Thread: Fender Basses, Ampeg Amp

Fender Basses, Ampeg Amp

I usually play through one of my Fender Rumbles, solid state amps that sound as good as any solid states out there. I plugged the Precision into my Ampeg V4-B. I haven't turned it on for serious playing in a while. It pleased me immensely, and I can understand why folks compliment my sound. There's no denying that tube amps are better for certain types of music I play.

The amp likes my Precision and two Jazz Basses a lot, and this morning, I plugged in my Höfner, and the Ampeg likes my Höfner just as much. Looking forward to dusting the amp off and let it do it's magic at a jam.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Fender Basses, Ampeg Amp

If you're going to start shaking the walls with your Ampeg I'd recommend sourcing some power tubes. The 7027A hasn't been manufactured in quite some time with the exception of some chicom bottles of questionable quality. You'll need a quartet for your V4B, a pair for a B25B. Both amps are sturdy platforms for bass but will need durable, reliable glass.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Re: Fender Basses, Ampeg Amp

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    If you're going to start shaking the walls with your Ampeg I'd recommend sourcing some power tubes. The 7027A hasn't been manufactured in quite some time with the exception of some chicom bottles of questionable quality. You'll need a quartet for your V4B, a pair for a B25B. Both amps are sturdy platforms for bass but will need durable, reliable glass.
    Thanks, pm. I know that these reissues have different tubes from the original V4 amps. If I can't find the 7027As, is there anything else you recommend?
    Last edited by ch willie; 02-06-2022 at 06:39 PM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison