Thread: Spark Practice Amp by Positive Grid?

Spark Practice Amp by Positive Grid?

Does anyone own or tried this little powerhouse? I saw and heard a YT video where the player said all he was using was a Spark amp plugged into his computer via the headphone jack. It sounded pretty good, so I went and checked them out. https://www.positivegrid.com/

Not expensive, small enough to put into its own gig bag, and chock-full of effects, connections, and powered by a 40w amp driving two 4" speakers. The company offers an "official" Hendrix collection of gear and presets, which might appeal to some.

I already own a Line6 AMPLIFi 30, which has many of the same features, but Line6 seems to have abandoned the amp, which means lack of support, upgrades, and future enhancements. They seem comparable in size (Line6 = 8.3 x 10.5 x 5 inches, Spark = 13.78 x 7.08 x 7.48 in) and features, so I wonder what others' impressions are.

For visual sizing purposes, here is my AMPLIFi30 with my EC Strat.

And the stock photo of the Spark:

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Spark Practice Amp by Positive Grid?

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Does anyone own or tried this little powerhouse? I saw and heard a YT video where the player said all he was using was a Spark amp plugged into his computer via the headphone jack. It sounded pretty good, so I went and checked them out. https://www.positivegrid.com/

Not expensive, small enough to put into its own gig bag, and chock-full of effects, connections, and powered by a 40w amp driving two 4" speakers. The company offers an "official" Hendrix collection of gear and presets, which might appeal to some.

I already own a Line6 AMPLIFi 30, which has many of the same features, but Line6 seems to have abandoned the amp, which means lack of support, upgrades, and future enhancements. They seem comparable in size (Line6 = 8.3 x 10.5 x 5 inches, Spark = 13.78 x 7.08 x 7.48 in) and features, so I wonder what others' impressions are.

For visual sizing purposes, here is my AMPLIFi30 with my EC Strat.

And the stock photo of the Spark:

I was looking at Grid Positive when they first came out, as a software emulator IIANM before they started making physical gear. I need to buy more stuff like I need more holes in my head but I'm intrigued by this.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

The problem I have with disposable income is that I'm always looking for ways to dispose of it!
    Striving to be ordinary

Forum Member

I disposed of a couple hundred bucks and bought one of these. I paid for it when it was on pre-order and I think it took about 6-8 months to finally ship. I thought it was pretty cool but for some reason I only played around with it for a couple of hours an it's just been sitting around collecting dust ever since.
    It has a couple of okay backing tracks but most of the features that they advertise require you to set up an account in their app and you have to pay for any additional content.

I think my major problem with modeling amps is the player: Me. I think I'm so used to playing clean for so long, that when I start fiddling around with knobs, dials and downloads, I start losing focus on the playing.
    Striving to be ordinary

Forum Member

It looks like they have added some free stuff to the app, I started flipping through it this morning at work. I think I'll dust if off and give it another try later this evening. The one thing
    I didn't like is that there is no output for an extension speaker or amp but I guess it's okay for practice around the house. The two little four inch speakers do put out a pretty good sound
    I suppose I could try plugging the headphone out into another amp, I don't think I've ever tried that before.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

A "line out" certainly would've added some versatility.

Probably would've added only a buck or two to the per-unit cost.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

So, I kinda let this thread drop because I've been having a pretty good time with my Line6 AMPLIFi30. I guess I started "awful-izing" about what might happen should I need support on it. So far, I haven't. And unless and until I do, adding a Spark would be just bringing in one more box in the house with no place to put it...
    Striving to be ordinary

So, I kinda let this thread drop because I've been having a pretty good time with my Line6 AMPLIFi30. I guess I started "awful-izing" about what might happen should I need support on it. So far, I haven't. And unless and until I do, adding a Spark would be just bringing in one more box in the house with no place to put it...
    Do you have a headphone amp? I just bought one for the bass and the Fender Mustang Micro. A review or two to fo.low.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Do you have a headphone amp? I just bought one for the bass and the Fender Mustang Micro. A review or two to fo.low.

I looked at the Fender Mustang Micro. Didn't pull the trigger on it because I have no need. I live alone and most of my neighbors are hard of hearing.
    Striving to be ordinary

I looked at the Fender Mustang Micro. Didn't pull the trigger on it because I have no need. I live alone and most of my neighbors are hard of hearing.
    =

I can get loud here too. I got them for the portability. When we go to my gf's house, I don't want to carry an amp, but it'd be nice to strap on the bass when I sit on her deck.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison