Thread: Deluxe Reverb II - 80's Rivera - Tube question-- Reverb??

Deluxe Reverb II - 80's Rivera - Tube question-- Reverb??

Hi all!!

Hope this is easy one... My reverb channel is not working on the amp. As above.. Early 80's Rivera black face Deluxe Reverb II.

i can see the tube diagram (i'm guessing and hoping its just a bad tube), but i can't tell which 2 are the reverb send/recieve. I saw a chart online for another fender amp but it was'nt the exact same as mine. ... '

I've looked through the forum and found tube info but not specifically which tubes are for reverb.

I have a good buyer for it who is coming on Friday, I can get tubes here but just don't want to guess or overspend...
    They might still buy it and just replace tubes but that doesn't seem fair to him and i don't want him to bring it back..

Thanks in advance if anyone knows answer!!

kaitlyn

Re: Deluxe Reverb II - 80's Rivera - Tube question-- Reverb??

did you check the reverb send and return cables, make sure the plugs are seated and no loose wires?
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Re: Deluxe Reverb II - 80's Rivera - Tube question-- Reverb??

Looking at the Deluxe Reverb II schematic, V3 (12AT7) is used for the reverb send, and V4b (1/2 of the 7025 (12ax7)) is used for the reverb return. After checking the cables as suggested earlier, examine the V3 tube to make sure it hasn't lost it's vacuum. If it's a cloudy white on the inside, that would indicate a crack in the tube and lost vacuum. If you have any old 12AX7 tubes lying around or in other amps, try one first in V3 and then V4. Even though a 12AT7 should be used in V3, a 12AX7 will work as far as testing (although the reverb may be way too strong since a 12AX7 tube has more gain than a 12AT7).

Also check the reverb cables where they connect to the reverb tank. With the reverb turned on and the amp at moderate volume, if you lift up the amp about 1/4 inch on one end and gently "drop" it, and if you hear a racket of reverberation, that would most likely rule out a problem with the reverb return. You can also unscrew the reverb tank from the case and gently shake it around to test this.

You could also ask the buyer to bring along any 12AT7's or 12AX7's he/she may have lying around and test those in the amp.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top