Thread: 12" FRFR Monitor as My Main Cab

12" FRFR Monitor as My Main Cab

I've been using a 2000W FRFR monitor for my guitar onstage in the backline. This allows people in the audience who are close to the stage to hear the guitar since the mains are usually over them. I gotta say, I really like it. For a smaller venue I can play sans reinforcement and just use it the same as an amp cabinet. It also has dual inputs so the stereo ping-pongs aren't lost. At 2000W it really drills through the mix. The one I'm using is also a composite cab so it takes rain and snow well and only weighs about 30 pounds. Sound is consistent night-to-night and venue to venue too.

When I think of how we used to struggle in the old days with mic'ed amps and guitar monitors I sometimes wonder how we did it, lol. Pretty neat, you may want to consider one.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Re: 12" FRFR Monitor as My Main Cab

I’ve been FRFR since 2009 for my rig. (Only recently did I go with a traditional
    combo for at home upstairs practice).
    So it seems you are using it more as a front fill?
    I use mine as a monitor when IEM support is not available.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    I’ve been FRFR since 2009 for my rig. (Only recently did I go with a traditional
    combo for at home upstairs practice).
    So it seems you are using it more as a front fill?
    I use mine as a monitor when IEM support is not available.
    Yep, front fill - basically replacing the stage cab. Why am I always the last to find out about this stuff out, lol? Sure makes sounding good a lot easier.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

For clarity, my guitar preamp is bypassing the two Crowns in my rack that power the backline cabs and instead going straight to the FRFR powered cab. The FRFR had become my stage cabinet. I still send the balanced outputs to the FOH in stereo. Though both channels are into the FRFR I get the spacial effect upfront from the ambient sound.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    It also has dual inputs so the stereo ping-pongs aren't lost. …
    Can you explain how the dual inputs help with stereo? The FRFRs I see with ‘dual inputs’ have an extra input for each (L/R) channel, so I don’t understand how it helps with a single instrument’s stereo?

Is there a dedicated FRFR thread?

Quote Originally Posted by AudioHTIT View Post

Can you explain how the dual inputs help with stereo? The FRFRs I see with ‘dual inputs’ have an extra input for each (L/R) channel, so I don’t understand how it helps with a single instrument’s stereo?

Is there a dedicated FRFR thread?
    My guitar rig is stereo. I run some patches with reverb mixed high and low gain amps with say a 55/45 mix on the first channel and a 45/55 mix on the second . I usually don't use reverb very much as it muddies the sound and I prefer delay. I always ping-pong my delay.

It's all about making it sound bigger than it really is. Layering the amps dry and wet gives you singing sustain with clear cut without getting "clicky" or non-dynamic like what happens if you try to do it with compression alone. The 2000W cabs provide a lot of clarity and cut onstage even in a boomy room.

Chuck

My guitar rig is stereo. I run some patches with reverb mixed high and low gain amps with say a 55/45 mix on the first channel and a 45/55 mix on the second . I usually don't use reverb very much as it muddies the sound and I prefer delay. I always ping-pong my delay.

It's all about making it sound bigger than it really is. Layering the amps dry and wet gives you singing sustain with clear cut without getting "clicky" or non-dynamic like what happens if you try to do it with compression alone. The 2000W cabs provide a lot of clarity and cut onstage even in a boomy room.

Chuck
    The stereo I understand and have done it for a long time (still have the pair of D-120 cabinets I built in 1970). I’m currently using a Helix LT fed L/R balanced into a pair of powered monitors, but I’m looking at FRFRs with more power. In my simple setup, I don’t see how I could drive a second pair of inputs, except with another device (keyboard?) or chain (different footpedal(s). My Helix, just has one set of outputs. I see the dual input feature on some FRFRs, but I don’t have a second device or output to drive it (except again, maybe a keyboard). You seem to have the ability to create a second patch or mix, and send it to a second pair of outputs (and on the the FRFRs second pair of inputs), that’s what I’m missing.

Quote Originally Posted by AudioHTIT View Post
    The stereo I understand and have done it for a long time (still have the pair of D-120 cabinets I built in 1970). I’m currently using a Helix LT fed L/R balanced into a pair of powered monitors, but I’m looking at FRFRs with more power. In my simple setup, I don’t see how I could drive a second pair of inputs, except with another device (keyboard?) or chain (different footpedal(s). My Helix, just has one set of outputs. I see the dual input feature on some FRFRs, but I don’t have a second device or output to drive it (except again, maybe a keyboard). You seem to have the ability to create a second patch or mix, and send it to a second pair of outputs (and on the the FRFRs second pair of inputs), that’s what I’m missing.
    I've never played a Helix but I believe it can run parallel signal paths with different amps. Layering amps is pretty much standard practice for recording and live practice ( blues excepted where they cling to tubes.) My rig has both left and right line outs and balanced XLR left and right outputs. My FRFR cabinets are 2000W Headrush powered cabs. The XLR's go to FOH and if required the main board can run the guitar out to monitors but I have no problem hearing myself. The guitar is in the monitor mix if the stage is big or it's an outdoor venue too.

I dig the Headrush cabs as they are flat response, breakup free and best of all - 2000W and I carry one with one hand. I don't have roadies so there's nothing worse than feeling beat up BEFORE the show starts.

That's the nice thing about being a player in the modern era, you can have a balls-out rig and never break a sweat setting up or tearing down.

Chuck

I've never played a Helix but I believe it can run parallel signal paths with different amps. Layering amps is pretty much standard practice for recording and live practice ( blues excepted where they cling to tubes.) My rig has both left and right line outs and balanced XLR left and right outputs. My FRFR cabinets are 2000W Headrush powered cabs. The XLR's go to FOH and if required the main board can run the guitar out to monitors but I have no problem hearing myself. The guitar is in the monitor mix if the stage is big or it's an outdoor venue too.

I dig the Headrush cabs as they are flat response, breakup free and best of all - 2000W and I carry one with one hand. I don't have roadies so there's nothing worse than feeling beat up BEFORE the show starts.

That's the nice thing about being a player in the modern era, you can have a balls-out rig and never break a sweat setting up or tearing down.

Chuck
    I’ve been considering the Headrush, good to hear you like them, hoping my mom & pop store can get them as I like to give them business. The Helix LT also has XLR balanced and 1/4” unbalanced (though the LT doesn’t give you individual level control), I’ve been playing with the 1/4” for a second feed to my old D-120 cabs, which is probably similar to what you’re describing.

I don’t gig much anymore, mostly recording and jamming with old friends at my place, but I’ve started playing with a guy down the road and something light will be nice. One of my friends brings a Fender ToneMaster to my place and gets great sound from a light package, so I agree, good to have choices like that (thank you Class-D). I still have a ‘68 Bandmaster Reverb with a pair of 8” Jensens built in when I need a workout
    Last edited by AudioHTIT; 06-05-2022 at 07:24 PM.