Thread: Thought I was going to lose my mind today

Thought I was going to lose my mind today

that tends to happen on days ending with a "y".

I'm trying to set up the 2014 60th anniversary Squier gold strat today. I put a new .016 G string on it, set the bridge for 1/8" floating. Then I tried to adjust the relief.

5mm hex wrench, nothing. Didn't bite at all. WTF? Look at the truss rod nut. It doesn't look chewed but it didn't look hexagonal either. Had to dig in the basement for all my other hex wrenches. An hour lost there.

Nothing seemed to fit. The few times I managed to get a 5mm wrench to bite, the strings and tuners got in the way, I mean seriously conflicting with my attempt to engage the TRN. In desperation, I loosened the G and D strings, nope. Tuners still in the way. Took the neck off but tried to salvage the strings, they're still brand new. Took the D and G tuners off. Finally engaged the nut. Put it all back together, to see that it didn't budge at all. Another hour gone. But at least this time I was able to engage the nut, about 50% of the tries. After about 90 minutes, I finally got the relief down to just under .010, it had been over .025. Phew.

Now I set the bridge again and am working on the action. But other things are calling my attention and I'm going to be out of sunlight to work by so I'll have to continue tomorrow. I just can't seem to get enough light even with 5 lamps in the room and my illuminated loupe magnifier.

I was this >< close to having a guitar bonfire. Not saying it can't or won't happen yet. This guitar is lucky I don't have an armament like Old Ranger or it might have gotten some weight relief holes.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Thought I was going to lose my mind today

Was it like a "Pete Townsend" moment?

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Was it like a "Pete Townsend" moment?

It was close

OMG - I think that's an actual picture of one of the 8x12s Marshall made (6 of them, 2 to Pete, 2 to Ox and nobody knows where the other 2 are). The roadies rebelled about schlepping them so they were cut down into 4x12s. I've seen pics of them after they were cut. The tops were open back and the bottom was closed. I don't know if there was a board between the sections like the SVT fridge cabs.

Who is "ox"? I never got why audiences liked to see musicians destroy their equipment. That looks like fake smoke coming from the back of the speaker cabinet.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

"The Ox" is John Entwistle, arguably the loudest bassist ever.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I saw the Who in 1969, when they were still known for this kind of onstage behavior (incidentally, the opening act was Led Zeppelin!). The ending song, in which the destruction took place, was My Generation. I noticed that Pete Townshend switched from the guitar he was playing all night to another, which he hadn't played all night. This was the one that got the beat up. Probably a dime store Strat...
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I saw the Who in 1969, when they were still known for this kind of onstage behavior (incidentally, the opening act was Led Zeppelin!). The ending song, in which the destruction took place, was My Generation. I noticed that Pete Townshend switched from the guitar he was playing all night to another, which he hadn't played all night. This was the one that got the beat up. Probably a dime store Strat...
    I've read that the roadies would glue parts back together for the finale guitar smash

Forum Member

Back in our R&R days, our guitar player "broke" a few cheap guitars, and did a lot of silly things to get attention. Flash powder set off on both PA stacks with an opening power chord, home made smoke machine, (dry ice, and hot water), and of course lights.
    I picked up a cheap 4-12 combo and gutted it, put screen over the speaker holes, and a strobe and a red light light inside. I lined the cab so a small charge of flash powder wouldn't set it on fire. When playing a new venue sometime around the second or third set, we would turn on the fog machine, and switch the lights on, then switch the flash powder. Joe would punch in a really cheesy dirt box, and we would finish the tune with smoke pouring out with a flashing red glow. We would take a break, and haul the "amp" away talking about how it was "the second amp this month!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Back in our R&R days, our guitar player "broke" a few cheap guitars, and did a lot of silly things to get attention. Flash powder set off on both PA stacks with an opening power chord, home made smoke machine, (dry ice, and hot water), and of course lights.
    I picked up a cheap 4-12 combo and gutted it, put screen over the speaker holes, and a strobe and a red light light inside. I lined the cab so a small charge of flash powder wouldn't set it on fire. When playing a new venue sometime around the second or third set, we would turn on the fog machine, and switch the lights on, then switch the flash powder. Joe would punch in a really cheesy dirt box, and we would finish the tune with smoke pouring out with a flashing red glow. We would take a break, and haul the "amp" away talking about how it was "the second amp this month!"
    Love it