Thread: Fender hot rod deville problem

Fender hot rod deville problem

Hi all,

My Hot rod deville 212 IV started having problems yesterday. I will be playing with master volume on 1, volume on 1, directly plugged into amp with my guitar.

Yesterday it started making loud popping noises, and now within a minute or two of switching it on, the volume shoots up immediately to maximum, so much I get hit by a pressure wave and my ears are ringing. The volume knob on the guitar doesn't seem to make any difference, it's just screeching at maximum volume. As you can imagine, my neighbours and girlfriend aren't overly impressed.

Any one else had this issue? I'm a bit disappointed, I've only had it 10 months and expected to be problem free with the price I paid for it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Fender hot rod deville problem

Did some more checking and the loud distorted sound happens now immediately upon switching the amp on, the guitar jack isn't even plugged into the amp and it's making a horrendous noise, but only if I use the clean channel, the distorted channel is working fine with no problems.

HI Mattboy, welcome to the Fender Forum. We've got some people here who know more than the folks at Fender, IMO, so stick around and someone will reply with very good advice. Take it.

I'm not an amp tweaker, so I can only agree with what you already know: The amp has a problem. It's likely a loose or broken connection. If you're handy with a soldering gun or with electronics, you might get the advice what to look for to fix it. If not, a visit to a repair shop seems called for. You said you've only had it ten months. Did you buy it new? There's a good chance it's under warranty, so I'd look into that.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

Lots of problems with the plastic input jacks on the current production Fenders. I was able to install a switchcraft on a Blues Jr. I had, don't expect any more problems.