Thread: 2014 Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat Advice/Opinions

Forum Member

2014 Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat Advice/Opinions

Hello all.

My first post on this site.
    I’m a beginner, and am considering a couple of options for a first guitar. I have found a nice 2014 Hellcat for sale. I know what I have from the nice Fender folks who provided a spec sheet, and have played the instrument. I find it very cool and comfortable solid mahogany-top guitar. I’m also considering a new CD60S dreadnought or CC60S concertas an option.
    Any impressions and/opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for reading.

regards,
    Sean

The guitar was built in 2015 and has the following specs :

top : solid cedar
    back and sides : laminated wild cherry
    bracing : spruce
    neck : maple
    bridge : rosewood
    fingerboard : rosewood
    fingerboard radius : 16"
    scale : 24.84"
    nut width : 1.72"
    nut material : Tusq
    saddle material : Tusq

upper bout width : 11.59"
    lower bout width : 16"
    waist : 9.53"
    body length : 20"
    body depth : 4.5"
    Last edited by Sean; 02-09-2022 at 06:10 PM.

Re: 2014 Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat Advice/Opinions

Welcome to the forum, Sean! I don't have any experience with that particular guitar, but I'm playing more acoustic guitar these days, and I do have some opinions.

For a first guitar, I applaud your choice of a guitar that lists for under $500. I own acoustics that go for as low as $150 to over $1,500. The two I like the best (my "go to" guitars) are smaller bodied, as is the Hellcat. They run in the $700-$800 range, though. I don't go for the "beat up" relic or retro look, but that's a personal choice. It doesn't affect the sound or playability of the guitar.

The two things I don't like about the Hellcat are the laminated sides and back, and the plastic saddle and nut. But that's expected on a guitar in that price range, so it's not really a negative. And you can replace them later with Tusq or bone later, if you wish.

The bottom line for me is always "How does it feel, play and sound?" You said you found it very cool and comfortable. Those are very important considerations. One of my favorite acoustics is my little $149 Gretsch Jim Dandy. You didn't say how much the Hellcat was selling for, and what your budget is, so my nits about laminate and plastic are mostly inconsequential if the guitar just "feels right."

Besides, your first guitar is just the beginning. If you're like many of us, it will just be the start of GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome).
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

OldStrummer

Thanks for the input. I learn something from everyone I speak to about this. I expect an Asian-built laminated back/side instrument is in my future.
    Fender tells me the hellcat of 2014 does have a tusc nut/saddle. I’ll double-check. I knew going in this purchase was going to be full of compromise with my $200-300 budget. O do like the feel of the hellcat. I’ve heard/read that Fender guitars in my range have “recently” become more comparable with other mainstream manufacturers in quality. But, I’m not really sure what “recent” means. So, for about the same $, I can grab the Hellcat; or go have a look today at the somewhat similar brand new Fender CC60S (concert-Body, solid mahogany-top, plastic nut/saddle w/o electronic), and get a bag & 3 months of Fender online lessons.
    Any thought from the group would be appreciated. I may be starting to overthink this.

Thanks all
    Sean

I guess my time on the site today coincides with yours. I certainly wouldn't want you to go on simply my opinion. Except for this:

If the guitar feels good, plays good, and sounds good, and is affordable -- TO YOU -- then don't listen to what other people say.

For the record, I've considered purchasing a Fender acoustic, but I always get sidetracked at the guitar shop and wind up walking away with something else.

Given your experience and budget, I think you'd do well with one.
    Striving to be ordinary

Sean, I don't know if you'll see this in time, or even if you'll find it interesting, but Musician's Friend's Stupid Deal of the Day is a Fender CD-60SCE All-Mahogany Limited Edition Acoustic-Electric Guitar for a mere $249.99. It has a cutaway (which I like) and the mahogany promises to give it a lovely, warm tone. Heck, I'd be tempted to pick one up if I had room for yet another guitar!

Striving to be ordinary

The Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat sounds like a sweet choice with that solid cedar top and mahogany comfort. It's all about finding the one that resonates with you – playability, comfort, and that vibe that just clicks. Both the Hellcat and the CD60S/CC60S options have their unique charm, so it's about what feels right in your hands. If you're ever looking to add a bit of personal touch to your guitar, check out these cool Gibson SG knobs at https://ironageaccessories.com/blogs...nobs-explained. Enjoy the journey and keep strumming those good vibes!
    Last edited by Chisililltan; 08-18-2023 at 03:52 AM.