Thread: I just drank a can of Coca Cola

I just drank a can of Coca Cola

Ok, not willing to make this a personal blog or go all nonsense here, just pure curiosity.

I am not much of a pop drinker, but I just had a can of Coca Cola, which I hadn't drank in quite a long time now. COVID really messed with my olfactory and gustative senses, but I remember that down here Coca Cola tastes a bit sweeter than it used to back when I was a boy in the early 80s.

Considering that Brazilian Coca Cola is sweetened with cane sugar (just as in Mexico IIRC) , it probably tastes a bit different from the American stuff.

Does it taste different from what you guys remember from back in the 60s and 70s in the US?

TFF Stage Crew

Re: I just drank a can of Coca Cola

Not much of a Coca-Cola drinker. I prefer Pepsi, but even so I don't drink much of that anymore, either.
    But anyway, here in the States we have the option of Pepsi made with real sugar or corn syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    Not much of a Coca-Cola drinker. I prefer Pepsi, but even so I don't drink much of that anymore, either.
    But anyway, here in the States we have the option of Pepsi made with real sugar or corn syrup.

And is your modern Coke/Pepsi any different from what it used to taste back in the day?

TFF Stage Crew

Oh man, I couldn't even tell you

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I couldn't discern much difference between Coke sweetened with corn syrup and Coke made with real sugar but Heinz sells a condiment called "Simply Ketchup" which uses real sugar in lieu of the corn syrup and -- to me -- it tastes much more authentic than their normal fare. It's sweeter, brighter, and slightly tangier.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

My beautiful bride is a Coke fan, and once in a while I buy her some Mexican Cokes. She thinks they taste oK, just more like a Pepsi!
    ( In my younger days I got a buddy to help me go pick up a wrecked car and get it back home). I stopped at a convenience store and he ran in to get cigarettes and a couple of sodas. He handed me a Coke and a couple packets of sugar, said "they didn't have any Pepsi so I got the sugar to get it sweet enough for you!)

I consumed way too much Coke and Pepsi - whichever was on sale (in fairness, I drank caffeine-free soda). Easily a 2 liter bottle every day or two. Cutting soda out was probably the biggest contributing factor to me losing 45 pounds since last summer, as well as my blood sugar levels going WAY down.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

GJ's post reflected many of my personal friends' experiences, too. I pretty much quit soda back in '80 or so, when I took some college elective courses on nutrition. I also applied the same to coffee as well, not sugar and no cream.

Pretty much nothing that comes from a cardboard box is worth eating. If you're paying for convenience, you are pretty much not getting nutrition. Just the sad and truth of it.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    Pretty much nothing that comes from a cardboard box is worth eating. If you're paying for convenience, you are pretty much not getting nutrition. Just the sad and truth of it.
    This bears repeating.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I'm not really a soda drinker and actually prefer Pepsi over Coke (I did a blind taste test at home several years ago) and prefer Dr. Pepper over Coke and Pepsi.

Coke underwent a change in the mid '80s when they came out with new Coke and tried to go back with Coke Classic. I wasn't a Coke drinker so I don't really know the difference.

When I drink Coke made in Mexico with sugar, I can't really tell how different it is from Coke with corn syrup. I'd need to do another taste test.

I drink unsweetened tea (hot and iced), sparkling water, or beer.

To show how bad my soda addiction was, last July I went grocery shopping and bought soda (on sale!). In fairness, part of it was to prepare for a 4th of July party, but I bought mass quantities of Coke. As of this morning there are still 10 bottles of Coke/Pepsi sitting in our pantry. I haven't touched it and feel great about it, but I'd be lying if I said I don't miss it!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain