Thread: Dodged A Guitar Bullet Today

Dodged A Guitar Bullet Today

I'm in St. Petersburg, Florida to attend an event, and decided with some spare time, I'd check out a local guitar shop, Seven C Music. There aren't many LGS in this area of the state, I'm told, so with an objective in mind, thought I'd pay them a visit.

Located in an odd area of town (is there a "not odd" area in suburban Florida?), Seven C looks from the outside a lot like a converted Quonset hut. Inside, it's actually quite inviting. They have guitars on the walls, a coffee shop (!), the repair area in full view, and a very amiable staff. From my talks with them, I gather than the owners are former Taylor staff. One of them was reportedly the inventor of Taylor's Expression System electronics!

I have mentioned elsewhere that I have my eye on a Taylor 12-string. There's one where my GS Mini is being repaired, but if I buy locally I have to pay sales tax, and that's a good chunk of change. So, I spoke with the Seven C guys, and I could avoid sales tax buying from them, but I'd still have to pay the shipping charge. But that could save me about $170.

Except they didn't have one in stock. Oh, wait. They just got an invoice for their latest shipment, so they went through the list. Nope. Remembering back a few months, I was told they had two of them, and that they sold rather quickly. "I might have to order more."

But, and here's the big but: All guitar makers are backlogged. Shortage of equipment, supply chain issues, labor problems and many COVID-related stuff we've all heard about are making any new guitar builds about 3-4 months out. The recommendation they gave me? If you can buy it locally, best grab it while you can.

So, I walked out without buying anything more than a cup of coffee. I didn't even play any of the guitars they had on display ("Please ask an associate before playing" read the signs, and I didn't want to ask). My wallet thanked me. I had some great conversation, a good cup of coffee, and my eyes, if not my hands, were filled with guitar loveliness.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Dodged A Guitar Bullet Today

luckily for me, I'm GASsing for amps and not guitars.

wait, what? Did I say 'luckily'?

I'm passing on that Victoria I saw a couple weeks ago at my GC. Maybe if it's still there in a few months and they're willing to work with me on the price/financing. While I do want a 6L6 amp, I want one with beefier iron and I'm still holding out that I might find a JCM2000 DSL 50 locally. Tons on the left coast, mid-West or FL for local pickup only. Yeah, not working for me, sadly.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I'm lucky enough to be a simple man. I'm satisfied with whatever is enough for me to work with my band and make my music.

So, I no longer 'gas' for anything else. Don't get me wrong: I would like to buy other guitars and will do it if a good deal turns up. Plus I am thinking seriously about starting that parts tele project. But I don't really need either.

I started out with cheapo stuff, then upgraded my gear with a pair of Epiphones (a Les Paul standard and an SG 400), and finally sold them all and bought my American Standard Strat and my Gibson SG '61 reissue. Then bought a cheaper Fender strat to use as a stunt when I play in less than respectable venues. Never bonded with the Gibson and sold it. Bought the Rickenbacker. That's about it. I'm a three guitar man. My main axe is and probably will always be the American Strat. I keep the Rickenbacker because of its kinda unique tone and also because they are not very abundant here.

Pedals, well. I like good stuff, being a Fulltone avid user. But I don't need too many pedals. Tuner, wah, fuzz, distortion and univibe are all I'm using right now. I own lots of other good pedals and when I need a new one I trade.

My only amp is a Blues Jr. Tweed with a Jensen speaker. I'll probably get another one in the long run but I don't really need it. This one gives me all I need.

Of course, there are tons, millions of guitars and amps and pedals that are more expensive and 'better', but what I got suffices me entirely as a working musician. As for loving pieces of gear, well... I don't love anything that I own except for my American Strat (this one is a keeper and I'll never part with it, we had lots of fun and played lots of gigs together).

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Actually I read this totally differently. You found a good local shop. I use to live in central FL and the 2 good local shops went bye bye.
    Recently moved the South Indiana and while I’m not loving it, I found a great local shop quickly. Met the owner and we are already becoming buds. He even called out my name to say hello the other day at a random place we crossed paths at.
    Already done 2 larger purchases/trades with them that we both felt good about.
    Got to like that! I stop in a few times a week. They know I’m just trying to get away from my work computer screen to think. (Yep they’re within a 10 min drive). Actually I may be picking up some adhoc work from them to analyze their business data.

when I was in FL, it was a local gun store, here it’s guitar. It’s easier to talk the wife into more guitars than guns. Yep I need that adhoc work LOL
    Mark

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    Yep I need that adhoc work LOL
    Side hustles can be wonderful opportunities.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."