Thread: Missing Truss Nut

Forum Member

Missing Truss Nut

Hello! I was given a 79 Precision from a deceased Brother. I have been going through it to get it in good playing form. It appears the truss nut is missing. There is a male hex nut about an inch back in the hole where the truss rod is located. I can't get anything to reach it. Does anyone have any info on this? It needs adjusting badly.
    Thanks!

Re: Missing Truss Nut

??? male hex nut ??? I don't believe I've ever seen that before on a Fender. I know that Gibson uses a truss rod nut that needs a socket to adjust. Every fender style truss rod nut I've ever seen used a hex wrench/Allen key. It can be tricky to get down in there. The short end of a standard hex key should be long enough to reach. Or a really long T-handle style although they can be tricky to find in the right size and be long enough to get down past the tuners.

can you take any pictures and post them here?

I found a video about a broken truss rod nut and as you can see, it was quite a procedure to get it fixed

good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    Every fender style truss rod nut I've ever seen used a hex wrench/Allen key.
    Vintage Fender instruments from 1949 thru 1972 (and subsequent re-issues of same) had their truss-rod adjustments located at the heel end of the neck and required a #1 flat-blade screwdriver.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Vintage Fender instruments from 1949 thru 1972 (and subsequent re-issues of same) had their truss-rod adjustments located at the heel end of the neck and required a #1 flat-blade screwdriver.
    thanks, I should have specified headstock truss rod nut

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    ??? male hex nut ??? I don't believe I've ever seen that before on a Fender. I know that Gibson uses a truss rod nut that needs a socket to adjust. Every fender style truss rod nut I've ever seen used a hex wrench/Allen key. It can be tricky to get down in there. The short end of a standard hex key should be long enough to reach. Or a really long T-handle style although they can be tricky to find in the right size and be long enough to get down past the tuners.

can you take any pictures and post them here?

I found a video about a broken truss rod nut and as you can see, it was quite a procedure to get it fixed

good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    I can’t figure out how to add a photo but the photo doesn’t show anything much because the Nut is missing. All that’s left is the end of the truss rod with a male hex fitting that is approximately 1” back inside the hole. I researched this for a while and couldn’t find anything much.

there's stickies on this site about how to post pictures, and a test area. Do you post pictures on FB or any social media?

When you say the nut is missing, is the walnut (or plastic) plug also missing? It will be a different color from the maple. Also, do you have a maple fingerboard or rosewood? Pics can really help and it's a good skill to learn how to do.

If the plug is gone and somebody has taken the nut off, there's a good chance the truss rod may be fubar. However, maybe you'll be lucky and they removed the old nut and simply could not find a new one to put in before they gave up or extenuating circumstances prevented them from completing the task.

From the video, that is an extreme example but in general a truss rod nut is not going to fall off, it is only taken out by deliberate action/intent.

Again, I can't stress enough how much pictures would help.

Forum Member

Here you go guys. The adjustment should be at the body end of the neck right? The headstock has a plug but it does not look removable. It seems to be under the clear finish.

Forum Member

holy schmucking fit, there ain't no truss rod nut. I know it can happen but that's the first time I've ever seen one completely missing.

Dang. Hopefully they are available for purchase.

Maybe contact Fender or Stew-Mack. I see truss rod nuts available, but the vendor would have to know the particulars of your bass, as it looks like there are different nuts available.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Forum Member

became a searcher,wanting to discover who i was and what made me precise. my view of myself turned into changing. i desired a stable base to start from. i commenced to resist3 stress to behave in ways that i didn’t like any greater,and i used to be delighted by who i in reality become. i got here to feel a good deal extra sure that no one can ever take my region.
    e-commerce business
    Last edited by Cogs; 03-15-2022 at 07:49 AM.