinking whether they were reproductions. But based on what you said above, I believe they are original, as was everything else on the amp (until I recapped it last summer).
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

The situation with the tilt-back legs is similar to that of the footswitches. Theoretically they switched from a black-enameled housing to chrome plated when the amps were changed to silverface cosmetics during the 67/68 model year transition. However I've seen black footswitches shipped with new Fender amps as late as 1971, perhaps even 1972.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    The situation with the tilt-back legs is similar to that of the footswitches. Theoretically they switched from a black-enameled housing to chrome plated when the amps were changed to silverface cosmetics during the 67/68 model year transition. However I've seen black footswitches shipped with new Fender amps as late as 1971, perhaps even 1972.
    My 1969 Super Reverb has the black footswitch. I've cleaned it up.

I've had to replace the switches in a couple of mine but overall, they're pretty durable and robustly constructed. The re-issues, somewhat less so. Many of them suffer from poorly-soldered ground wires (not enough heat).

Here's the "PAT PEND." stamp and the black footswitch. (I put the red nail polish on the reverb switch).

I'm pretty sure the footswitch with my Princeton Reverb was a black housing. I think it was a '72 that I bought in early '73, which would have been right around my birthday. I don't think I ever even used it once. Trying to think, it probably stayed in the back of the amp all those years until I sold it in '06.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I've also noticed that the switches on the "made in Mexico" reproduction foot pedals require a lot less pressure to activate, and seem kind of flimsy (the one on the left). The one on the right I rarely use. That amp has a separate one button foot pedal for reverb, but it was missing when I bought the amp, so I recently bought a reproduction one button pedal, that can also be used with a Vibro Champ to activate the tremolo.

An example of a 19-inch leg installed on an original '68 Super Reverb......

Note the "L" prefix to the serial number.

At some point, Fender quit stamping anything on the bottom of the legs. This is from a mid '70's Super Twin Reverb, after I cleaned it up with some steel wool and WD40 yesterday.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    Here's the "PAT PEND." stamp and the black footswitch. (I put the red nail polish on the reverb switch).

good idea…I use a piece of red electrical tape on the Reverb button side. Easier to pick the right button as my brain has been known to wander after the amp volume gets around ‘6’!