Thread: Players Plus Telecaster

Forum Member

Players Plus Telecaster

Good Day folks. One of the reasons I joined today was to get opinions on the new Player Plus Telecasters, made in MX.
    Now I do own an American Standard Strat and a couple US made Gibsons and acoustics so usually when I pick most of the imports they just don't feel as good to me but I was checking out a new Player Plus Tele today and it seemed like a pretty nice guitar. It has the locking tuners and noiseless pick-ups and the contoured body like a Strat, witch I like. It was $1099 with a bag.
    Unfortunately I didn't have time to plug it in or play it much but I may go back and do that tomorrow. I guess my main question is if there is a difference in the quality of the pick-ups and hardware on the imports these days or is it all the same?
    Now at the same time there is an American Deluxe locally on craigslist for $1400 that has a hard case and all the papers. From what I can see in the pictures it's in nice shape with a couple of chips down to wood around the edges.
    Ether way I think it's inevitable that there is going to be a Telecaster in the heard hear sometime soon, I just can't decide witch one.

Thanks for any input
    Rick

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Players Plus Telecaster

I can't speak of the Telecaster directly but all of the Ensenada-made Strats I've played and owned were pretty nice, requiring only a few upgrades to render then "professional" grade. Play a few and draw your own conclusions.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

I recall the old joke, "what's the difference between a USA, and a MIM Fender"?
    About 90 miles!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    I recall the old joke, "what's the difference between a USA, and a MIM Fender"?
    About 90 miles!
    That's hilarious and true in many ways.

I put a Player body on a 94 AmStd Strat, and it's become my favorite of the 5 Strats I've owned.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

I ended up getting a Jimmy Page mirror Telecaster , it's pretty much a '59 re-issue with the top loading bridge. Guitar Center in California described it as being excellent condition with hard case and only one strait on picture. I took a chance on it and was happy to see it was the original case with all of the papers and accessories, cable, mirrors and strap.
    It's really different for me after playing the strat and Les Paul's but it is a very nice guitar. Nice dark rosewood fingerboard almost looks like ebony.
    In the picture of the ad, someone had put one of the mirrors on the upper body but some eager sales person must have decided to take it off and put it in the bag with the other 7 new ones but the only problem is the about 3/8ths of an inch round chunk of the finish came off with it. That is really the only imperfection or damage on the whole guitar. I didn't like looking at it so I just put that mirror back on. I don't know how many of these were made but the serial number on this one is 00105,

For anyone not familiar with these, it is the USA made model from 2019.
    https://www.fender.com/en-US/electri...119210801.html
    Last edited by RedStrat; 03-16-2022 at 03:50 AM.

excellent choice, I've been wanting one of those since they were announced. I'm a Tele fan, albeit late to the game, much to my loss. Sorry about the finish coming up with the mirror. Maybe you could get a partial refund? But now that you put it back on, I wouldn't try taking it off again. If you took a picture (*cough*ahem*cough*) of the damage, you could send it to them and say it wasn't as described. But it's probably now a can of worms better left unopened.

BTW - what a weird colloquialism, can of worms. Who cans worms? But I digress

So, speaking of pictures, probably by now you know you are bound by law, immutable and irrefutably, to post pictures of your new guitar
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

Yea I probably could have raised hell with customer service but I'm really not that particular and like I said the rest of the guitar is pristine and it looks kind of cool with the mirror on it
    At least I won't have to go to the men's room to make sure there is nothing hanging out of my nose, just tilt the guitar up a little.
    On a serious note, an old friend of mine used to finish guitars for PRS and has since opened his own shop doing restorations so if it ever gets to bothering me, I'm sure he could fix it.
    Or off course I could just strip it down and paint some dragons or something on it........but wait, I think that idea has already been taken.
    Last edited by RedStrat; 03-12-2022 at 04:01 PM.

Forum Member

Oh for got the photo, with my Red Strat.

"Live and learn and flip the burns"