Thread: The Sunday Thread for February 27, 2022

The Sunday Thread for February 27, 2022

It's time to say farewell to February. And none too soon, if you ask me. Spring is edging its way in, and I welcome the change!

No matter what is going on in parts of the world, we still have our guitars, our amps, our accessories and our desire to play. At least I hope that last is still with us all. I know it is with me. I don't think I've ever enjoyed playing guitar as much as I do these days!

A typical Sunday lined up for me. No sports on TV, no special activities planned, so after church and lunch, I plan to alternate between reading, playing guitar and watching 1883, thanks to my daughter who has included me on her Paramount+ subscription!

I must throw in a nod for a book I'm reading right now. In fact, I finished it and am starting it all over again! It's called "
    Why The Universe Is The Way It Is" by Hugh Ross. If you have a curious mind, are not put off by deep scientific language and logic, you might check it out.

Here's hoping you all have a great Sunday. Unless you have other plans.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Sunday Thread for February 27, 2022

Today I will focus on testing and evaluating another microphone for Amazon Vine. This one is a TZ Audio X3 condenser mic. It looks pretty good for a relatively low price mic. It's plugged in to my mixer already and ready for comparisons. I'll do vocals and acoustic guitar into a set of headphones and see how it shapes up.

Otherwise, taking a break today. Had a four-day weekend, with more plumbing work than I did since I gave up the trade nearly 30 years ago. Thursday I did a plumbing call on the ship, the Amistad. There was a water line they couldn't figure out what it went to and we traced it back to... nothing. Ships (any boat, for that matter) all have a tendency to hide things like wiring and water lines behind stuff. I'm not as spry as I used to be and had to crawl around some pretty tight spaces (I can't imagine how I would have done if I hadn't lost so much weight). It was a dead line to nowhere, so we pulled it out and got rid of it. They also had some issues with their blackwater holding tank. The pump that discharges the effluent overboard was shot and we decided that we didn't really need it, since there are no plans to leave Long Island Sound this summer so we couldn't discharge overboard anyway. While the ship is 20 years old, it has some major issues. The organization that owns it is only five years old and after the prior group mismanaged the ship so badly, we are just starting out to get it ship-shape again. That would be easier if the old group hadn't ruined the reputation amongst funders (and neglected the ship so badly). That is slowly being restored. I was happy to volunteer to do my part.

Yesterday I visited a buddy who had a big plumbing problem. Last week the water main in front of his house blew and besides losing half his yard, it did a job on his plumbing system. A local guy said it would cost $1,400 to fix it. It took about an hour, but cleaning the pressure reduction valve at the spot where the water came in seemed to have fixed it. When the main blew it sucked crap into the pipe (10" line) and when restored, some of that crap got stuck in the valve. Just had to pull it apart and clean all surfaces ( and sand the seat a bit). Total cost to my buddy, a cup of coffee.

Light week planned. Only one training session on Tuesday night, and that is remote.

I'm trying to overcome the mental block I've had since losing the end of my finger last Spring. I need to get back to playing guitar. I still can't hold a pick correctly, but I sure as heck can teach myself to do it another way. Oh well, that's the plan at least!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

fairly decent day, got out for a nice walk after I shoveled the back area of the house by the kitchen's slider. A front is coming through in a bit and we might get snow squalls. Did some cleaning (*gasp*) around the house. Even bachelors need to gather up the filth every anon. Now I'm ready for a 4 hour nap.

Watched Chuck's video he made for Sergio, got inspired to play. I had been neglecting the guitar the last couple weeks, since I put the 60th anni back together. Played for about 90 minutes, unplugged. Got a blistah on muh little finger. Separated nail bed, actually, hate that.

Not much else planned, want to play, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. Almost feel like walking some more but it is now dark out. In two weeks, this will be 7PM and getting dark. Two more weeks to my beloved Daylights Saving Time. Even though tomorrow is going to be down right cold, spring is getting nearer.

My birthday is Wednesday, I'll be "When I'm Sixty Four". I remember first hearing that when I was 9 or 10 years old, going "wow, that's a long time away".
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    My birthday is Wednesday, I'll be "When I'm Sixty Four". I remember first hearing that when I was 9 or 10 years old, going "wow, that's a long time away".
    Happy birthday in advance! I too, had the same feeling for years hearing that song. Nowadays, when I play it, I change it to "When I'm Eighty-Four!"
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I feel so good right now. I actually grabbed my guitar and played for quite a while. Mrs. Junkie ran upstairs when she heard and was so happy I was playing. I was testing out a new microphone - I really like it, but after a bit I forgot about the mic and just played guitar.

Here's the mic - TZ Audio Stellar X3

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain