Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Fender Bass ID Help

  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    3

    Fender Bass ID Help

    I bought a Fender precision bass from a lady whose father passed away.I am not sure what it is.The neck says Fender precision bass.But no serial number.The neck plate is from an American or MIM bass.ALL the electronics are correct for a MIM precision bass or American,CTS 250K pots,switchcraft jack, nice copper shielding,orange drop caps,Fender pickups.The neck and body dates are both 2002.Any help would be appreciated.My guess is the neck is not original,maybe?...the body looks to be 100% correct for some type of Fender bass.It plays amazing, sounds amazing.Just curious what I bought.Any help would be appreciated.I have a ton of pix but apparently for some reason cannot post any pix.Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Forum Member OldStrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,764

    Re: Fender Bass ID Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpio View Post
    It plays amazing, sounds amazing.Just curious what I bought.Any help would be appreciated.

    As long as you're happy with what you paid for it, I'd say you got a nice guitar! Without a serial number, I suspect (like you do) that it's a bit of a mongrel. But who cares? From a distance, no one will ever notice or care.

    (Some of the bass guys should be along with better observations than I).
    Striving to be ordinary

    Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

  3. #3
    Forum Member Michael Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Location
    Southeast Texas
    Posts
    687

    Re: Fender Bass ID Help

    You need to upload your photos to an image sharing site. (I use Imgur). Then click on the picture and hit the copy button. Then in the forum hit Ctrl + V to paste the link into the chat. Like this.

    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

  4. #4
    Forum Member BobbyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Texas Panhandle
    Posts
    95

    Re: Fender Bass ID Help

    Without pictures or more information, we're not likely to be much help. Here are some questions:

    What logo is on the headstock; i.e. silver spaghetti, gold transition, bold black, under the finish or decal on top?.

    What color is the body?

    Is it a maple neck or a rosewood neck?

    What pickguard is on it? Tortoise, white, black? How many screw holes in the pickguard? Are there screw holes in the pickguard for the pickup cover and/or finger rest?

    Is the neck plate blank or is there any logo or other imprint that makes you say it is USA or MIM??

    What tuners are on the neck? Reverse wind?

    Typical control layout? One volume, one tone? Input jack on pickguard or on side of body?

    What type of wire are on the pickups? Cloth, plastic?

    The answers to some of these questions can help us a lot. The fact that there is no visible serial number points to your guitar being a parts bass, as a serial number is either on the headstock or the neck plate.

    Hopefully we hear back from you. Try to post some pictures!
    Born in Fullerton, California in 1952

  5. #5
    Forum Member phantomman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona
    Posts
    7,155

    Re: Fender Bass ID Help

    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    Without pictures or more information, we're not likely to be much help. Here are some questions:

    What logo is on the headstock; i.e. silver spaghetti, gold transition, bold black, under the finish or decal on top?.

    What color is the body?

    Is it a maple neck or a rosewood neck?

    What pickguard is on it? Tortoise, white, black? How many screw holes in the pickguard? Are there screw holes in the pickguard for the pickup cover and/or finger rest?

    Is the neck plate blank or is there any logo or other imprint that makes you say it is USA or MIM??

    What tuners are on the neck? Reverse wind?

    Typical control layout? One volume, one tone? Input jack on pickguard or on side of body?

    What type of wire are on the pickups? Cloth, plastic?

    The answers to some of these questions can help us a lot. The fact that there is no visible serial number points to your guitar being a parts bass, as a serial number is either on the headstock or the neck plate.

