Thread: Victoria 35310 combo

Victoria 35310 combo

I got to play one of these finally, and was suitably impressed. Not sure if I want to spend that much on a used amp at this time. I could get a nice brand new Marshall flavor amp for a couple bills more. Also found out that GC has a JCM2000 DSL 401 at a Columbus store. I had one before, loved it. Only got rid of it after it wasn't the same anymore following a repair job on a busted treble control pot. It would be about a third of the price of the Victoria and get me back into the Marshall camp again.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Re: Victoria 35310 combo

That's an interesting amp. You don't see many 3 x 10" configurations. I assume it's a clone of an early Fender Bandmaster?
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    That's an interesting amp. You don't see many 3 x 10" configurations. I assume it's a clone of an early Fender Bandmaster?
    +1

Victoria's spec sheet does mention it's their take on Leo's 5E7 circuit......

https://victoriaamp.com/product/model-35310/
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

It looks like Victoria modernized the 5E7 Circuit, by adding "adjustable fixed bias" per their spec sheet. The original 5E7 circuit derived it's negative bias using a selenium rectifier and some resistors, but no bias pot that I can see on the schematic.

Someone has a kit built "bandmaster" for sale on Reverb for $975. With Weber alnico blue speakers.

Edit: It was listed 7 months ago, and has been sold.
    Last edited by Michael Smith; 02-11-2022 at 04:29 PM.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

The original 5E7 circuit derived it's negative bias using a selenium rectifier and some resistors...
    It's an olfactory treat when one of those selenium rectifiers lets go.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    It's an olfactory treat when one of those selenium rectifiers lets go.

Ha ha. I had a similar experience last year when a cap blew in my Super Twin Reverb. I haven't studied the schematic enough to know what it's function is, but the schematic has given me a headache and must be viewed in small doses.

Definitely failed the "smoke test"!

Hmmm, neither Mojotone or Stewmac has a Bandmaster clone kit, but Marsh Amplification does. I have been thinking of building an amp from a kit, but don't know if this would be a good one to start with. The schematic doesn't look all that complicated, compared to amps with reverb and tremolo.

You might try a 5E3 Deluxe. It's less complex than a Bandmaster, Bassman, or Pro but more useful than a Champ or Princeton. That's the route I took.

I already have a Deluxe and Champ. I guess I am intrigued by the 3 x 10 configuration of the Bandmaster. What I really would like to do is completely gut my Super Twin Reverb and build a lower power Twin Reverb, assuming the huge power transformer and output transformer would be suitable. I don't think the Super Twin Reverb is worth much, and someone has already messed around with the circuit. For now, that's probably beyond my ability, but I continue to study the schematics for AB763 circuits.

The tweed 5E7's circuit has very little in common with an AB763 Bandmaster. However, if it's the 3 x 10 speaker configuration that so enamors you why not find a stock Bandmaster chassis (blackface or silverface) and wrap it in a suitable combo cab that will accommodate a trio of Jensen C10Q's? I'm guessing it'd sound pretty tasty......

I went back today with one of my guitars. I like the amp but they only offered 6 month financing. It's just too much to add to my debt right now. I don't want to trade anything as they were quite upfront and honest saying they would only give 50% of what they would tag it for sale.

I'm not saying it won't happen, yet it's probably unlikely. I'd rather sell stuff and get the money than lose 50%. I googled '1969 Princeton Amp' to see what the asking prices were for the non-reverb Princeton I have. I was shocked. Maybe they're not selling for that much but the asking prices are 3 times and more, some cases a lot more than what I paid for the amp 8 years ago. Besides, I like this amp and would rather keep it.

It will be another case of 'could have, would have, should have' but life will go on, the sun will rise in the west and the moon will crash into the ocean. Situation normal all fluffed up
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    The tweed 5E7's circuit has very little in common with an AB763 Bandmaster. However, if it's the 3 x 10 speaker configuration that so enamors you why not find a stock Bandmaster chassis (blackface or silverface) and wrap it in a suitable combo cab that will accommodate a trio of Jensen C10Q's? I'm guessing it'd sound pretty tasty......
    Sorry for the confusion Phantomman, I was talking about 2 different things I would like to do. Build a kit amp from scratch, and also re-work my Super Twin Reverb into a AB763 circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I went back today with one of my guitars. I like the amp but they only offered 6 month financing. It's just too much to add to my debt right now. I don't want to trade anything as they were quite upfront and honest saying they would only give 50% of what they would tag it for sale.

I'm not saying it won't happen, yet it's probably unlikely. I'd rather sell stuff and get the money than lose 50%. I googled '1969 Princeton Amp' to see what the asking prices were for the non-reverb Princeton I have. I was shocked. Maybe they're not selling for that much but the asking prices are 3 times and more, some cases a lot more than what I paid for the amp 8 years ago. Besides, I like this amp and would rather keep it.

It will be another case of 'could have, would have, should have' but life will go on, the sun will rise in the west and the moon will crash into the ocean. Situation normal all fluffed up
    Check the "price history" feature on Reverb for the amp you have. I believe it tracks the actual selling price for amps that people have listed on their site. You may want to put a range of a few years for the amp, so you will get a better sample size.

Sorry for the confusion Phantomman, I was talking about 2 different things I would like to do. Build a kit amp from scratch, and also re-work my Super Twin Reverb into a AB763 circuit.
    That Super Twin Reverb's iron is stout enough to power two amps......mebbe three!