Thread: Orangewood Guitars

Orangewood Guitars

I realize this is exactly 180° from what this forum is meant for, but I tried looking in more "appropriate" forums and the signal-to-noise ratio there was extremely low. I figure if nothing else, we could get a discussion going, and maybe all learn a thing or two.

Orangewood Guitars is a maker of acoustic guitars based in California. They only sell direct to the public via the web. This is a deal-killer for those who absolutely must get their hands on a guitar before parting with their money, but the price range of their guitars make them quite attractive. Maybe not as a primary guitar (but that could also be a bias on my part), but certainly as a "replaceable" guitar should it come to that.

My interest (and my GAS) was sparked by some glowing comments I read about their "parlor" size guitar. They call it the Dana (all their guitars have human-ish names). In particular, the
    Dana Mahogany.

This is $135US shipped (only to the USA). Comes with Ernie Ball strings, a pickguard (self-applicable), bone nut and saddle and a gig bag. NOTE: If the pickguard is applied, the guitar is non-returnable. The wood is "layered mahogany," which I assume means a laminate.

What's key to me is that it's a 14-fret guitar. I have a Gretsch G9500 "Jim Dandy" that I think is a terrific guitar, given its size, but it's only 12 frets, and I find myself hampered by this at times. Given the rise in prices, the Dana is now actually about $50 cheaper than the Gretsch. And it includes a gig bag!

Each Orangewood guitar is given a proper setup before it's shipped to the customer. The Dana is among the smallest and cheapest (their most expensive runs about $1195). The Oliver Jr. runs about $90 more, but it's a solid top, not layered. I've heard it compares favorably to Taylor's GS Mini (of which I also own one).

So, what do you think? $135 isn't going to break my bank, but I don't really need another guitar. In fact, I'm running out of room for them! And I have a custom-made guitar coming "real soon now," as the software guys used to promise.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Orangewood Guitars

at that price I might be tempted to try one
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

TFF Stage Crew

I searched the site & couldn't find any info on where they are manufactured. You'd think they would tout the fact that they are a domestic product if they were actually built in the USA

I read somewhere that the components are made in China, but assembly and setup takes place in California.

The company was started by two Korean brothers, Eddie and Sooj Park, who moved to California in 2004.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!