    Hopefully we hear back from you. Try to post some pictures!
    This should be a sticky!
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    8

    Re: Fender Bass ID Help

    Hi,

    I was wondering if anyone can help me id this Fender Jazz Bass guitar. I want to refurbish it to give it to my daughter and I need to buy the missing parts. Here is a link to some pictures.

    https://imgur.com/a/SjolgtQ

    Thank you in advance.
    Judd

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    8

    Re: Fender Bass ID Help

    Hi,

    Me again. Iíve been looking at Fender Jazz bass guitar pictures but I canít seem to find one with this style pickup. Please see picture here:

    https://imgur.com/a/AWafMcF

    Thank you in advance.
    Judd

  8. #8
    Forum Member DanTheBluesMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    4,673

    Re: Fender Bass ID Help

    dude, I mean this in all kindness. Please turn on some freaking lights when you try to take pictures. These are like those Sasquatch pictures. I think there's something there, but I can't quite make it out.

    Trust me, it's not just you. I see this all the time in CL classifieds, etc. I'm sure we'll have lots of people more than willing to help you out and better pictures would be muy beneficial.

    I, for one, would love to see the pictures ... in better light. I'm an old coot, I don't have cat eyes for seeing in the dark anymore. Please, do them again. And welcome to the forum. You're an awesome dad to do this for your daughter.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    8

    Re: Fender Bass ID Help

    Sorry for the bad pictures. The guitar is in a different country right now and Iím having someone take pictures of it for me. If I canít get better pictures then I will just repost once I pick it up next month. It belonged to my brother who passed before he had a chance to finish refurbishing it. One thing I know is he purchased it while he was in Japan. I thought it would be a great remembrance of my brother who was a great musician. My daughter probably got her talent from him. She plays the bass guitar with gusto.

    Thanks for the reply.

    Judd

  10. #10
    Forum Member DanTheBluesMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    4,673

    Re: Fender Bass ID Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Sorry for the bad pictures. The guitar is in a different country right now and Iím having someone take pictures of it for me. If I canít get better pictures then I will just repost once I pick it up next month. It belonged to my brother who passed before he had a chance to finish refurbishing it. One thing I know is he purchased it while he was in Japan. I thought it would be a great remembrance of my brother who was a great musician. My daughter probably got her talent from him. She plays the bass guitar with gusto.

    Thanks for the reply.

    Judd
    ok, sorry about that. my condolences. I guess when the photographer isn't versed in instrument photography, they won't garner that kind of detail. I do hope you can get better pics so we can help you with the restoration. Good luck.

    PS: I was just doing my CL scan a few minutes ago, and lawdy, the terrible pictures people take. Sometimes I swear they're trying to hide defects or damage, LOL. It reminds me of when I tried to take pictures back before digital (yeah, I'm a dinosaur) and every picture cost real money and you never knew how they came out until after you put your cash down. That's why I have so few good pictures of my early days of gear.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    8

    Re: Fender Bass ID Help

    Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    ok, sorry about that. my condolences. I guess when the photographer isn't versed in instrument photography, they won't garner that kind of detail. I do hope you can get better pics so we can help you with the restoration. Good luck.

    PS: I was just doing my CL scan a few minutes ago, and lawdy, the terrible pictures people take. Sometimes I swear they're trying to hide defects or damage, LOL. It reminds me of when I tried to take pictures back before digital (yeah, I'm a dinosaur) and every picture cost real money and you never knew how they came out until after you put your cash down. That's why I have so few good pictures of my early days of gear.

    Hi DanTheBluedMan,

    I have not been able to pick up the guitar yet but hopefully these new pictures might help identify this guitar. I need to order some spare parts for it and Iíd like to keep it as original as possible. Please see the pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/F4y3nqP

    I hope you or someone can help me identify this model. Thank you in advance.

    Judd

  12. #12
    Forum Member Michael Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Location
    Southeast Texas
    Posts
    687

    Re: Fender Bass ID Help

    Do you have the serial number for the bass guitar? Fender has an online serial number lookup feature that "should" give you the place and year it was made.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    8

    Re: Fender Bass ID Help

    [QUOTE=Michael Smith;656215]Do you have the serial number for the bass guitar? Fender has an online serial number lookup feature that "should" give you the place and year it was made.

