Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Parts Strats?

Re: Your Parts Strats?

Quote Originally Posted by ajwain View Post
    In the UK, the first guy to play an imported Strat in 1959 was Hank Marvin of The Shadows. He was an instrumental pioneer and a very influential player.
    He was famous for his Fiesta Red Strat, with gold hardware and a birdseye maple neck. He was always one of my heroes and a big influence.
    My own “parts”caster was built in homage to Mr Marvin and I called it “Hankenstein”

http://www.wainhouse.plus.com/images/Hankenstein.JPG
    Nice. I was thinking of a similar build.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

In the UK, the first guy to play an imported Strat in 1959 was Hank Marvin of The Shadows. He was an instrumental pioneer and a very influential player.
    He was famous for his Fiesta Red Strat, with gold hardware and a birdseye maple neck. He was always one of my heroes and a big influence.
    My own “parts”caster was built in homage to Mr Marvin and I called it “Hankenstein”

Your Strat looks fantastic. I'm glad you mentioned Hank and The Shadows. To English guitarists, he was as influential as Buddy Holly. I've seen or read interviews with players who talk about Hank's Strat. In that time, the Strat was rare as any gem on the British Isles.

And that indirect influence directed me towards Strats. Clapton, George Harrison, Dave Gilmour--I believe they each were Strat-hungry after seeing Hank Marvin and The Shadows doing their dances. The beauty of that red Strat was lost on the black and white TVs, but the cool chic of the thing was not lost on budding guitarists.

Hank is 80 now. Here's a film-noir version of Apache.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I love red strats with gold hardware.

TFF Stage Crew

Hank is the reason many Knopfler sig Strats are red

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    How could I forget one of my heroes. I'm actually a bigger fan of his solo stuff than the Dire Straits stuff, excepting Sultans and Brothers in Arms. Two of the greatest songs ever./

Im listening to Hank Marvin's album Without a Word from 2017. Incredible stuff.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    I thought they were all Torino Red?
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I thought they were all Torino Red?
    Hank mostly played Fiesta Red with a maple fingerboard, although in the early days he was seen with rosewood ‘board Strats.
    Knopfler lusted after a red Strat in the window of a music shop in Newcastle-upon-Tyne in the north-east of the UK. He wanted one like Hank’s and that was the closest he’d seen. The one he eventually bought was I think in Dakota Red with rosewood. He still has this guitar, and this is the one his signature guitar is modelled after.
    Last edited by ajwain; 02-16-2022 at 03:15 AM.