Thread: Scamming on Reverb?

Scamming on Reverb?

Reverb, the eBay of music, is considered for the most part to be reliable and trustworthy. That doesn't mean there aren't scammers there.

Now, I don't know if this is a scam, but my Spider-sense is tingling.

I have been lusting after a Taylor Builder's Edition 652ce 12-string acoustic. They aren't easy to find in stores, although my interest was piqued by playing one recently. Surfing around Reverb, I
    found one, used, but in "Excellent" condition. Reading the description, it said that, "The area near the end pin was heavily damaged, but has been repaired. It is structurally solid and sanded smooth, but the repairs are visible." I thought this might account for the nearly $1,000 drop in price. So, I contacted the seller, who is listed as being in Germany, and asked about how this damage might affect the guitar, and whether taxes and shipping from Germany to the U. S. might add to the cost.

This is the reply I received:

Oh, I'm sorry I misled you. I copied the description from another ad and didn't see what it said about repairs)

In fact, there was no repair, the guitar is in excellent condition

Regarding the delivery, I have coupons for free shipping with product insurance.
    I could register it for you, but I'll need your cell number.

If everything suits you and you are ready to buy, after I activate the coupon, you will receive an SMS notification with further instructions

Coupons for free shipping? Register it for me? My phone number?

None of these are Reverb terms or conditions I've seen before. I note that the seller only joined Reverb this year (which is only three months old) and has no feedback ratings. There are three listings by them, and two of them -- the high-end guitars -- are heavily discounted.

OK, so let me see if I've got this straight: New seller, no ratings, misleading ad, unfamiliar terminology, asking for information outside of Reverb (against Reverb policy, if I understand correctly)? Uh, no. I think I'll pass.

Good move? Or missing an opportunity?
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

Re: Scamming on Reverb?

I was out of town a few weeks ago, when I got an e-mail from a friend asking me to help him out. Seems he had the "flu", and had to stay home, but wanted to get an Apple card for $400 for his nephews birthday, would I get one and he would reimburse me. Just send the numbers from the card, and he would have the birthday covered!
    I e-mailed that I would be back in town later, and would be glad to get his credit card, and buy the gift card for him, "he" never e-mailed me back!
    I got an e-mail the next day sending me a new address, seems everybody on his contact list had been asked to "help"!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I smell tuna!

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Scam
    Mark

There is a "Report Listing to Reverb" link on each seller's listing, so I sent a "suspected fraudulent listing" report to them. We'll see what happens.
    Striving to be ordinary

The ad's uses of borrowed photos doesn't inspire confidence, either!

https://guitar.com/review/acoustic-g...edition-652ce/

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    I was out of town a few weeks ago, when I got an e-mail from a friend asking me to help him out. Seems he had the "flu", and had to stay home, but wanted to get an Apple card for $400 for his nephews birthday, would I get one and he would reimburse me. Just send the numbers from the card, and he would have the birthday covered!
    I e-mailed that I would be back in town later, and would be glad to get his credit card, and buy the gift card for him, "he" never e-mailed me back!
    I got an e-mail the next day sending me a new address, seems everybody on his contact list had been asked to "help"!
    holy shucking fit. My brother's email list got hacked, we kept getting send these 'miracle cure' emails asking us to click a link. At first he tried to fix it, but it had both his personal and business contacts. he ended up having to change his address. Wicked PITA. I have absolutely zero tolerances for scammers, almost even less than for thieves although they are essentially the same thing.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    The ad's uses of borrowed photos doesn't inspire confidence, either!
    That's good detective work Don! I would be very suspicious of someone selling something in this price range who didn't take their own detailed photos.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    That's good detective work Don! I would be very suspicious of someone selling something in this price range who didn't take their own detailed photos.
    The pics looked a little too good for a typical Reverb listing.

The ad is still up on Reverb. Even the "copied text from another ad" in the description.

But the price has been reduced. Again.
    Striving to be ordinary