    Thanks Michael. Sorry but I donít know too much about guitars but where can I find the serial number ?

  14. #14
    Forum Member Michael Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Location
    Southeast Texas
    Posts
    687

    Re: Fender Bass ID Help

    Thanks Michael. Sorry but I donít know too much about guitars but where can I find the serial number ?[/QUOTE]

    On my 2 Fender guitars, the serial number is on the back of the headstock. Mine are from the late 90's and early 00's. I don't know if they always followed this practice on older guitars/basses. If you can find it and post it here, I can look it up.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    8

    Re: Fender Bass ID Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    Thanks Michael. Sorry but I donít know too much about guitars but where can I find the serial number ?
    On my 2 Fender guitars, the serial number is on the back of the headstock. Mine are from the late 90's and early 00's. I don't know if they always followed this practice on older guitars/basses. If you can find it and post it here, I can look it up.[/QUOTE]


    There is no serial number on the back of the headstock. I checked everywhere but could not find any numbers. I guess Iíll just have to wait until I have it in my hands and disassemble everything.

    Thank you for your time.

  16. #16
    Forum Member Michael Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Location
    Southeast Texas
    Posts
    687

    Re: Fender Bass ID Help

    On the American made Fenders, if you remove the neck from the body of the guitar, there should be a date stamped or written on the tail end of the neck. I'm not sure if that was done on Fenders produced in other countries. There should also be date codes on the potentiometers (volume and tone controls). When you get your hands on the bass, and can post some better photos, there are guys on this forum who know a lot more about dating instruments than me.

    Good Luck!
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    8

    Re: Fender Bass ID Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    On the American made Fenders, if you remove the neck from the body of the guitar, there should be a date stamped or written on the tail end of the neck. I'm not sure if that was done on Fenders produced in other countries. There should also be date codes on the potentiometers (volume and tone controls). When you get your hands on the bass, and can post some better photos, there are guys on this forum who know a lot more about dating instruments than me.

    Good Luck!
    I will do that. Thanks again!!

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    8

    Re: Fender Bass ID Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    On the American made Fenders, if you remove the neck from the body of the guitar, there should be a date stamped or written on the tail end of the neck. I'm not sure if that was done on Fenders produced in other countries. There should also be date codes on the potentiometers (volume and tone controls). When you get your hands on the bass, and can post some better photos, there are guys on this forum who know a lot more about dating instruments than me.

    Good Luck!
    Michael,

    We found these numbers. Not sure if this what you need:

    757?234296829
    DES 18700s

    yes, thereís a ? In the middle of the numbers.

    Thank you.
    Judd

  19. #19
    Forum Member Laker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    On da lakeshore in Wisconsinski
    Posts
    1,349

    Re: Fender Bass ID Help

    Judd, that bass has been but butchered quite a bit so hard to tell if it is indeed a Fender bass or just a Fender neck bolted to a “parts” body. I have an old Fender Jazz that I had a Fender decal applied to the Might-MiteMite neck so that could be another possibility for that bass. The serial number for older Fender basses is stamped in the plate that holds the neck to the body.
    It’s possible that with a bridge and strings it would play but you’d have to verify that the wiring is intact. Here’s a photo of the bridge setup. You could purchase an after market like Badass or several other after-market Fender parts suppliers.


  20. #20
    Forum Member phantomman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona
    Posts
    7,155

    Re: Fender Bass ID Help

    Love that reverse tuxedo neck, Laker!

    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

  21. #21
    Forum Member Michael Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Location
    Southeast Texas
    Posts
    687

    Re: Fender Bass ID Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Michael,

    We found these numbers. Not sure if this what you need:

    757?234296829
    DES 18700s

    yes, thereís a ? In the middle of the numbers.

    Thank you.
    Judd
    Neither of the 2 number codes resulted in any "hits" on the Fender official site or the Guitarinsite website. Where were these numbers located on the bass?
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •