Thread: Learning to Play

Learning to Play

Just a thought about how hard it is to learn to play at my age.......

Learning chords that sound good one day and the next day sound like you have never played them.

Trying to pick out single note licks and missing the strings.

Strumming and not being able to form chords that you think you have learned.

Trying to learn the pentatonic scale and noticing as you play your pick gets so far from the strings you miss them.

No complaints.....just thought that I'll probably be dead before learn anything.

Re: Learning to Play

it only feels like that ... most of the time at the beginning. I once tried to teach a nephew, who was an absolute beginner. He had the same issues. But he wanted to watch wrassling and play video games more, he thought playing guitar would be like his Rockstar game.

I may not be very good, but I stuck with it for 50 years. I sure hope that counts for something
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
    Just a thought about how hard it is to learn to play at my age.......

Learning chords that sound good one day and the next day sound like you have never played them.

Trying to pick out single note licks and missing the strings.

Strumming and not being able to form chords that you think you have learned.

Trying to learn the pentatonic scale and noticing as you play your pick gets so far from the strings you miss them.

No complaints.....just thought that I'll probably be dead before learn anything.

Hey, buddy! It’s all about the trip, not the destination.

I felt likewise when I first picked up the electric guitar. Being a former classical (nylon+fingernails) player in my mid-30s, I bought a cheap Les Paul copy and a 15 watt solid state amp, only to find out that I could do VERY LITTLE with an electric.

Coming from merely reading partitures and playing mechanically, I never learned how to use my ears or improvise anything. I knew a lot about theory but didn’t even know how to use the basic boxes of the pentatonic scale.
    Missing strings with a pick was part of the game for a while too! It’s normal.

All you gotta do is keep doing it and have fun while you do it. I kept going, learning songs by ear and studying the core of what really matters to a blues/rock/pop guitar player: how to play the blues.

A shortcut nobody ever gave me: Understanding what I-IV-V means and learning the 5 boxes of the pentatonic scale, one at a time, will get you started very soon. Then you take your time to get to the rest.

As for technique and performance, just keep playing and whenever you feel that something is hard to do, don’t just keep pushing: research about the right way to do it. For a long while I couldn’t strum fast because I was doing it wrong: using my forearm instead of my wrist.

Die before you learn? Nah.

If I can use an analogy from another aspect of my life? Running.

Few people lace up a pair of running shoes and go out and complete a marathon. It takes a lot of time and training before one is able to complete a 26.2 mile run (true story: I saw a U. S. Marine, young and ripped, fall to his knees and whoops his cookies mere yards from the finish of a Marine Corps Marathon -- which I, a spindly oldster, had already completed). The runner's mantra is, "You have to crawl before you walk, and you have to walk before you run."

But every training run gets you just that much closer to the finish line.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    it only feels like that ... most of the time at the beginning. I once tried to teach a nephew, who was an absolute beginner. He had the same issues. But he wanted to watch wrassling and play video games more, he thought playing guitar would be like his Rockstar game.

I may not be very good, but I stuck with it for 50 years. I sure hope that counts for something
    Thanks for your words.

Let's see, in 50 years I'll be 123...I should be able to learn something by then.
    Thank a Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcane View Post

I felt likewise when I first picked up the electric guitar. Being a former classical (nylon+fingernails) player in my mid-30s, I bought a cheap Les Paul copy and a 15 watt solid state amp, only to find out that I could do VERY LITTLE with an electric.

Coming from merely reading partitures and playing mechanically, I never learned how to use my ears or improvise anything. I knew a lot about theory but didn’t even know how to use the basic boxes of the pentatonic scale.

All you gotta do is keep doing it and have fun while you do it. I kept going, learning songs by ear and studying the core of what really matters to a blues/rock/pop guitar player: how to play the blues.

A shortcut nobody ever gave me: Understanding what I-IV-V means and learning the 5 boxes of the pentatonic scale, one at a time, will get you started very soon. Then you take your time to get to the rest.

As for technique and performance, just keep playing and whenever you feel that something is hard to do, don’t just keep pushing: research about the right way to do it. For a long while I couldn’t strum fast because I was doing it wrong: using my forearm instead of my wrist.

I appreciate the advice and have started using it...and it helps! Thanks.
    Thank a Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    If I can use an analogy from another aspect of my life? Running.

