Thread: Charvel Gotoh 510 Custom doesnt stay in tune

Forum Member

Charvel Gotoh 510 Custom doesnt stay in tune

Hi! New to this forum, but Im just searching for some help on this technical question. I recently got the Charvel Pro Mod DK24 and im loving it.
    The only issue is the tremolo system, which is a real bummer because I have been listening to a lot of Jeff Beck and Shawn lane in my years, who
    both make brilliant use of a floating trem, and I was super excited to be using it myself.

The issue is that the guitar doesn't stay in tune well at all. It is brand new, no modifications or anything. Its primarily the G and B string that are the issue.
    I sat for the last 10 minutes, stretching the strings and re-tuning those two strings, and they would come up sharp in turns of eachother. And it gets even
    worse when I use the trem, even if I use it lightly. The trem itself is angled a bit lower than the rest of the guitar (see images) if thats any help.

Also, the guitar was set up by the guitar shop with 010. strings on it, but I play with 0.08 strings. I would really like to continue playing with this string gauge if possible.

https://imgur.com/a/2opyGbJ

Anyways, thanks a bunch for answers! From one guitar lover to you all.

Re: Charvel Gotoh 510 Custom doesnt stay in tune

Welcome to TFF! I don't play with a trem, so until someone who does stops by and gives you an answer, the first thing that jumped out at me was the light gauge (0.08). Used with a tremolo, I shouldn't wonder the strings don't stay in tune. The players I've read who make use of a trem usually put a heavier gauge on their guitars, and then tune down a half or full step. Robin Trower does this, mostly to get the bends he wants, but he uses a very heavy (0.12 or 0.13) gauge.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!