Thread: Modified Old Precision Bass

Forum Member

Modified Old Precision Bass

I have a 1952 Fender Precision bass that I modified in the early 70's to update the hardware - new pickups, bridge, pots, etc...I was wondering if any of you have any idea of it's worth today??? It was a mess when I bought it - muddy sound, couldn't be tuned....any help, ideas, opinions would be appreciated....many thanks... ....

Re: Modified Old Precision Bass

You are going to have to post some pictures or a link to some pictures for anyone to offer any kind of a value estimate.

Additionally, you should describe exactly the modifications you performed. For example, pickup upgrades, routing, hardware changes, finish changes, what remains that is original if anything, etc. You get the idea.

Based on the limited information you have provided there is no way to offer an accurate estimate of its value.
    Born in Fullerton, California in 1952

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    You are going to have to post some pictures or a link to some pictures for anyone to offer any kind of a value estimate.

Additionally, you should describe exactly the modifications you performed. For example, pickup upgrades, routing, hardware changes, finish changes, what remains that is original if anything, etc. You get the idea.

Based on the limited information you have provided there is no way to offer an accurate estimate of its value.

I replaced the original pickup with a new up to date at the time seymour duncan precision pickup - also added a humbacking pickup back by a new badass bridge...all new pots and switches and pick-guard...refinished body...neck all original and perfectly straight, frets ok...

I can't see a different way of attaching a picture other than the copy and paste I tried...the embedded icons have an insert image but need a url which I don't know how to address...Many thanks again, Jim

Forum Member

[QUOTE=julianjym;655623]I replaced the original pickup with a new up to date at the time seymour duncan precision pickup - also added a humbacking pickup back by a new badass bridge...all new pots and switches and pick-guard...refinished body...neck all original and perfectly straight, frets ok...

Forum Member

will try to attach a smaller jpg...

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

You need to upload your photos to a remote hosting site such as IBB, Pinterest, Photobucket, etc. Then use the assigned tags for each image and insert them into your posts here.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Ok, will give that a try...thanks

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

IBB is free and very easy to use. Photobucket was user-friendly but now costs money. I'm not sure about Pinterest.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I use Imgur dot com. free version. but lawdy that place is a black hole of time mismanagement. I can't count the hours I've spent, meaning to go upload a pic so I can link to it, only to click on pic after pic after ... well, you get the idea.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

If that is a ‘52 Precision it is a massively butchered instrument and I don’t feel you’ll find too many buyers. I wish you luck with the sale.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    If that is a ‘52 Precision it is a massively butchered instrument and I don’t feel you’ll find too many buyers. I wish you luck with the sale.
    Who would have thought it still would have such original value after all these years...I had to play it professionally and it just didn't cut it back then, way before the digial age so I made it work...Oh well. it's still my number one electric bass (butchered or not) even though I retired from playing as a primary income...will leave it to my grandchildren...thanks for your wishes...