Few people lace up a pair of running shoes and go out and complete a marathon. It takes a lot of time and training before one is able to complete a 26.2 mile run (true story: I saw a U. S. Marine, young and ripped, fall to his knees and whoops his cookies mere yards from the finish of a Marine Corps Marathon -- which I, a spindly oldster, had already completed). The runner's mantra is, "You have to crawl before you walk, and you have to walk before you run."

But every training run gets you just that much closer to the finish line.
    So true. Thanks for the reminder.
    Thank a Veteran

I appreciate the advice and have started using it...and it helps! Thanks.
    We’re here to help, brother! Feel free to reach me whenever you need, and remember: you’re good. How old are Keith and Mick? I’m biting my fingernails while hoping they come to South America this year!

We’re here to help, brother! Feel free to reach me whenever you need, and remember: you’re good. How old are Keith and Mick? I’m biting my fingernails while hoping they come to South America this year!
    Thank you. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your kindness.
    Thank a Veteran

What are the 5 boxes?

Quote Originally Posted by powerstroke View Post
    What are the 5 boxes?
    The guitar is a fascinating instrument. I learned music on piano, so the guitar presented new challenges to me when I discovered you could play the exact same note on different strings in different locations on the fretboard. Someone invented the CAGED system, named for the major movable chord shapes: C, A, G, E, D. Since they are movable, it's also possible to play a five-note scale (hence the term pentatonic) in any key, moving up and down the fingerboard. There are five "boxes" one can use to play pentatonic notes, and moving from one box to another adds breadth and depth to one's playing. Here's one of the many diagrams that show this.

Striving to be ordinary

What are the 5 boxes?

There are several ways to learn scales. One of them is to learn "shapes" or "boxes", i.e. to learn how the scale fits into patterns. Picking up these diagrams and memorizing them isn't the best way to learn how to solo and improvise on the guitar, you gotta know at least the basics about intervals and a handful of other concepts but this will definitely get a beginner playing pretty fast, before he learns the more complex things.

If you start from the root note on the low E string of your guitar, for instance, this is your E Minor Pentatonic in 5 "boxes":

About 70% of what blues guitar soloing is all about is made of these shapes.

Sugarcane......Thank you! That's really going to help me.
    Thank a Veteran

Hoping not to confuse you with TMI, but the pentatonic scale of the E minor is also the pentatonic scale of G major. They are exactly the same notes. The only difference is which note is used as the tonic "center" of the scale. Thus, it's possible to play both pentatonic minor and pentatonic major scales over a piece of music in a major key, but only a pentatonic minor sounds good over a song in a minor key.

Try it.

Play a few bars of an E minor chord. Then play the notes of the Em pentatonic. Then play a few bars of a G major chord and play those same notes. You'll see what I mean.
    Striving to be ordinary

Hoping not to confuse you with TMI, but the pentatonic scale of the E minor is also the pentatonic scale of G major. They are exactly the same notes. The only difference is which note is used as the tonic "center" of the scale. Thus, it's possible to play both pentatonic minor and pentatonic major scales over a piece of music in a major key, but only a pentatonic minor sounds good over a song in a minor key.

Try it.

Play a few bars of an E minor chord. Then play the notes of the Em pentatonic. Then play a few bars of a G major chord and play those same notes. You'll see what I mean.

Exactly. But for a beginner, it's better to stick to the minor pentatonic at first. Even the minor/major relationship might be confusing at first sight.

Grimmy, just figure out those shapes, ONE AT A TIME PLEASE and play them over blues backing tracks in the key of E. That will be FUN and will help you climb the ladder real fast.

Then read about what I-IV-V means (for instance, E-A-B) and 12 bar blues. Several cool videos about this on youtube. If you want me to, I can do a search and give you some directions. I'll be very happy if I can be of service, really. My email is smdantas@protonmail.com

Edit: and please don't be afraid of the major pentatonic, the shapes are EXACTLY the same, they just work in a different order.

And if any of the concepts I'm talking about aren't clear, maybe it's because my English is bad and rusty. The other fellows here are free to correct me, you too!
    Last edited by S. Cane; 05-03-2022 at 05:02 PM.

The guitar is a fascinating instrument. I learned music on piano, so the guitar presented new challenges to me when I discovered you could play the exact same note on different strings in different locations on the fretboard. Someone invented the CAGED system, named for the major movable chord shapes: C, A, G, E, D. Since they are movable, it's also possible to play a five-note scale (hence the term pentatonic) in any key, moving up and down the fingerboard. There are five "boxes" one can use to play pentatonic notes, and moving from one box to another adds breadth and depth to one's playing. Here's one of the many diagrams that show this.

