Thread: How Do You Clean Your Guitars?

How Do You Clean Your Guitars?

I saw this question posted on another forum and it got me to thinking: How do you clean your guitar(s)? This site doesn't have a poll option, so it's an open-ended question. I've been spending the weekend re-arranging my guitar room, trying to get the temperature and humidity balanced more evenly, and I noticed some of my guitars have acquired a layer of dust. I have a MusicNomad guitar brush I use to clean off the guitars I'm playing, and it works well for dust and specks, but for dirtier or built-up crud, what do you use? Keeping in mind that I think the answer depends a lot on how the guitar is finished...

1. Nothing. Wipe it down with microfiber
    2. Damp Sponge.
    3. Guitar cleaner.
    4. Window/WD-40. Or something.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: How Do You Clean Your Guitars?

Mine don't usually sit still long enough to accumulate dust.
    I'll occasionally wipe it down with microfiber / chamois / whatever cloths I have handy.
    I'll do a deeper clean using an insrument cleaner, |Dunlop 65, or Virtuoso, or whatever I have, when I do a string change. Depending on the guitar, and how it's looking, I may oil the fretboard if it really needs it, but that's usually only every second or third change.
    NEVER, EVER, EVER use window cleaner or WD40 on a guitar's finish.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

TFF Stage Crew

Usually I use a lint-free microfiber cloth. If it's really bad I'll use the same but damp with just a little dish soap & water

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    NEVER, EVER, EVER use window cleaner or WD40 on a guitar's finish.

That was meant to be sarcasm. However, I do know there are guitar cleaning solutions available.

Striving to be ordinary

clean ... my guitars?

oh, crap. You mean I was supposed to clean them, too? Why didn't somebody tell me this 50 years ago when I started?

Got a bottle of that Dunlop 65 and a micro cloth on my desk beside me. Now how often do I use it? Eh, when I actually focus on the guitar and see how dusty it is? I go through phases of cleaning it after every time I play or when I go to put the guitar down and it sticks to my hand. Slight exaggeration
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I wipe them with a dry cloth after gigging. I’ll condition a RW fretboard with lemon oil but only if it’s real dry. I think I did it two or three times only.

Other than that, a splash of WD40 on the saddle screws and screw heads if they show rust or tarnish, applied very carefully so the product never reaches wood or plastic.

I'm like Sergio, wipe it off after a show and into the case.

They only get dusty if you leave them out so that cures that problem.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Looks like someone found a way to extract money from people who already had a cheaper source for these supplies- a cheap plastic-handled paint brush and a microfiber cloth are all anyone needs. If the paint brush bristles are too soft, they can be cut back to make them stiffer.

I usually give my guitars a light cleaning when I change the strings. I prefer using a drying oil (one that won't leave a gummy residue or build up over time) such as mineral oil or linseed oil. A good article on this can be found here. And then, only when the neck/fingerboard appears overly dry. Most of the time, I simply wipe down a guitar with a microfiber cloth, and sometimes I'll apply a little Stringjoy String Conditioner (I don't know if it actually extends the life of strings, but it's all-natural, non-corrosive, and hasn't caused any negative effects).

I do keep handy a nifty combination microfiber swab and soft brush (the MusicNomad "Nomad Tool") for times when I notice dust or grime building up under the strings.

Striving to be ordinary