So if all those patterns are A pentatonic, then what would the shape do if you cant use it for other root notes? I'm trying to learn

There are several ways to learn scales. One of them is to learn "shapes" or "boxes", i.e. to learn how the scale fits into patterns. Picking up these diagrams and memorizing them isn't the best way to learn how to solo and improvise on the guitar, you gotta know at least the basics about intervals and a handful of other concepts but this will definitely get a beginner playing pretty fast, before he learns the more complex things.

If you start from the root note on the low E string of your guitar, for instance, this is your E Minor Pentatonic in 5 "boxes":

About 70% of what blues guitar soloing is all about is made of these shapes.
    I've been practicing daily for over a year. I've been trying to learn stuff. I dont seem to retain it. And I really dont grasp how it works in relation. Except the 145 shape on the first 3 strings. But this is a great topic.
    Sadly I started playing in 2000. It's been very sporadic. I've went years without playing. But last year I went nutts and bought alot of stuff.

You can't eat an elephant in one sitting. You eat it bite by bite. Don't worry too much about the mental part. Work on getting the muscle memory in your fingers, first.
    Striving to be ordinary

You can't eat an elephant in one sitting. You eat it bite by bite. Don't worry too much about the mental part. Work on getting the muscle memory in your fingers, first.
    Do play in boxes to get your fingers' strength, dexterity, coordination (and calluses) built up. The one scale I would recommend for any newbie to get cold under their fingers is the C aka C Major scale. Know where these 7 notes are everywhere on your fretboard. Start at first position. Get so you can play up and down the scale across the open strings and first 3 frets without thinking. After you get that, for a low low price of only 350 dollars, I'll tell you the secret to the next position, LOL.

I might suggest doing scale practices unplugged, for the sakes of those around you Lucky for them you aren't playing the trumpet or saxophone
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Unfortunately I started in 2000. I'm a hard case

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    Do play in boxes to get your fingers' strength, dexterity, coordination (and calluses) built up. The one scale I would recommend for any newbie to get cold under their fingers is the C aka C Major scale. Know where these 7 notes are everywhere on your fretboard. Start at first position. Get so you can play up and down the scale across the open strings and first 3 frets without thinking. After you get that, for a low low price of only 350 dollars, I'll tell you the secret to the next position, LOL.

I might suggest doing scale practices unplugged, for the sakes of those around you Lucky for them you aren't playing the trumpet or saxophone
    I own a trumpet 🎺 😌. I started back in 2000 but lost interest after a solid year or 2 or noodling around. Today I do the same thing. I've been playing on average a hour a day for over a year now. Just noodling.
    I have a variety of guitars and amps. I should start my own thread. But basically I have a scale I memorized but I don't even know what it is. Might be c major actually. I can move the shape around .
    I have no idea what I'm doing. I need to understand what I am doing and why it works.

I have no idea now what scale this is but I memorized what I copied..probably wrong

Like an old Zen master once said, “empty your cup” (put aside all you’ve learned so far) and start over by learning this:

Meanwhile, read about what 12 bar blues and I-IV-V mean.

IMHO this will make you start understanding and being able to start playing the Blues, which is the heart of the electric guitar.

Like an old Zen master once said, “empty your cup” (put aside all you’ve learned so far) and start over by learning this:

Meanwhile, read about what 12 bar blues and I-IV-V mean.

IMHO this will make you start understanding and being able to start playing the Blues, which is the heart of the electric guitar.
    I will try that . Pretty easy since I can't remember crap lol.
    Any idea what scale that is I wrote down? It was supposed to be c major but it's missing notes. I saw it somewhere and liked how it sounded so I copied it down

I will try that . Pretty easy since I can't remember crap lol.
    Any idea what scale that is I wrote down? It was supposed to be c major but it's missing notes. I saw it somewhere and liked how it sounded so I copied it down

Ionian C major scale. It’s not missing notes, it goes from C to the higher octave C. You can go on and play further up or down but those are the notes. That’s the diatonic C major scale.

Ionian C major scale. It’s not missing notes, it goes from C to the higher octave C. You can go on and play further up or down but those are the notes. That’s the diatonic C major scale.
    Cool so now I know. I was following some information online

Exactly. But for a beginner, it's better to stick to the minor pentatonic at first. Even the minor/major relationship might be confusing at first sight.

Grimmy, just figure out those shapes, ONE AT A TIME PLEASE and play them over blues backing tracks in the key of E. That will be FUN and will help you climb the ladder real fast.

Then read about what I-IV-V means (for instance, E-A-B) and 12 bar blues. Several cool videos about this on youtube. If you want me to, I can do a search and give you some directions. I'll be very happy if I can be of service, really. My email is smdantas@protonmail.com

Edit: and please don't be afraid of the major pentatonic, the shapes are EXACTLY the same, they just work in a different order.

And if any of the concepts I'm talking about aren't clear, maybe it's because my English is bad and rusty. The other fellows here are free to correct me, you too!

Sugarcane...thank you!!!! Playing scales are a mystery, until someone explains what to do with them.
    Thank a Veteran

Ah yes, the minor pentatonic, the destructor of melodies. Why? Once you learn barre chords it falls so naturally under your fingers and you can play bluesey solos like SRV or Jimi all day long. Little Wing becomes child's play.

But - it's an easy crutch and it's the main reason you'll read guitar players saying their playing has plateaued or that they are in a rut. Or worse, they try to play classic rock using it.

It's a great tool, but it's a single tool. You can use a pair of pliers to turn a nut in pinch, but a box-end wrench is a whole lot easier and usually yields better results.

I will always first recommend taking lessons from a competent instructor. That is without a doubt the easiest and most direct path to becoming a decent player. Being self-taught isn't impossible, but unlearning the bad habits you'll develop can take decades as you progress, best to nip them in the bud and that's what an instructor does.

Also, all the scales in the world won't do you jack unless you understand intervals and how they relate to underlying chords. Again, a good instructor will unlock that for you. Lot's - probably most - amateur guitar players have an innate aversion to learning theory and will go to lengths to defend not learning it. If anybody ever tells you that not knowing theory makes them a better player you may want to take what they say with a grain of salt. Not saying you can't learn anything from them - you can learn something from everyone - but let me put it to you like this: Very few people have the tools and training to fly a jet, but practically anybody you meet will gladly tell you all about it. (Trust me on that one, lol!)

Boxes are useful tools, I use them sometimes, but only when the situation calls for it.

It really all comes down to your personal goals. If you just want to pick up a guitar and make joyful noise playing blues licks (and there is NOTHING wrong with that!) then go for it with the boxes. If you want to pursue other styles, such as rock, jazz, country, jam, etc., start with the major scales and learn chord theory. Once you understand the chords and intervals then you can learn tricks like modes to slide in and out of chord changes and make your playing personal and interesting.

But I reiterate, the FASTEST way to becoming competent is to have a great instructor. Even Tiger Woods takes golf lessons. You'd be surprised at how even at the top level of musicianship there is teaching and learning continually going on.

Next, forget about the "tone" pitfall. That will come naturally as you learn the craft. You can't buy it and you can't build it. It's in the hands and the ears and how you interact with the sound coming out of your rig.

The good news is the journey is fun and never ending. It is truly a Long, Strange Trip and you'll enjoy the heck out of it and you have a good bunch here to help you along the way.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Ah yes, the minor pentatonic, the destructor of melodies. Why? Once you learn barre chords it falls so naturally under your fingers and you can play bluesey solos like SRV or Jimi all day long. Little Wing becomes child's play.

But - it's an easy crutch and it's the main reason you'll read guitar players saying their playing has plateaued or that they are in a rut. Or worse, they try to play classic rock using it.

It's a great tool, but it's a single tool. You can use a pair of pliers to turn a nut in pinch, but a box-end wrench is a whole lot easier and usually yields better results.

I will always first recommend taking lessons from a competent instructor. That is without a doubt the easiest and most direct path to becoming a decent player. Being self-taught isn't impossible, but unlearning the bad habits you'll develop can take decades as you progress, best to nip them in the bud and that's what an instructor does.

Also, all the scales in the world won't do you jack unless you understand intervals and how they relate to underlying chords. Again, a good instructor will unlock that for you. Lot's - probably most - amateur guitar players have an innate aversion to learning theory and will go to lengths to defend not learning it. If anybody ever tells you that not knowing theory makes them a better player you may want to take what they say with a grain of salt. Not saying you can't learn anything from them - you can learn something from everyone - but let me put it to you like this: Very few people have the tools and training to fly a jet, but practically anybody you meet will gladly tell you all about it. (Trust me on that one, lol!)

Boxes are useful tools, I use them sometimes, but only when the situation calls for it.

It really all comes down to your personal goals. If you just want to pick up a guitar and make joyful noise playing blues licks (and there is NOTHING wrong with that!) then go for it with the boxes. If you want to pursue other styles, such as rock, jazz, country, jam, etc., start with the major scales and learn chord theory. Once you understand the chords and intervals then you can learn tricks like modes to slide in and out of chord changes and make your playing personal and interesting.

But I reiterate, the FASTEST way to becoming competent is to have a great instructor. Even Tiger Woods takes golf lessons. You'd be surprised at how even at the top level of musicianship there is teaching and learning continually going on.

Next, forget about the "tone" pitfall. That will come naturally as you learn the craft. You can't buy it and you can't build it. It's in the hands and the ears and how you interact with the sound coming out of your rig.

The good news is the journey is fun and never ending. It is truly a Long, Strange Trip and you'll enjoy the heck out of it and you have a good bunch here to help you along the way.

Chuck
    Great advice...thank you for posting it!!
    Thank a Veteran

At my age I have a miserable time trying to "unlearn" the bad habits I acquired early on.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Chuck

very true.

All I said before is meant to be a shortcut for beginners to start actually playing WHILE THEY LEARN ON AND ON ALONG THE WAY.

I only disagree on the minor penta being a melody destructor… IMHO it is what it is: a minor scale. Being essentially the same as it’s relative major, even guys like Jerry Garcia used it a lot with outstanding melodic results…

very true.

All I said before is meant to be a shortcut for beginners to start actually playing WHILE THEY LEARN ON AND ON ALONG THE WAY.

I only disagree on the minor penta being a melody destructor… IMHO it is what it is: a minor scale. Being essentially the same as it’s relative major, even guys like Jerry Garcia used it a lot with outstanding melodic results…
    Not true. the Minor pentatonic has no 2 or b6 notes so it is not the same scale by a long shot. Like I said, destructor of melodies. The 2 is the sauce on the taco. Jerry rarely used the minor pentatonic, he was based in bluegrass. Jerry played modally.
    Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Not true. the Minor pentatonic has no 2 or b6 notes so it is not the same scale by a long shot. Like I said, destructor of melodies. The 2 is the sauce on the taco. Jerry rarely used the minor pentatonic, he was based in bluegrass. Jerry played modally.
    Chuck
    I meant the relative major PENTATONIC, not the major scale. Not having the 2 an 6 notes is exactly what makes it a pentatonic, not a heptatonic scale. Jerry used the major pentatonic with chromatic passing tones a lot (e.g. his solo on Me and my uncle).

Btw this debate is fun. I'm gonna talk further about this on the "Dead and pentatonics" thread here in the Woodshed (the one you posted the video). This might get a bit too complex for our new members.

Well, when the only tool you have is a hammer every problem looks like a nail.

I can describe any melody every played or song as a pentatonic with accidentals and be technically correct, but that explains nothing worth using to anyone and will result in some pretty ungainly fingering.

Learning to incorporate the II into your playing is important to add emotion. It's a melancholy sound without locking you into a minor key. Moreso, songs that start on the II chord have a distinct vibe and trying to use a pentatonic on them will generally result in issues.

Forget boxes, understand chords and intervals. Best thing a guitar player can do IMHO is learn piano since it forces the player to think in intervals and chord tones.

Chuck

It's a strange world. I've recently seen two "teachers", both told me if I switched to playing right handed they would take me on as student. One even said he was accustom to working with students who new how to play.

This was supposed to be fun, and I try to keep it that way but there are days when I think I'll just play the radio.

Thanks to all the advice you guys have posted.....It's keeping me in the game!!!!
    Thank a Veteran

It's a strange world. I've recently seen two "teachers", both told me if I switched to playing right handed they would take me on as student. One even said he was accustom to working with students who new how to play.

This was supposed to be fun, and I try to keep it that way but there are days when I think I'll just play the radio.

Thanks to all the advice you guys have posted.....It's keeping me in the game!!!!
    I'd say keep looking. that's not right wanting you to switch - though I can see if there's someone who specializes in people knowing the basics.
    |But personally, while I've never been a teacher, having jammed with a million people over the years, it's easier for me to play with someone if I'm mirroring what they're doing - that is, playing with a lefty, since I;m a righty.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

The first one sure ain’t no teacher, the second might not be a beginner’s instructor. If you want lessons, keep searching.